Captin-Hook

Default Sauce recipe

"It is very significant that some of the most thoughtful and cultured
men are partisans of a pure vegetable diet." -- Mahatma Gandhi

"The animals you eat are not those who devour others; you do not eat
the carnivorous beasts, you take them as your pattern. You only hunger
after sweet and gentle creatures who harm no one, which follow you,
serve you, and are devoured by you as the reward of their service." --
Jean Jacques Rousseau

"This [video footage from the movie Babe] is the way Americans want to
think of pigs. Real-life 'Babes' see no sun in their limited lives,
with no hay to lie on, no mud to roll in. The sows live in tiny cages,
so narrow they can't even turn around. They live over metal grates,
and their waste is pushed through slats beneath them and flushed into
huge pits." -- Morley Safer, 60 Minutes

"Think of me tonite/ For that which you savor/ Did it give you
something real,/ or could you taste the pain of my death in its
flavor?" -- Wayne K. Tolson
Kevin S. Wilson

On 22 Jan 2004 05:49:38 -0800, (Captin-Hook)
made it easy to repost these recipes:

#1 Lexington #1 Dipping Sauce

1 quart ketchup
1 quart vinegar - (amber 4% acidity)
10 ounces sugar
8 ounces salt
4 ounces black pepper
4 ounces crushed red pepper
1 pinch red cayenne pepper - ground

Combine all ingredients into a 1.5 gallon stock pot along
with 1 gallon of water and bring to a boil, stirring
occasionally. Spoon the piping hot dip onto the prepared
meat just prior to serving. This is a very thin sauce,
but it is the same formula that has been used around here
for generations.

This recipe was posted a while back by the son-in-law of
the owner of Lexington #1, a highly regarded Q-joint.
There is a certain amount of vagueness about whether the
measurements are by weight or volume. I used weight for
the dry ingredients and am very happy with the results.

#2 Lexington Barbecue Dip

3/4 cup distilled white or cider vinegar
3/4 cup ketchup
3/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes - crushed
salt and pepper - to taste
1 teaspoon sugar
1/4 cup water

Recipe by: Craig Claiborne Combine all ingredients in a
small sauce pan and bring to a simmer. Cook, stirring,
until the sugar dissolves.

Remove from heat and let stand until cool. Spoon sauce
over Barbequed meats or poultry.

#3 Lexington Dipping Sauce #1

1/2 quart ketchup
1/2 quart vinegar (4%)
1/2 cup pepper
1/2 cup crushed red pepper
2 cups kosher salt
2 1/4 cups sugar
1 pinch cayenne

Made up a batch of Lexington #1 dipping sauce to go with my
pork butt tonight. Very delicious, indeed. I broke it down
in half and used the highly scientific method of buying 2
ounces of pepper, measuring it, and using that as the basis
for dried measurements.
Next time I'll reduce the salt and sugar a little bit
(1/8 to 1/4 cup each?)

Sauce was great.. Perfect compliment to pork. The idea of
using it hot is so obvious, but was a big revelation to me.
Keeps the meat nice and hot. Didn't get around to making slaw.

#4 Lexington NC BBQ Sauce

1 1/2 cups cider vinegar
1/2 cup ketchup
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt

Preparation: Combine in a bowl and stir to dissolve sugar.
Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.

#5 Lexington NC BBQ Sauce

1 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup ketchup
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon red pepper
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt

Preparation: Combine all ingredients in a saucepan and bring
to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.

#6 Lexington NC BBQ Sauce

1 cup ketchup
1 cup water
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1 small onion - finely chopped
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons molasses
2 teaspoons dry mustard
1 teaspoon chili powder

Preparation: Combine all ingredients in a saucepan and simmer
for 20 minutes.

#7 Lexington NC BBQ Sauce

1 cup apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon celery salt
1/2 cup ketchup
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon brown sugar
1 cup water

Preparation: Combine all ingredients and bring to a boil.

#8 Lexington NC BBQ Sauce

1 1/2 cups cider vinegar
1/2 cup ketchup
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
1/8 tablespoon red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1/2 cup water

Preparation: Combine all ingredients in a saucepan.
Bring to a boil, then simmer and stir sugar until d
issolved.

#9 Lexington NC BBQ Sauce

1/2 cup water
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1 cup ketchup
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon Tabasco sauce
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 onion - chopped

Preparation: Mix all ingredients in a saucepan and
simmer for one hour.

#10 Lexington NC BBQ Sauce

1 1/2 cups cider vinegar
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup ketchup
1 teaspoon salt
1 onion - chopped
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/8 teaspoon red pepper

Preparation: Mix all ingredients in a saucepan and boil
slowly for 15 minutes.

#11 Lexington-Style Barbeque Dip

3 cups apple cider vinegar
2/3 cup brown or white sugar
1/2 cup ketchup
2 tablespoons Texas Pete hot sauce
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon onion powder
2 teaspoons Kitchen Bouquet browning sauce

Combine all ingredients in a large pot. Bring to a simmer
over medium heat and stir until sugar dissolves. Let sit
for several hours before serving.

#12 Lexington-Style Finishing Sauce

2 cups white vinegar
2 cups apple cider vinegar
2 cups water
1/3 cup ketchup
1/8 cup Texas Pete hot sauce
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon red pepper flakes

Mix ingredients and simmer on low heat for 30 minutes,
stirring occasionally. Use as a finishing sauce for pulled
pork barbecue.

:

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a University Somewhere in Idaho
Nelson Brooks

South Carolina and its Renowned Mustard Elixir of Life and Divine Porcine
Preparation and Succulent Concocting reign supreme over the Sauce
Demi-Monde...no heathen ketchup or molasses or liquid smoke-type foul sweety
gruel...apple-cider vinegar and moutarde is the way BBQ_Bretheren
(Sistern)...

