Ken

Default REQ: Help on choosing a grill

I've been looking at grills for my new home. Target has an
all-stainless Thermos (the burners were cast iron) for $400. I like
the idea of all stainless since I'm in FL. I also looked at the the
Vermont Casting at Home depot for $400. It is very well made but not
100% stainless. I'm interested in hearing opinions on either of these
two units.

Thank you - Ken
jdoe

Default Help on choosing a grill

In the lower price range try not to fall for the all stainless trap. I did
and I can tell you other than "wow is that shiny" it won't get you anything
more. Especially with the cast iron burners. Example: The Member's Mark I
got has been becoming a bigger disappointment by the day this winter. It
showed alot of promise but it's strictly a fair weather friend. Instead I
keep finding myself going back to my good old weber genesis II. $$ for $$ it
has been the best cooking unit I"ve used.
Larry
"Ken" <kandjh@comcastDOTnet> wrote in message
> I've been looking at grills for my new home. Target has an
> all-stainless Thermos (the burners were cast iron) for $400. I like
> the idea of all stainless since I'm in FL. I also looked at the the
> Vermont Casting at Home depot for $400. It is very well made but not
> 100% stainless. I'm interested in hearing opinions on either of these
> two units.
>
> Thank you - Ken

Steve S

>Instead I
>keep finding myself going back to my good old weber genesis II

Yep, check them out while your at Home Depot. Their models have the porcelain
coated cast iron grates, other stores don't. I'm on my second Weber ( I used
the first...a genesis XX for 10 years and it still works fine. My father-in-law
is using it now) It lived outside the whole time and the only reason I replaced
it was to upgrade to a three burner model for more heat. The newer one is 4
yrs. old and doesn't get treated any better...works great (and sears steaks
better,too) Don't get me wrong. You will have to replace burners & "flavorizer
bars" every 5-6 years but it's alot cheaper than a new grill.
Weber's customer service if good, too.

Steve