Kent H.

Default Screw the brining - I'm injecting

To inject successfully you have to have:
1. Access to the primary vessel[S] that supply the muscle mass that you
are trying to cure with the brine.
Injecting the muscle doesn't work. It's too spotty.
2. Exactly the correct amount of salt in your brine, along with
nitrates, depending on what you are trying to accomplish.
3. With turkey it just doesn't work. With leg of pork, maybe.
Happy Holidaze

Steve Wertz wrote:

> Now I know y'all love to brine with a ton of spices and ingredients,
> but I just don't think it's worth using anything but salt, optional
> sugar, and water in a brine. I really don't get any worthwhile flavor
> penetration, IMO.
>
> So I'm gonna mainline the turkey(s) this year (for those not into
> slamming speedballs or strait heroin, I'm going to inject the
> turkeys).
>
> I plan on using what you'd usually use in a brine, plus butter. Some
> sort of cajun spice thang. I bought some Tony Cachere's Cajun Butter
> marinade so I could get the syringe that came with it (sheaper than
> buying the stringe alone), but don't plan on using it. Or should I?
> It really doesn't taste bad, but I need some *real* butter in the mix
> - not that artifical butter flavoring crap.
>
> So should I let the turkey sit overnight after injecting to get a
> brining effect from the salt mixture? And then inject again in the
> morning? Should I expect a lot of leakage from the turkey? And will
> this effect the stuffing? Should I drink bourbon or scotch?
>
> So how does brining compare to injecting, for those of you who have
> done both?
>
> -sw

Jim

"Kent H." top posted and said something like-
>Steve Wertz wrote:
>> So I'm gonna mainline the turkey(s) this year (for those not into
>> slamming speedballs or strait heroin, I'm going to inject the
>> turkeys).

Jim

Default Screw the brining - I'm injecting OOPS!

I accidently sent my reply before I had in fact, replied.

"Kent H." top posted and said something like-

>>Steve Wertz said
>>So I'm gonna mainline the turkey(s) this >>year (for those not into
>>slamming speedballs or strait heroin, >>I'm going to inject the
>>turkeys).

>> bought some Tony Cachere's Cajun >>Butter
>>marinade so I could get the syringe that >>came with it (sheaper than

..>buying the stringe alone),

I'm not familiar with that injector, but if it only has one orifice, it will
be difficult to get even distribution in the meat. There are syringes available
that come with a needle that have multiple holes along the shaft, which allows
for better distribution.
>> So should I let the turkey sit overnight after injecting to get a
>> brining effect from the salt mixture? And then inject again in the
>> morning?

I'd inject the night before, but I don't think a second injection would provide
much benefit.
>>Should I expect a lot of leakage from the turkey?

The times that I have tried injection, I experienced a fair amount of leakage.
You have poked the meat full of holes, after all.
>>Should I drink bourbon or scotch?

Follow your heart :-).

"Kent H." saw fit to reply with-

>To inject successfully you have to have:
>1. Access to the primary vessel[S] that >supply the muscle mass that you
>are trying to cure with the brine.
>Injecting the muscle doesn't work. It's too >spotty.

More whizdumb from Kent.
Kent, you've referred to the wisdom of Rytek Kutas in the past ; have you
bothered to read the book? If you had, you would know that arterial injection
is one method, (usually for the curing of a bone-in pork leg, as it prevents
bone sour) but not the only one. One can sucessfully inject muscle cuts with
the proper technique and tools.
We've been through this before, but you refuse to admit when you are wrong.
And you are wrong.

>2. Exactly the correct amount of salt in >your brine, along with
>nitrates, depending on what you are >trying to accomplish.

Dear God......
You are hopeless. And clueless.

Jim

Kent H.

Jim wrote:

> I accidently sent my reply before I had in fact, replied.
>
> "Kent H." top posted and said something like-
>
> >>Steve Wertz said
> >>So I'm gonna mainline the turkey(s) this >>year (for those not into
> >>slamming speedballs or strait heroin, >>I'm going to inject the
> >>turkeys).

