FoodBanter.com

-   -   Ivan's salsa (https://www.foodbanter.com/barbecue/19514-re-ivans-salsa.html)

JasonW 14-12-2003 07:21 PM

Ivan's salsa

> wrote in message
> Met Ivan, a Latvian immigrant, at a bar last night when I went out for
> chile verde. After he ate one of my just picked Thai chile peppers,

without
> breaking a sweat and commented, "Tasty", I gave him the rest of the bag.

He
> then gave me his 'salsa' recipe. I haven't made this yet, having just got
> the recipe last night. He's obviously a chile-garlic head and he smelled
> like garlic!
>
> Ivan's Spicy & Sweet 'Salsa' (maybe Chutney)
>
> 50 to 100 chile peppers of your choice and mix, chopped
> 4 cups garlic, minced
> 4 white onions, chopped
> 4 mangoes, chopped
> 1 pineapple, chopped
> 1/2 cup coconut 'syrup' (maybe he meant heavy milk - he said syrup)
> salt to taste
>
> Mix all ingredients and slow cook around 15 minutes. Mash, grind or blend.
>
> --
> Nick, Retired in the San Fernando Valley www.boonchoo.com
> "Giving violent criminals a government guarantee that their intended
> victims are defenseless is bad public policy."
> - John Ross, "Unintended Consequences"

There is coconut syrup that us used as a flavoring at coffee shops. Perhaps
that is what he meant.

-JasonW

Spud 16-12-2003 06:04 PM

Ivan's salsa

> 1/2 cup coconut 'syrup' (maybe he meant heavy milk - he said syrup)
> salt to taste

I've got a can of Cream of Coconut from Dainty-Pak we picked up at McFrugals
for 99 cents.

Coconut milk, sugar, water, anti-freeze, and chemicals to make it "rich and
creamy." . Sounds like what you want.

Bill 16-12-2003 09:27 PM

Ivan's salsa

In article >,
says...
> "Spud" > wrote:
> > > 1/2 cup coconut 'syrup' (maybe he meant heavy milk - he said syrup)
> > > salt to taste
> > >

> > I've got a can of Cream of Coconut from Dainty-Pak we picked up at
> > McFrugals for 99 cents.
> >
> > Coconut milk, sugar, water, anti-freeze, and chemicals to make it "rich
> > and creamy." . Sounds like what you want.

> Anti-freeze? Ant-freeze?? I may be a heavy drinker, but I draw the line
> just short of methanol and ethylene di-glycol!
>
> "A shaynem dank dir im pupik."

Probably talkin' about propylene glycol. You'd be surprised
where they use that stuff.

Bill

Spud 16-12-2003 10:30 PM

Ivan's salsa

> Probably talkin' about propylene glycol.

10-4

Bill 17-12-2003 03:33 AM

Ivan's salsa

In article >,
says...
> Bill > wrote:
> > []
> > Probably talkin' about propylene glycol.

> I thought that was what you emitted after eating a mess of beans.
> Or is that propane?

Methane for amatures, propane for those that do it for a
living.

Bill