Monroe, of course...

In article >, "Nelson Brooks"
> wrote:

> South Carolina and its Renowned Mustard Elixir of Life and Divine Porcine
> Preparation and Succulent Concocting reign supreme over the Sauce
> Demi-Monde...no heathen ketchup or molasses or liquid smoke-type foul sweety
> gruel...apple-cider vinegar and moutarde is the way BBQ_Bretheren
> (Sistern)...

Hoo yeh- for a sandlapper, dude you're waaaay too faux-eloquent. Bet
nobody understands you there.
SC brought us goodstuff like Blenheims and toogadoo stew and liver
nips(not the doggie treats either).
SC also bringed us shite like Strom, Clemson, and mustard sauce on pig.
And Demi Monde was also shite in that Charlies Angels movie.....

monroe(lotsa sand to pound in SC too)

PS lex-nex is for twits

Nelson Brooks

"Monroe, of course..." > wrote in message
> In article >, "Nelson Brooks"
> > wrote:
>
> > South Carolina and its Renowned Mustard Elixir of Life and Divine

Porcine
> > Preparation and Succulent Concocting reign supreme over the Sauce
> > Demi-Monde...no heathen ketchup or molasses or liquid smoke-type foul

sweety
> > gruel...apple-cider vinegar and moutarde is the way BBQ_Bretheren
> > (Sistern)...

> Hoo yeh- for a sandlapper, dude you're waaaay too faux-eloquent. Bet
> nobody understands you there.
> SC brought us goodstuff like Blenheims and toogadoo stew and liver
> nips(not the doggie treats either).
> SC also bringed us shite like Strom, Clemson, and mustard sauce on pig.
> And Demi Monde was also shite in that Charlies Angels movie.....
>
> monroe(lotsa sand to pound in SC too)
>
> PS lex-nex is for twits

i do love a good insult especially when it is delivered by someone that not
only uses faux in banter but manages also to embody it and in the spirit of
this riposte that utilized what little francophilia that filters down to the
heretical ketchup fructose corn syrup heathen i shall rejoind that mustard
on a pig is a gift from the enlightened to the blignorant
(blissful+ignorant=blignorant) a touch of cultural philanthropy perhaps a
bit of noblesse-oblige (more francophilic turns of phrase...) delivered from
the sanctum snatorum of the palmetto state to the molasses penal colonies to
our immediate and farther west and the backwood white vinegar outposts to
our north a bow and a flourish from Wade Hampton's horse to Strom's
plantation boogie...Salud.

Monroe, of course...

In article >, "Nelson Brooks"
> wrote:

> i do love a good insult especially when it is delivered by someone that not
> only uses faux in banter but manages also to embody it and in the spirit of
> this riposte that utilized what little francophilia that filters down to the
> heretical ketchup fructose corn syrup heathen i shall rejoind that mustard
> on a pig is a gift from the enlightened to the blignorant
> (blissful+ignorant=blignorant) a touch of cultural philanthropy perhaps a
> bit of noblesse-oblige (more francophilic turns of phrase...) delivered from
> the sanctum snatorum of the palmetto state to the molasses penal colonies to
> our immediate and farther west and the backwood white vinegar outposts to
> our north a bow and a flourish from Wade Hampton's horse to Strom's
> plantation boogie...Salud.

Sauce moutard avec confit du porc? Fout le camp!

monroe(du scheisst)

PS Wade Hampton wears pantyhose and so does his horse.
Jack Curry

Monroe, of course... wrote:
> In article >, "Nelson Brooks"
> > wrote:
>
>> i do love a good insult especially when it is delivered by someone
>> that not only uses faux in banter but manages also to embody it and
>> in the spirit of this riposte that utilized what little francophilia
>> that filters down to the heretical ketchup fructose corn syrup
>> heathen i shall rejoind that mustard on a pig is a gift from the
>> enlightened to the blignorant (blissful+ignorant=blignorant) a touch
>> of cultural philanthropy perhaps a bit of noblesse-oblige (more
>> francophilic turns of phrase...) delivered from the sanctum snatorum
>> of the palmetto state to the molasses penal colonies to our
>> immediate and farther west and the backwood white vinegar outposts
>> to our north a bow and a flourish from Wade Hampton's horse to
>> Strom's plantation boogie...Salud.

> Sauce moutard avec confit du porc? Fout le camp!
>
> monroe(du scheisst)
>
> PS Wade Hampton wears pantyhose and so does his horse.

Hahahahahaha! Pantyhose!
Monroe, you kill me.
Jack Curry

M&M Man

Must be a new record, a single sentence with no caps or periods
and a measly 121 +/- words in it. How did you ever get past the
fourth grade dude? Or did you?

M&M
Nelson Brooks

and yet you garnered enough meaning to reply with this paltry jibe about
punctuation which was indeed quite reminiscent of the fourth
grade....shite-a-bed scoundrel, doddipol jolthead...use some style with your
insults as in style manual...get
it...punctuation...ellipsis...faulkner...joyce...p antyhose

"M&M Man" > wrote in message
> Must be a new record, a single sentence with no caps or periods
> and a measly 121 +/- words in it. How did you ever get past the
> fourth grade dude? Or did you?
>
> M&M

need a hot dog sauce recipe chet General Cooking 26 25-12-2016 05:04 PM
BBQ Sauce Recipe Paul the Q noob General Cooking 29 16-06-2008 11:14 PM
BBQ sauce recipe Don Diabetic 0 12-05-2007 10:04 AM
HOT BBQ Sauce recipe? [email protected] Barbecue 13 28-08-2005 04:54 PM
Recipe for the Worlds #1 BBQ Sauce Recipe. Dave Bugg Barbecue 0 24-04-2005 05:07 AM