barooo

Default Well, I took the plunge

After doing my taxes, I discovered I'm getting a $3900 refund (holy
crap! Mortgage interest makes a big difference ! So, I took this
as a sign that it's time, and I ordered a Klose Backyard Chef today.
I got it with the optional baffle for the upright, and the rods for
hanging. I decided not to get the 1/2" firebox because of the extra
weight and additional cost + additional freight (it would have been
like $600 extra, all told), I'll try adding some firebricks or
something for winter cooking.

I also ordered a charcoal basket and a couple of rib racks.

They had one in stock, and it shipped today, so it should be here
Wednesday. Too bad I didn't order it a week ago, I'm cooking 4
shoulders tomorrow for the superbowl on Sunday. I guess this will be
the last big cook on my ECB, although I may still use it for the
single rack of ribs or single chicken type cooks.

Now I just need to find a firewood source. In the meantime, I'll
probably buy a bag of 12" apple logs and a bag of oak or hickory logs
from Smoke & Fire down on 151st (Olathe/Overland Park Kansas). I've
got some cherry in 6" pieces already for doing chickens or turkeys,
and I suppose those will work pretty well. I've also got some
hardwood flooring (unfinished of course) scraps that'd probably be a
good heat base with the strong woods like mesquite.
AG

this will be
> the last big cook on my ECB, although I may still use it for the
> single rack of ribs or single chicken type cooks.

I thought about getting rid of my ECB, but even with more space in the new
pit there are still times I think I will use the ECB. When I want to cook
two things at different temps or such.
Have fun with your new pit. Just think how much sooner you could have gotten
it if Uncle Sam hadn't taken your money in the first place ;-)

ag

barooo

"AG" > wrote in message >...
> this will be

> pit there are still times I think I will use the ECB. When I want to cook
> two things at different temps or such.

Well, with the BYC, I can have two different temps, with the
horizontal and th main

But I'll definitely keep it for quickies.

> Have fun with your new pit. Just think how much sooner you could have gotten
> it if Uncle Sam hadn't taken your money in the first place ;-)

No kidding. It's like $350 a month that should have been mine!

> ag

AG

> Well, with the BYC, I can have two different temps, with the
> horizontal and th main

shows what I know

ag

AG

out of curiosity,
What kind of temperature differential can you get between the two? 50
degrees or more?
ag

barooo

"AG" > wrote in message >...
> out of curiosity,
> What kind of temperature differential can you get between the two? 50
> degrees or more?
> ag

Well, this is based on what I've read and what they told me at Klose
since I haven't used it yet, but with the baffle "open", there is
about a 50 degree difference between the horizontal and the vertical,
and with the baffle "closed", it's about 100 degrees.

So if the main is at 250, the horizontal could be as low as 150-175,
or you could take the baffle out and run the main at about 250-275 and
the upright at about 225-250. This is the reason that I went with a
3-chamber config, for versatility. If you're having a hard time
picturing this, go to www.bbqpits.com and find the "backyard chef"
model to get a better idea.
AG

I had seen the three chamber configs but it never registered that there
might be a temp difference. I had thought it was probably just for the extra
space.
Thanks for the edumacation.
Have fun with the pit!

ag

Matthew L. Martin

AG wrote:
> this will be
>
>>the last big cook on my ECB, although I may still use it for the
>>single rack of ribs or single chicken type cooks.

> I thought about getting rid of my ECB, but even with more space in the new
> pit there are still times I think I will use the ECB. When I want to cook
> two things at different temps or such.
> Have fun with your new pit. Just think how much sooner you could have gotten
> it if Uncle Sam hadn't taken your money in the first place ;-)

Get real. Baroo could have changed his withholding information and
gotten that money in his paycheck. That certainly isn't the government's
fault

Matthew

Steve Wertz

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 18:11:18 GMT, "Matthew L. Martin"
> wrote:

>Get real. Baroo could have changed his withholding information and
>gotten that money in his paycheck. That certainly isn't the government's
>fault

Better to play it safe, rather than having to pay later. Uncle
Sam doesn't pay interest though, so if you pay a *lot* of taxes,
it's better to hold onto them yourself until April 15th.

-sw (Only $1,800 richer in a few weeks - Gonna get me a #11)
barooo

"Matthew L. Martin" > wrote in message ws.com>...

> Get real. Baroo could have changed his withholding information and
> gotten that money in his paycheck. That certainly isn't the government's
> fault

I've already changed my witholdings. The year before I owed about
$1500 so I upped my witholdings, but I also bought a house, and didn't
change my witholdings back to account for that $15K in interest.

Next year, if my math is right, I should get back just enough to cover
city income tax & personal property tax on my car. I'd much rather
get it during the year than loan it to the gummint, without interest.
At $350 a month, I could have ordered the Klose last fall

M&M

On 31-Jan-2004, (barooo) wrote:

> If you're having a hard time
> picturing this, go to
www.bbqpits.com and find the "backyard chef"
> model to get a better idea.

All I can say is 'WOW'. That's got to be the 'end all' rust bucket.
Makes my New Braunfels look like an orphan child. SWMBO'd
would kill me. I cooked 20# of pork on the 25th of Jan and it'll
take us a couple of months to eat that even with giving half of
if away. I need a good lie to tell her to justify getting that Back-
yard Chef.

M&M

barooo wrote (with one deletion added by replier):

> I ordered a K_________ today.
>
> They had one in stock, and it shipped today, so it should be here
> Wednesday.

A Kamado wanna-be owner's wet-dream...

Numbers Plunge! Johnnie McCoy Diabetic 8 04-06-2008 04:35 PM
Took the plunge, now need input Nyssa Preserving 2 02-06-2005 08:41 PM
WSM, ok so I finally took the plunge! Steve Calvin Barbecue 18 31-08-2004 05:14 PM
froth milk in press/plunge pot? fg Coffee 2 16-01-2004 08:55 AM
frothing milk with plunge/press pot ? fg General Cooking 1 19-11-2003 06:33 PM