> >> bought some Tony Cachere's Cajun >>Butter
> >>marinade so I could get the syringe that >>came with it (sheaper than

> .>buying the stringe alone),
>
> I'm not familiar with that injector, but if it only has one orifice, it will
> be difficult to get even distribution in the meat. There are syringes available
> that come with a needle that have multiple holes along the shaft, which allows
> for better distribution.
> >> So should I let the turkey sit overnight after injecting to get a
> >> brining effect from the salt mixture? And then inject again in the
> >> morning?

> I'd inject the night before, but I don't think a second injection would provide
> much benefit.
> >>Should I expect a lot of leakage from the turkey?

> The times that I have tried injection, I experienced a fair amount of leakage.
> You have poked the meat full of holes, after all.
> >>Should I drink bourbon or scotch?

> Follow your heart :-).
>
> "Kent H." saw fit to reply with-
>
> >To inject successfully you have to have:
> >1. Access to the primary vessel[S] that >supply the muscle mass that you
> >are trying to cure with the brine.
> >Injecting the muscle doesn't work. It's too >spotty.

> More whizdumb from Kent.
> Kent, you've referred to the wisdom of Rytek Kutas in the past ; have you
> bothered to read the book? If you had, you would know that arterial injection
> is one method, (usually for the curing of a bone-in pork leg, as it prevents
> bone sour) but not the only one. One can sucessfully inject muscle cuts with
> the proper technique and tools.

It's hard to get uniform curing effect, as I said.
> We've been through this before, but you refuse to admit when you are wrong.
> And you are wrong.
>
> >2. Exactly the correct amount of salt in >your brine, along with
> >nitrates, depending on what you are >trying to accomplish.

> Please God, what salt concentration do you use in your injection cure?
> Dear God......
> You are hopeless. And clueless.

> Jim

Stan (the Man)

Steve Wertz wrote:

<...>

> I'm gonna smoke one turkey, and stuff and bake the other one.

A caveat:

Stuffing a turkey is dangerous on a couple of levels:
1. WRT bacteria. You must be careful to get the temp up quickly, lest
dangerous little buggers have time to screw their icky little brains out
and multiply before you kill them, giving them the opportunity to kill you.
2. WRT your heart. Think about it. All those juices and fat that would
normally wind up in the bottom of the pan are absorbed by the bread,
then eaten by you. Tasty, yes. Safe, no. If you listen carefully, you'll
hear your arteries snapping shut. Really. I swear. Listen.

Do yourself and your family a favor and cook your stuffing separately.

Send me $5 for the terrific advice.

--
Stan
<http://www.tocquevillian.com>

Jack Schidt®

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> Now I know y'all love to brine with a ton of spices and ingredients,
> but I just don't think it's worth using anything but salt, optional
> sugar, and water in a brine. I really don't get any worthwhile flavor
> penetration, IMO.
>
> So I'm gonna mainline the turkey(s) this year (for those not into
> slamming speedballs or strait heroin, I'm going to inject the
> turkeys).
>
> I plan on using what you'd usually use in a brine, plus butter. Some
> sort of cajun spice thang. I bought some Tony Cachere's Cajun Butter
> marinade so I could get the syringe that came with it (sheaper than
> buying the stringe alone), but don't plan on using it. Or should I?
> It really doesn't taste bad, but I need some *real* butter in the mix
> - not that artifical butter flavoring crap.
>
> So should I let the turkey sit overnight after injecting to get a
> brining effect from the salt mixture? And then inject again in the
> morning? Should I expect a lot of leakage from the turkey? And will
> this effect the stuffing? Should I drink bourbon or scotch?
>
> So how does brining compare to injecting, for those of you who have
> done both?
>
> -sw

I've found that you get a more potent flavor 'hit' from injecting v. brining
only. I also found that it's better for presentation purposes to inject in
a line parallel with your slicing so as to avoid the 'mark of the asp'
injection marks (not the holes, but slight discoloration from the injected
solution). I'd guess that butter, white sugar, salt and water wouldn't pose
that problem.

