dvito

Default New to group

Hi I was looking for some injection tips for turkeys.
I'm smoking a 17.5 lb turkey that was cavity seasoned with a rosemary rub
and stuffed with fruit, onion and rosemary.

I want to inject it before I cook it. maybe about 6 hours befor smoking
time. I figure a 3-4 a.m. start should put this bird on the table around
4:30. I never smoked a bird this big before. I've done plenty of 10 - 12 #
birds but it's been since last Thanksgiving.

How long will a bird of this weight take at 225 - 250?

I made my own injection sauce from water, Fresh Rosemary, garlic, salt,
black pepper, celery seed and butter.

Am I missing anything important here?

Thank you in advance,

Dave

Edwin Pawlowski

"dvito" > wrote in message

> How long will a bird of this weight take at 225 - 250?

> Am I missing anything important here?

Hi Dave, and welcome.

The only important thing missing is the temperature. There is no good reason
to cook a turkey at such a low temp. Closer to 350 will give just as good
smoke flavor and will give a crisp skin.

Brisket and pork butts need tenderizing, poultry does not. Sleep in and
start it much later.
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

Duwop

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
> "dvito" > wrote in message

> The only important thing missing is the temperature. There is no good
> reason to cook a turkey at such a low temp. Closer to 350 will give
> just as good smoke flavor and will give a crisp skin.
>
> Brisket and pork butts need tenderizing, poultry does not. Sleep in
> and start it much later.
> Ed

Agreed, did my 1st Turkey yesterday, it was brined and cooked in a little
over 4 hours on the grill and another hour to rest, it was a 20lb.er too.
Very tasty.
Thanks guys.

Be careful of the radiant heat, my thermometer would show 380 when exposed
to the radiant heat, and 330 when masked from it. Even with the air temp a
fairly steady 330 or so for most of the cooking time, the radiant heat was
enough to speed the cooking time considerably.

dvito

thank you, so the same as roasting the, 15 min per lb., right?

dave
"Duwop" > wrote in message
> Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
> > "dvito" > wrote in message

> > The only important thing missing is the temperature. There is no good
> > reason to cook a turkey at such a low temp. Closer to 350 will give
> > just as good smoke flavor and will give a crisp skin.
> >
> > Brisket and pork butts need tenderizing, poultry does not. Sleep in
> > and start it much later.
> > Ed

> Agreed, did my 1st Turkey yesterday, it was brined and cooked in a little
> over 4 hours on the grill and another hour to rest, it was a 20lb.er too.
> Very tasty.
> Thanks guys.
>
> Be careful of the radiant heat, my thermometer would show 380 when exposed
> to the radiant heat, and 330 when masked from it. Even with the air temp a
> fairly steady 330 or so for most of the cooking time, the radiant heat was
> enough to speed the cooking time considerably.

Duwop

dvito wrote:
> thank you, so the same as roasting the, 15 min per lb., right?
>
> dave

exactly, it'a all on the temp.

Alt Group Intend to Take Over This Group Bakerman Baking 4 25-06-2008 03:50 AM
I Am New To This Group [email protected] General Cooking 35 02-12-2006 07:04 PM
TO THE GROUP......... Shiver General Cooking 4 23-09-2006 04:43 PM
New to the group Lew Bryson Beer 2 28-06-2005 06:55 PM
new to the group [email protected] Sourdough 0 21-06-2005 09:10 PM