Default Nick's First Brisket

OK. I no longer remember how many pounds it was/is, but here's what I've
done so far:

Wet aged for 5 days in the 'frige, then dry aged for 10 more days. It's
darkened nicely, still very pliable and smells goooood!

I've just put it in a marinade of 1 cup Marsala wine, 1 cup lemon juice, 2
Tbs Kosher salt, 2 Tbs. garlic powder, 1 Tbs. paprika and 1 Tbs. ground
black pepper. I'll turn it before I go to bed and again early in the AM.

I'm planning to rub it with salt, pepper, garlic powder and garlic powder
before throwing it on the NB at 300 F., fat down, 'til it hits 180 or so.
Flames or caveats accepted prior thereto! Por lo mientras, I need a drink!

Whoops. Just thought o' this: should I swab it with anything while it's
cookin'?

S/f,

--
Nick, Retired in the San Fernando Valley www.boonchoo.com
"Giving violent criminals a government guarantee that their intended

On 23 Nov 2003 03:31:21 GMT, wrote:

>I'm planning to rub it with salt, pepper, garlic powder and garlic powder
>before throwing it on the NB at 300 F., fat down, 'til it hits 180 or so.
>Flames or caveats accepted prior thereto! Por lo mientras, I need a drink!

Perhaps double check the FAQ, or the "3 men with nothing better to do"
site (
www.3men.com). I've only done brisket once (my family's bigger
on pork and/or making do on a limited budget, whatever roasts are in
the freezer from the last cow get put in), but IIRC, the fat cap
should be on top during cooking. Renders through the meat, keeping it
moist for the long cooking time.

Like I said, I'm not the expert, but I remember that from someplace,
so it might be worth checking.

Enjoy!

Bob

On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 16:24:39 GMT, "Monroe, of course..."
> wrote:

>Nope-fat should be towards the fire. Rendered fat usually runs off the
>top and straight into the drip pan. As the late Hound sed-"moisture
>wicks away from heat".
>The fat cap should be used to shield the meat from the fire. No more
>jerky bottom brisket that way.
>
>monroe(fatside down convert)

That is indeed the joy of Q. It remains a true art. I did alright with
fat cap up...but it's hardly proof, since I've only done the one (so
could be beginners luck for all I know). Your rationale makes perfect
sense too.

Bob

(will try Fatside down next time)...

"The Fat Man®" > wrote:
> [ . . . ]
> Fat on top in an offset smoke-roaster.[]

Oh, well. Too late. For the first time in my life, it would appear that I
have screwed up, 'cause it's now fat down in an offset! If it comes out too
bad, the dawg will eat well . . . NOT! Pic & notes in a.b.f

--
Nick, Retired in the San Fernando Valley www.boonchoo.com
"Giving violent criminals a government guarantee that their intended
victims are defenseless is bad public policy."
- John Ross, "Unintended Consequences"

has anyone seen nick Storrmmee Diabetic 2 10-01-2011 04:00 PM
Brisket versus brisket Edwin Pawlowski Barbecue 6 06-08-2005 12:50 AM
need a nick Ol' Hippie Barbecue 37 22-10-2004 03:40 AM
Nick's First Brisket [email protected] Barbecue 24 26-11-2003 12:40 AM