Anthony

Default Temperature probe

I'm asking to find out about this wireless BBQ temperature probe. Have
you used it? Were you happy with its performance? Have you used any
others that you like?
Thanks.

see BBQ temperature probe at
http://www.smarthome.com/3217.html

Duwop

Anthony wrote:
> I'm asking to find out about this wireless BBQ temperature probe.
> Have you used it? Were you happy with its performance? Have you
> used any others that you like?

I was given one made by Brookstone that's almost worthless, it must be set
to a cooking temp so it can function as the warning device it was intended
to be.
Bad thing is, is no meat is normally done to 190, so that setting is
unavailable, heck 170 is the highest available, and I can't use it to
monitor the air temp. with. Almost useless.
This one looks different so hopefully it's not designed with that particular
flaw.

JasonW

"Anthony" > wrote in message
.com...
> I'm asking to find out about this wireless BBQ temperature probe. Have
> you used it? Were you happy with its performance? Have you used any
> others that you like?
> Thanks.
>
> see BBQ temperature probe at
> http://www.smarthome.com/3217.html

I have a non-wireless digital thermometer that I have used a couple of times
now, and it has proven quite useful. The wireless feature would be nice so
that I don't have to keep going back to check on the temp. The only drawback
I have seen is that the ambient temperature is supposed to stay below 392F
or the probe can melt, which isn't a problem generally for BBQ, but can be
for regular roasting.

I have a separate dial thermometer for measuring air temp on the grill. Just
drilled a hole in the lid and attached it.

-JasonW

Saunka [BOA]

I can't comment on the one you posted, but I can tell you that I've had the
Redi-Chek ET-73 now for 6 months and it works great. I liked mine so much,
I bought one for my dad too.

http://www.thegadgetsource.com/011502013733.html

I bought mine from this store though I'm not associated with them. They
seemed to have the best price on it when I was looking around back in May.

"Anthony" > wrote in message
.com...
> I'm asking to find out about this wireless BBQ temperature probe. Have
> you used it? Were you happy with its performance? Have you used any
> others that you like?
> Thanks.
>
> see BBQ temperature probe at
> http://www.smarthome.com/3217.html

Jimbo

http://tvwbb.101inc.com/ultimatebb.c...c;f=1;t=000230

Go here and read about the ET-73 ....I love mine..

James Emanuel

"Saunka [BOA]" > wrote in message
> I can't comment on the one you posted, but I can tell you that I've had

the
> Redi-Chek ET-73 now for 6 months and it works great. I liked mine so

much,
> I bought one for my dad too.
>
> http://www.thegadgetsource.com/011502013733.html

I have had one (Redi-check) for about 7 months now. Only one issue.

The smoker temp reading does not agree at all with the dome thermometer on
my K #7. And the difference is not constant. I requested from mfr. and
received a replacement probe, same results with new probe. I don't think
that it is an issue of heat stratification in the K, because the Redi-check
at grill level sometimes reads higher than the dome, sometimes less during
the same cook, by as much as 20 F.

Anyone else have similar experiences?

James

Jimbo

Maybe your dome thermometer is sticky ???

Howard R. Bricker

"James Emanuel" > wrote in
link.net:

> "Saunka [BOA]" > wrote in message
>> I can't comment on the one you posted, but I can tell you that I've
>> had

> the
>> Redi-Chek ET-73 now for 6 months and it works great. I liked mine so

> much,
>> I bought one for my dad too.
>>
>> http://www.thegadgetsource.com/011502013733.html
>>

> I have had one (Redi-check) for about 7 months now. Only one issue.
>
> The smoker temp reading does not agree at all with the dome
> thermometer on my K #7. And the difference is not constant. I
> requested from mfr. and received a replacement probe, same results
> with new probe. I don't think that it is an issue of heat
> stratification in the K, because the Redi-check at grill level
> sometimes reads higher than the dome, sometimes less during the same
> cook, by as much as 20 F.
>
> Anyone else have similar experiences?
>
> James

If you're worrying about 20° you need to get a life. It might
matter if you're cooking quiche. Shoulders, birds and briskett
just don't give a S$%^. Just cook it until it's done.

Brick

Brick.
frohe

James Emanuel wrote:
> by as much as 20 F.

