Graeme... in London

Default Which Salt in Brine?

I've got a little confused as to what types of salt you can or can't use in
a brine.

The majority of recipes for brine call for Kosher salt, however I recently
brined a Turkey where the recipe for the brine asked for 9oz sea salt OR 4
1/2oz table salt.

Now my query. Why would you not use iodised salt in brine? Does it impart an
unwelcome flavour? (When I have used it, I've never noticed an aftertaste
and it disolves easier than rock or sea salt) Iodine is in fact healthy and
I read that your daily intake should be at least 150 micrograms. All salts
use an anti caking agent so why recommend Kosher salt? Surely 100% sea salt
should be the salt of choice.

Graeme

Alan Street

In article >,
says...

>I've got a little confused as to what types of salt you can or can't use in
>a brine.
>
>The majority of recipes for brine call for Kosher salt, however I recently
>brined a Turkey where the recipe for the brine asked for 9oz sea salt OR 4
>1/2oz table salt.
>
>Now my query. Why would you not use iodised salt in brine? Does it impart an
>unwelcome flavour? (When I have used it, I've never noticed an aftertaste
>and it disolves easier than rock or sea salt) Iodine is in fact healthy and
>I read that your daily intake should be at least 150 micrograms. All salts
>use an anti caking agent so why recommend Kosher salt? Surely 100% sea salt
>should be the salt of choice.
>
>Graeme

While there are some subtle differences in flavor between sea salt, kosher
salt, idodized table salt, etc., I've never been able to taste the difference
when I used them in brines. Here, I think the term "salt is salt" is pretty
close. The biggest difference between table salt and kosher salt is density - a
handful of kosher salt weighs less than a handful of table salt. Some recipes
that specify a volume of salt will, for example, call for 1 cup of kosher salt
or 1/2 cup of table salt. Specifying the amount of salt by weight gives more
consistant results that aren't as dependant on the type.

Personally, I usually figure the amount of salt by adding it to cold water
until it tastes salty enough. I tend to use the local ocean as a "saltiness
standard," but that's just what works for me. For those that don't happen
to have an ocean handy, you can find a recipe that you like, then after you add
the specified amount of salt (and have completely dissolved it), taste the
brine. Next time, even if you're using a different type of salt, you can
achieve the same level.

Alan

A. Kesteloo

how about te trick with the unboiled egg?
some say, add salt till the (fresh, otherwise to much air in the egg) egg
floats.
will this work for all kinds of salt?

"Graeme... in London" > wrote in message
> I've got a little confused as to what types of salt you can or can't use

in
> a brine.
>
> The majority of recipes for brine call for Kosher salt, however I recently
> brined a Turkey where the recipe for the brine asked for 9oz sea salt OR 4
> 1/2oz table salt.
>
> Now my query. Why would you not use iodised salt in brine? Does it impart

an
> unwelcome flavour? (When I have used it, I've never noticed an aftertaste
> and it disolves easier than rock or sea salt) Iodine is in fact healthy

and
> I read that your daily intake should be at least 150 micrograms. All salts
> use an anti caking agent so why recommend Kosher salt? Surely 100% sea

salt
> should be the salt of choice.
>
> Graeme

TFM®

"Graeme... in London" > wrote in message
> I've got a little confused as to what types of salt you can or can't use

in
> a brine.
>
> The majority of recipes for brine call for Kosher salt, however I recently
> brined a Turkey where the recipe for the brine asked for 9oz sea salt OR 4
> 1/2oz table salt.
>
> Now my query. Why would you not use iodised salt in brine? Does it impart

an
> unwelcome flavour? (When I have used it, I've never noticed an aftertaste
> and it disolves easier than rock or sea salt) Iodine is in fact healthy

and
> I read that your daily intake should be at least 150 micrograms. All salts
> use an anti caking agent so why recommend Kosher salt? Surely 100% sea

salt
> should be the salt of choice.
>
> Graeme

Pickling salt my friend. No anti-caking agents (silicon dioxide = sand
(food grade sand though))

Pickling salt is pure to produce a clear pickle brine. We were discussing
brines, right? <G>

Personally I don't give a shit if my brine has sea, kosher, pickling, or
rock salt in it. It'll all do the purpose if it's in solution.

TFM®

Ol' Hippie

Wonder what would happen if I used actual Ocean water? P-U-L-E-N-T-Y a few
hunert yards pass the cliffs.
Bruce-n-Gold Beach

Duwop

> On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 17:16:41 -0000, "Graeme... in London"
> > wrote:
>

>> I've got a little confused as to what types of salt you can or can't
>> use in a brine.
>>
>> The majority of recipes for brine call for Kosher salt, however I
>> recently brined a Turkey where the recipe for the brine asked for
>> 9oz sea salt OR 4 1/2oz table salt.

Right, that's the accepted ratio because of kosher salt's volume to weight
ratio differential as compared to table salt. 1 table salt = 2 kosher.

I can taste the iodine and really prefer kosher. We get plenty of iodine as
it is already.

Here's previous discussions on the subject:
<http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...ewwindow=1&saf
e=off&q=salt+volume&meta=group%3Dalt.food.barbecue >

Dale

Edwin Pawlowski

"Ol' Hippie" <olhippieATcharterDOTnet> wrote in message
> Wonder what would happen if I used actual Ocean water? P-U-L-E-N-T-Y a few
> hunert yards pass the cliffs.
> Bruce-n-Gold Beach

Don't do it. Last time I went swimming in the ocean I also peed in it.
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

Harry Demidavicius

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 03:06:11 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski" >
wrote:

>"Ol' Hippie" <olhippieATcharterDOTnet> wrote in message
>> Wonder what would happen if I used actual Ocean water? P-U-L-E-N-T-Y a few
>> hunert yards pass the cliffs.
>> Bruce-n-Gold Beach

>Don't do it. Last time I went swimming in the ocean I also peed in it.
>Ed

>http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

And fish **** in it . . . . . That's it - I will never eat shellfish
again!

Harry :0)

Jack Sloan

"Harry Demidavicius" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 03:06:11 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski" >
> wrote:
>

> >"Ol' Hippie" <olhippieATcharterDOTnet> wrote in message
> >> Wonder what would happen if I used actual Ocean water? P-U-L-E-N-T-Y a

few
> >> hunert yards pass the cliffs.
> >> Bruce-n-Gold Beach

> >Don't do it. Last time I went swimming in the ocean I also peed in it.
> >Ed
>
> >http://pages.cthome.net/edhome
> >

> And fish **** in it . . . . . That's it - I will never eat shellfish
> again!
>
> Harry :0)

Ya know what , Harry? Those fish are peeing in the water too.
Jack