Tom

Default Barbecue Smoker help required!

I have bought a new vertical barbecue water smoker but I can't seem to be
able to get the thing hot.

The firepan has no holes in it....is this normal?

How much charcoal should I use to get a decent heat?

I'd be grateful for some advice from my American friends who probably have a
lot of experience with these things.

Cheers

Tom

Birmingham
England

Tom wrote:

> I have bought a new vertical barbecue water smoker but I can't seem to be
> able to get the thing hot.
>
> The firepan has no holes in it....is this normal?
>
> How much charcoal should I use to get a decent heat?
>
> I'd be grateful for some advice from my American friends who probably have a
> lot of experience with these things.

Well, I don't have that type of unit but I've read this ng enough to
know the answer <g>-

Check the FAQ

http://www.eaglequest.com/~bbq/faq2/toc.html

specifically this question-

http://www.eaglequest.com/~bbq/faq2/7.html#7.2.1

http://www.eaglequest.com/~bbq/faq2/toc.html

Tom

Thanks for that Jess. I think that will solve my problem. I was probably too
mean with my coals!

Tom

Graeme... in London

Tom,

Welcome to the group. Your posting now doubles the number of UK members we
have posting here. A good start to 2004.

Graeme (the British weather is no help)

"Tom" > wrote in message
> Thanks for that Jess. I think that will solve my problem. I was probably

too
> mean with my coals!
>
> Tom

Duwop

Tom, you own a shotgun? One poster here swears by one for aerating the
firepan. If you're boring, a regular drill would work. TFM (The Fat Man)
posted links to his shotgunned pan a few months back, you could google it up
if you like.

BOB

Tom typed:
> I have bought a new vertical barbecue water smoker but I can't seem to be
> able to get the thing hot.
>
> The firepan has no holes in it....is this normal?

Can you get alt.binaries.food?

If so, ask TFM® to post his pictures of adding holes to the pan. <eg>

TFM®

" BOB" > wrote in message
> Tom typed:
> > I have bought a new vertical barbecue water smoker but I can't seem to

be
> > able to get the thing hot.
> >
> > The firepan has no holes in it....is this normal?
> >

> Can you get alt.binaries.food?
>
> If so, ask TFM® to post his pictures of adding holes to the pan. <eg>

Maybe somebody's got 'em. I don't.

Thankfully I'd already burned most of my pics to CD when the silliness
began.

Last time I installed Windows XP, I formatted the C drive NTFS. The
computer was all japped up one night, and I was drinking heavily so I
decided to format the C drive again and do yet another clean install.

I used a Win 98 boot cd.

I failed to realize that DOS fails to recognize an NTFS partition.

When I typed format c:, I wiped my 40 gig instead of the 4 gig boot drive.

You could hear my jaw hit the floor in the next room.

TFM® - with *LOTS* of storage space now. ;-(

Graeme... in London

Fat Man,

I have archived your photo's. If you want me to re-post them I can. Did they
"burn" well? Sure were a good series of shots.

Graeme (tell me you didn't shotgun the charcoal pan)

"TFM$B%g(B" > wrote in message
om...

> " BOB" > wrote in message
> > Tom typed:
> > > I have bought a new vertical barbecue water smoker but I can't seem to

> be
> > > able to get the thing hot.
> > >
> > > The firepan has no holes in it....is this normal?
> > >

> > Can you get alt.binaries.food?
> >
> > If so, ask TFM$B%g(B to post his pictures of adding holes to the pan. <eg>
> >

> Maybe somebody's got 'em. I don't.
>
> Thankfully I'd already burned most of my pics to CD when the silliness
> began.
>
> Last time I installed Windows XP, I formatted the C drive NTFS. The
> computer was all japped up one night, and I was drinking heavily so I
> decided to format the C drive again and do yet another clean install.
>
> I used a Win 98 boot cd.
>
> I failed to realize that DOS fails to recognize an NTFS partition.
>
> When I typed format c:, I wiped my 40 gig instead of the 4 gig boot drive.
>
> You could hear my jaw hit the floor in the next room.
>

> TFM$B%g(B - with *LOTS* of storage space now. ;-(

TFM®

"Graeme... in London" > wrote in message
s.com...
> Fat Man,
>
> I have archived your photo's. If you want me to re-post them I can. Did

they
> "burn" well? Sure were a good series of shots.
>
> Graeme (tell me you didn't shotgun the charcoal pan)

There's 9, nine mm balls in a 12 guage 00 buckshot cartridge.

9 is precisely the number of holes needed in an ECB.

TFM®

Graeme... in London

> There's 9, nine mm balls in a 12 guage 00 buckshot cartridge.
>
> 9 is precisely the number of holes needed in an ECB.
>
> TFM$B%g(B
>
> Fat Man

I went and studied your photo again, and unless my eyes are kidding me,
there are over 20 holes in the pan.

Graeme (1/2 dozen for me)

"TFM®" > wrote in
om:

> "Graeme... in London" > wrote in message
> s.com...
>> Fat Man,
>>
>> I have archived your photo's. If you want me to re-post them I can. Did

> they
>> "burn" well? Sure were a good series of shots.
>>
>> Graeme (tell me you didn't shotgun the charcoal pan)

> There's 9, nine mm balls in a 12 guage 00 buckshot cartridge.
>
> 9 is precisely the number of holes needed in an ECB.
>
> TFM®

Listen to TFM®. If you use a magnum you're gonna end up with
fifteen holes and you dont want that.

M&M Man
Rick M.

"Duwop" > wrote in message

> Tom, you own a shotgun? One poster here swears by one for aerating the
> firepan. If you're boring, a regular drill would work. TFM (The Fat Man)
> posted links to his shotgunned pan a few months back, you could google it

up
> if you like.
>
> --

Would this procedure be benificial to a Brinkman electric water smoker?

Rick