20°F ain't nuthin to worry about. Drink a few more beers and relax.
--
-frohe
Life is too short to be in a hurry

James Emanuel

"Howard R. Bricker" > wrote in message
2.203...

> If you're worrying about 20° you need to get a life. It might
> matter if you're cooking quiche. Shoulders, birds and briskett
> just don't give a S$%^. Just cook it until it's done.
>
> Brick
>
> Brick.

Brick:

I smoke a lot of fish. I consider a swing in temp of 40 F (20 plus to 20
minus) significant for smoked fish. I feel I get much different results
between smoking at 180 F vs. 220 F.

Not whining, worrying, or anything else, just asking if anyone else has
noticed the phenomenon with the Redi-check. You apparently haven't.

Thanks, I have a very nice life.

James

SCUBApix

"James Emanuel" > wrote in message
link.net...

> "Saunka [BOA]" > wrote in message
> > I can't comment on the one you posted, but I can tell you that I've had

> the
> > Redi-Chek ET-73 now for 6 months and it works great. I liked mine so

> much,
> > I bought one for my dad too.
> >
> > http://www.thegadgetsource.com/011502013733.html
> >

> I have had one (Redi-check) for about 7 months now. Only one issue.
>
> The smoker temp reading does not agree at all with the dome thermometer on
> my K #7. And the difference is not constant. I requested from mfr. and
> received a replacement probe, same results with new probe. I don't think
> that it is an issue of heat stratification in the K, because the

Redi-check
> at grill level sometimes reads higher than the dome, sometimes less during
> the same cook, by as much as 20 F.
>
> Anyone else have similar experiences?
>
> James

Yes but I have been able to reduce the variance by simply watching where I
put the grill level probe. Much of your problem, I suspect, is because of
the postition of the probe on the grill. Always put it the exact same place
and always make sure it is not at the outside. If you're using a heat
deflecter and the probe is on the outside, it will give a much hotter
reading than if it was over the heat deflecter.

The above should keep you on the cooler side. I have noticed that my grill
level temp is lower than the dome temp (I have a grill Dome) by 20-30
degrees at the start of a cook but that the difference decreases over time
as the ceramic heats up. It never gets to equality but is usually around
10ºF below dome temp, sometimes less. I would expect that magnitude of
difference just from the physics of the system.

James Emanuel

"SCUBApix" > wrote in message

> Yes but I have been able to reduce the variance by simply watching where I
> put the grill level probe. Much of your problem, I suspect, is because of
> the postition of the probe on the grill. Always put it the exact same

place
> and always make sure it is not at the outside. If you're using a heat
> deflecter and the probe is on the outside, it will give a much hotter
> reading than if it was over the heat deflecter.
>
> The above should keep you on the cooler side. I have noticed that my grill
> level temp is lower than the dome temp (I have a grill Dome) by 20-30
> degrees at the start of a cook but that the difference decreases over time
> as the ceramic heats up. It never gets to equality but is usually around
> 10ºF below dome temp, sometimes less. I would expect that magnitude of
> difference just from the physics of the system.

Scuba:

Good points. Thanks for your response.

James

Howard R. Bricker

"James Emanuel" > wrote in
hlink.net:

> "Howard R. Bricker" > wrote in message
> 2.203...
>
>> If you're worrying about 20° you need to get a life. It might
>> matter if you're cooking quiche. Shoulders, birds and briskett
>> just don't give a S$%^. Just cook it until it's done.
>>
>> Brick
>>
>> Brick.

> Brick:
>
> I smoke a lot of fish. I consider a swing in temp of 40 F (20 plus to 20
> minus) significant for smoked fish. I feel I get much different results
> between smoking at 180 F vs. 220 F.
>
> Not whining, worrying, or anything else, just asking if anyone else has
> noticed the phenomenon with the Redi-check. You apparently haven't.
>
> Thanks, I have a very nice life.
>
> James

I'm glad you have a nice life. I'm not going to go there. In your original
post you said 20° and then you came back with plus/minus 20. There's time
and there's temperature and then there's time/temperature. If you are
planning to cook with wood or lump and hope to hold temp closer then 20°
you're not going to have a nice life.

Brick (Even the pottery guys don't go there, although they achieve it from
time to time)