Aria

Default Smokin'

We're smoking a turkey this year. Gravy is a must for us. Should I first
make my own chicken broth? There won't be any drippin's so not sure of the
most flavorful way to make it?? Any suggestions??

Aria

Steve Calvin

Aria wrote:

> We're smoking a turkey this year. Gravy is a must for us. Should I first
> make my own chicken broth? There won't be any drippin's so not sure of the
> most flavorful way to make it?? Any suggestions??
>
> Aria

Go out and buy some turkey wings and or legs and make broth from those
is what I'd do.

--
Steve

If you look like your passport picture, you probably need the trip.

Jack Schidt®

"Aria" > wrote in message
newsC6wb.8086$Bk1.1450@fed1read05...
> We're smoking a turkey this year. Gravy is a must for us. Should I first
> make my own chicken broth? There won't be any drippin's so not sure of the
> most flavorful way to make it?? Any suggestions??
>
> Aria

Turkey wings are pretty cheap and have enough fat on them for some
drippings. I like roasting them, keeping the drippings and then making a
stock with em. You could even do this with chicken wings, which are usually
very cheap.

Jack

Robert

Aria wrote:

> We're smoking a turkey this year. Gravy is a must for us. Should I first
> make my own chicken broth? There won't be any drippin's so not sure of the
> most flavorful way to make it?? Any suggestions??
>
> Aria

Cooks Illustrated Nov/Dec 2002 has a recipe for Giblet Pan Gravy that does not
rely on pan drippings. Perhaps your library has back issues (mine does).

Cooks Illustrated Nov/Dec 2003 has a recipe/technique for 'Gravy from almost
nothing', this issue is still on the newstands.

I've not personally tried either of these, although many things made from the
pages of this publication turn out very good. In particular, the pumpkin
cheesecake from Nov/Dec 2003 is to die for, and the mashed sweet potatoes from
Nov/Dec 2002 is also very good (IMO)

robert (a CI subscriber)

Brick

"Aria" > wrote in message
newsC6wb.8086$Bk1.1450@fed1read05...
> We're smoking a turkey this year. Gravy is a must for us. Should I

first
> make my own chicken broth? There won't be any drippin's so not sure

of the
> most flavorful way to make it?? Any suggestions??
>
> Aria

I get chickens butchered for me by my local mom and pop
grocery store. I usually get 3 at a time and have them wrap
the carcasses separately for me. I just boil them up with
some celery, carrot, onion, salt and pepper. Then I freeze
it in two cup plastic containers. If you can't do that, turkey
wings work fine, but they're too proud of them around here
for me to make stock out of them.

Brick (who's currently out of chicken stock)

Anonymous

"Jack Schidt®" > wrote in message
. com...

> "Aria" > wrote in message
> newsC6wb.8086$Bk1.1450@fed1read05...
> > We're smoking a turkey this year. Gravy is a must for us. Should I first
> > make my own chicken broth? There won't be any drippin's so not sure of

the
> > most flavorful way to make it?? Any suggestions??
> >
> > Aria
> >

> Turkey wings are pretty cheap and have enough fat on them for some
> drippings. I like roasting them, keeping the drippings and then making a
> stock with em. You could even do this with chicken wings, which are

usually
> very cheap.
>
> Jack

Ditto this. I use chicken wings because if the higher fat content.
Roast lbs. with pepper only in a dutch oven till well browned.
Then cover with water and bring to a boil, simmer till 1/3 reduced.
Remove the wings and strain stock. Spice the gravy, not the stock.
This usually makes about three cups of stock.
There are lots of things to do with the leftover meat. Freeze for later too.

Smokin' . . . [email protected][_2_] General Cooking 12 05-08-2015 08:55 PM
smokin a whole pig [email protected] Barbecue 4 10-08-2007 07:11 AM
Smokin' Al's [email protected] Barbecue 11 12-10-2005 04:34 PM
Smokin Tex Wayne Barbecue 7 08-04-2005 12:00 PM
Smokin Tex Wayne Barbecue 0 05-04-2005 10:18 PM