Yes, inject the night before and then again in the morning (it worked for
me). Leakage? I dunno, I never watched that closely while the meat cooked.
Depending on the needle diameter, dontcha think those piercings would
cauterize? I just don't picture this 'fire hose' effect happening.

Jack

PS Bourbon, it IS Thanksgiving. Oh, I know you didn't ask, but go with the
boxers.

Kent H.

Jack, what is the formula for your injected brine?
Thanks
Kent

"Jack Schidt®" wrote:

> "Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> > Now I know y'all love to brine with a ton of spices and ingredients,
> > but I just don't think it's worth using anything but salt, optional
> > sugar, and water in a brine. I really don't get any worthwhile flavor
> > penetration, IMO.
> >
> > So I'm gonna mainline the turkey(s) this year (for those not into
> > slamming speedballs or strait heroin, I'm going to inject the
> > turkeys).
> >
> > I plan on using what you'd usually use in a brine, plus butter. Some
> > sort of cajun spice thang. I bought some Tony Cachere's Cajun Butter
> > marinade so I could get the syringe that came with it (sheaper than
> > buying the stringe alone), but don't plan on using it. Or should I?
> > It really doesn't taste bad, but I need some *real* butter in the mix
> > - not that artifical butter flavoring crap.
> >
> > So should I let the turkey sit overnight after injecting to get a
> > brining effect from the salt mixture? And then inject again in the
> > morning? Should I expect a lot of leakage from the turkey? And will
> > this effect the stuffing? Should I drink bourbon or scotch?
> >
> > So how does brining compare to injecting, for those of you who have
> > done both?
> >
> > -sw

> I've found that you get a more potent flavor 'hit' from injecting v. brining
> only. I also found that it's better for presentation purposes to inject in
> a line parallel with your slicing so as to avoid the 'mark of the asp'
> injection marks (not the holes, but slight discoloration from the injected
> solution). I'd guess that butter, white sugar, salt and water wouldn't pose
> that problem.
>
> Yes, inject the night before and then again in the morning (it worked for
> me). Leakage? I dunno, I never watched that closely while the meat cooked.
> Depending on the needle diameter, dontcha think those piercings would
> cauterize? I just don't picture this 'fire hose' effect happening.
>
> Jack
>
> PS Bourbon, it IS Thanksgiving. Oh, I know you didn't ask, but go with the
> boxers.

Jack Sloan

Default Screw the brining and injecting , I'm gonna cook it in..

> > "Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> > > Now I know y'all love to brine with a ton of spices and ingredients,
> > > but I just don't think it's worth using anything but salt, optional
> > > sugar, and water in a brine. I really don't get any worthwhile flavor

I'm gonna cook it in a ... gasp...plastic bag ...in the ....gasp....oven. I
s'pose it's ok 'cause I've already smoked a wild hog ham and a boston butt
in Posco the GD. Pulled the butt and gonna slice the ham. they're in the
freezer in vacc'd bags just waiting to go into boilin' water. QUESTION...do
you defrost the meat before waming it , or just toss it in from the freezer?
Haven't had the foodsaver long enough to know that one yet. BTW the turk
will get lovingly rubbed in herbs and butter, filled with apples ,oranges,
onions and carrots before going in the steambath. (Wife doesn't like the
taste of smoked turk.) She's never complained about any of many turks in a
bag though. Gonna have all the kids and grandkids ,cousins and inlaws as
well as a bunch of neighbors...they all better bring something good to
eat.I've got a case of Yellowtail Shiraz cab..which ain't too bad for a
cheap wine, and a coupla cases of beer.
Doing the smokin' beforehand leaves me more concentrated beer drinkin' time
with less stress.( More time to swing the grandkids around in a circle 'til
they throw up too. Don't know why but some of 'em seem to like that.
Hooray for Turkey Day.
Jack

Jim

> "Kent H." once again favored us with his wisdom and said:

>Jim wrote:

<snip>
>One can sucessfully inject muscle cuts with
>> the proper technique and tools.

