AG

Default First fire ?

Hey everyone,

I am a newbie so if I step out of line just give me a nudge in the right
direction. Fired up my new brick pit for the first time yesterday and I have
found that I don't have a clue how to run the thing. I am used to one of
those cute little Brinkman smokers. My new pit is a replica of Dave
Lineback's Sid.
Anyway, I held the temp somewhere between 200 and 250 most of the day with
just one small spike to 300. When I went to check the shoulder after about
six hours I found that it was severly burnt on the outside. The only thing I
can figure is that I did not account for the action of the dirrect radiation
from the coals to the meat. If this is so, I am guessing it does not show up
on a temp gauge. It was real cold when I started so I had to use a lot of
coals to get the pit up to temp. Any thoughts, ideas, or suggestions would
be great!

Thanks
AG

AG

How big was the shoulder?
about 9lbs

How close to the fire?
The lower rack sits 25" from the bottom of the fire pit

Fire source?
I used a combination of oak and hickory burned to coals

Anything in between the fire and the meat?
Just the grate the meat was sitting on

Did I ever turn it?
once about half way through

How cold was it?
when I started cold was 32 degrees

I have a temp gauge in the door that sits just below the second rack ( I
calibrated twice while cooking)

If you want to see a picture of this thing go to www.gayton.net

Thanks,
ag

Pierre

"AG" > wrote in message >...
> Hey everyone,
>
> I am a newbie so if I step out of line just give me a nudge in the right
> direction. Fired up my new brick pit for the first time yesterday and I have
> found that I don't have a clue how to run the thing. I am used to one of
> those cute little Brinkman smokers. My new pit is a replica of Dave
> Lineback's Sid.
> Anyway, I held the temp somewhere between 200 and 250 most of the day with
> just one small spike to 300. When I went to check the shoulder after about
> six hours I found that it was severly burnt on the outside. The only thing I
> can figure is that I did not account for the action of the dirrect radiation
> from the coals to the meat. If this is so, I am guessing it does not show up
> on a temp gauge. It was real cold when I started so I had to use a lot of
> coals to get the pit up to temp. Any thoughts, ideas, or suggestions would
> be great!
>
> Thanks
> AG

I guess you've probably tried it, but see if you can get in touch with
Dave Lineback. (I tried sending him an email last year some time,
only to have it returned as undeliverable). My hats off to you for
atttempting such a classy Q project.

Pierre
TFM®

"AG" > wrote in message
> Hey everyone,
>
> I am a newbie so if I step out of line just give me a nudge in the right
> direction. Fired up my new brick pit for the first time yesterday and I

have
> found that I don't have a clue how to run the thing. I am used to one of
> those cute little Brinkman smokers. My new pit is a replica of Dave
> Lineback's Sid.
> Anyway, I held the temp somewhere between 200 and 250 most of the day with
> just one small spike to 300. When I went to check the shoulder after about
> six hours I found that it was severly burnt on the outside. The only thing

> can figure is that I did not account for the action of the dirrect

radiation
> from the coals to the meat. If this is so, I am guessing it does not show

up
> on a temp gauge. It was real cold when I started so I had to use a lot of
> coals to get the pit up to temp. Any thoughts, ideas, or suggestions would
> be great!
>
> Thanks
> AG

Withought reading further, I must ask, what is the distance in inches
between your coal bed and cooking grate?

24 is ideal. 18 requires almost constant vigilance and an experienced hand.

You *can* cook at one block (8") above the coals, but why stress an
otherwise enjoyable activity.

TFM®

TFM®

"AG" > wrote in message
> How big was the shoulder?
> about 9lbs
>
> How close to the fire?
> The lower rack sits 25" from the bottom of the fire pit
>
> Fire source?
> I used a combination of oak and hickory burned to coals
>
> Anything in between the fire and the meat?
> Just the grate the meat was sitting on
>
> Did I ever turn it?
> once about half way through
>
> How cold was it?
> when I started cold was 32 degrees
>
> I have a temp gauge in the door that sits just below the second rack ( I
> calibrated twice while cooking)
>
> If you want to see a picture of this thing go to www.gayton.net
>
> Thanks,
> ag

I reckon you just got carried away with the shoveling end of the coal
business.

Toss the thermometer and just keep enough coals in there to keep it nice and
warm. (as percieved by your hand on the door)

When it's cooking right there will be no smoke and a wonderful sweet smell
coming from it.

You should also hear the grease dripping into the coals about 5 to 10
seconds apart.

When it's overheated you'll hear something more like a grill and the smoke
will be visible as well as acrid.

Patience Grasshopper. After all, you *did* have all day to cook *didn't*
you? After all, that is what it takes..........all day.

TFM®

AG

Thank you. I had kind of thought along those lines but this was the first
time I had cooked with wood burned to coals. I have used lump and chunks in
the past.

(note to self: when starting a new pit for the first time practice before
you invite everyone for a BBQ)

The good thing was that even with the charred outside on both the pork and a
brisket, I had enough meat to feed the crowd and many said it was the best
they had had. (I have had better and made better in my H2O smoker) We also
put in some ribs on the top rack and they came out great!

ag

Fire & Ice Peppermint Patootie Diabetic 6 23-12-2009 04:32 AM
Fire Down Below Adam General Cooking 1 06-07-2007 07:52 PM
Ship's Tour Of My Universe To Begin - Call To Arms! Duty Stations! Fire When Ready! Cease Fire Procola! Pt III/III Robert Peffers. Preserving 0 03-04-2007 12:57 PM
GW Cat Set On Fire [email protected] Vegan 54 05-04-2005 03:53 PM
Cat Set On Fire [email protected] Vegan 1 25-03-2005 09:40 PM