>It's hard to get uniform curing effect, as I said.

Read carefully, Kent. This particular thread is about injecting for flavor, not
for curing.
We're not talking about cold smoking.

>> We've been through this before, but you refuse to admit when you are

>wrong.
>> And you are wrong.

Again.
Regarding curing; one can achieve a good cure by injection w/o going the
arterial route.
Go and read Kutas' book, don't just look at the pictures this time.
Just because *you* haven't been able to achieve desired results, doesn't mean
that someone with a modicum of intelligence and skill will have the same
problem.
Back to the bozo bin you go.
Jim

Kaa's Law: In any sufficiently large group of people, most are idiots.

Kent H.

I own and read Kutas book. It doesn't have any pictures.
When you inject, you get a lot of salt in one place and none in another
place. For most home users, vat curing is far easier and more effective,
especially for fowl, which is almost impossible to inject uniformly.
When you smoke, the smoking temp. is invariable warmer than the raw
brined meat that goes into the smokehouse. During that time it warms up
slightly, but especially with turkey, it is not cooked. One must cook it
following smoking.

Jim wrote:

> > "Kent H." once again favored us with his wisdom and said:

> >Jim wrote:

> <snip>
> >One can sucessfully inject muscle cuts with
> >> the proper technique and tools.

> >It's hard to get uniform curing effect, as I said.

> Read carefully, Kent. This particular thread is about injecting for flavor, not
> for curing.
> We're not talking about cold smoking.
>
> >> We've been through this before, but you refuse to admit when you are

> >wrong.
> >> And you are wrong.

> Again.
> Regarding curing; one can achieve a good cure by injection w/o going the
> arterial route.
> Go and read Kutas' book, don't just look at the pictures this time.
> Just because *you* haven't been able to achieve desired results, doesn't mean
> that someone with a modicum of intelligence and skill will have the same
> problem.
> Back to the bozo bin you go.
> Jim
>
> Kaa's Law: In any sufficiently large group of people, most are idiots.

Kent H.

Jimmy Boy, when you brine, or marinade, you are altering the salt
concentration of what you end up with. Tony Chachere's products,
including his so called injectable marinades all contain a certain
amount of salt, which adds to what you ultimately taste.

Jim wrote:

> > "Kent H." once again favored us with his wisdom and said:

> >Jim wrote:

> <snip>
> >One can sucessfully inject muscle cuts with
> >> the proper technique and tools.

> >It's hard to get uniform curing effect, as I said.

> Read carefully, Kent. This particular thread is about injecting for flavor, not
> for curing.
> We're not talking about cold smoking.
>
> >> We've been through this before, but you refuse to admit when you are

> >wrong.
> >> And you are wrong.

> Again.
> Regarding curing; one can achieve a good cure by injection w/o going the
> arterial route.
> Go and read Kutas' book, don't just look at the pictures this time.
> Just because *you* haven't been able to achieve desired results, doesn't mean
> that someone with a modicum of intelligence and skill will have the same
> problem.
> Back to the bozo bin you go.
> Jim
>
> Kaa's Law: In any sufficiently large group of people, most are idiots.

Brick

"Jack Sloan" wrote

<snip everything but the question>

>QUESTION...do
> you defrost the meat before waming it , or just toss it in from the

freezer?
> Haven't had the foodsaver long enough to know that one yet.

<snip some more>

I take them straight from the freezer to the pot of water Jack. Works
perfectly for me.

Brick (who buys 400 vac bags at a time, but not Foodsaver)

Monroe, of course...

In article >, Steve Wertz
> wrote:

> On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 17:51:03 GMT, "Kent H." >
> wrote:
>
> >Swertz it would nice and courteous if you at least spelled Tony
> >Chachere's name correctly.

> Hey Kent! Blow me.

Hey KuntH - blow him again after that!

monroe(then blow it outcher @$$)
Reg

Kent H. wrote:

> When you inject, you get a lot of salt in one place and none in another
> place.

Not if you use proper technique. You need to avoid creating pockets by
drawing the needle out as you inject. You want to create well
distributed, uniform "veins" of injection as opposed to big pockets.
Improperly injecting can be worse than not injecting at all.

I like to inject to speed up the curing/brining process, especially
on larger cuts where I'm short on time.

Jack Sloan

"Brick" > wrote in message

> "Jack Sloan" wrote
>
> <snip everything but the question>
>
> >QUESTION...do
> > you defrost the meat before waming it , or just toss it in from the

> freezer?
> > Haven't had the foodsaver long enough to know that one yet.

> <snip some more>
>
> I take them straight from the freezer to the pot of water Jack. Works
> perfectly for me.
>
> Brick (who buys 400 vac bags at a time, but not Foodsaver)

Thanks fer the response...I was beginning to think I was invisible.
Jack

The Fat Man®

Steve Wertz wrote:

> So how does brining compare to injecting, for those of you who have
> done both?

Injection is nice, but I'd rather be blown. (sorry, 70's flashback)

Injection will get you where you want to be without all the fuss and muss of
brining. Garlic, honey, butter is my favorite, but only cause that's what I
tried first and ain't tried anything else.

You *gotta* have the honey in a turkey injection though. Even if you do a
shitty injecting job like I did on my first one, the intense flavor in the
injected pockets will knock you outta yer chair......it's really that good.

Seems everything comes from the market pre-brined these days. Back in the
day, brining was for the sole purpose of *not* having dry-ass, cardboard
flavored breast meat. **** it, inject.

TFM®

bbq

The Fat Man® wrote:

> Injection is nice, but I'd rather be blown. (sorry, 70's flashback)

Injecting is kinda nice to don't you think TFM :-)

Happy Injecting,

BBQ

Duwop

The Fat Man® wrote:
> Steve Wertz wrote:
>
>> So how does brining compare to injecting, for those of you who have
>> done both?

> Injection is nice, but I'd rather be blown. (sorry, 70's flashback)
>
> Injection will get you where you want to be without all the fuss and
> muss of brining. Garlic, honey, butter is my favorite, but only
> cause that's what I tried first and ain't tried anything else.
>
> You *gotta* have the honey in a turkey injection though. Even if you
> do a shitty injecting job like I did on my first one, the intense
> flavor in the injected pockets will knock you outta yer
> chair......it's really that good.

OK, I'm thinking of wearing suspenders with my belt and brine AND inject,
I'm pretty sure I can make up some sort of honey/butter/garlic thing for
injecting, but I've never injected before, any tips on the mix, and where's?
I've read to move the injector to keep from makin pockets, and to give the
injections some time to spread out.

Thanks all. My wife likes turkey (and my bbq) so damn much, even though
we're going to my folks place she has me doing a turkey so we can have
leftovers(!). Damn, well, she puts up with my shit...........

Kent H.

You're trolling. Having said that, the closet fag emerges. Good for you.
Congratulations.

Steve Wertz wrote:

> On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 17:51:03 GMT, "Kent H." >
> wrote:
>
> >Swertz it would nice and courteous if you at least spelled Tony
> >Chachere's name correctly.

> Hey Kent! Blow me.
>
> -sw

On the injecting pork experiment... 43fan[_2_] Barbecue 11 27-05-2008 10:20 PM
Injecting pork? 43fan[_2_] Barbecue 15 10-05-2008 02:02 AM
Injecting vs brining Stan (the Man) Barbecue 1 23-11-2006 01:14 PM
Butts - Who's Injecting? JW Barbecue 1 09-10-2006 03:58 AM