FoodBanter.com

-   -   Brining question (https://www.foodbanter.com/barbecue/19351-brining-question.html)

Barry 21-11-2003 09:32 PM

Brining question

I notice that most brines call to be heated to boil then to simmer.
Is this required for all Brines?
My instructions for Hound's Citrus Brine does not include boiling. Should
it?.
I used a variation of his brine for boneless chicken breast and my
family agreed that it was great.

Reg 21-11-2003 09:48 PM

Brining question

Barry wrote:

> I notice that most brines call to be heated to boil then to simmer.
> Is this required for all Brines?

I don't normally boil or even heat a brine that I'm mixing.
The only purpose for heating would be to facilitate dissolving
the salt and/or sugar, which is only an issue when making a saturated
solution.

Jack Curry 21-11-2003 10:44 PM

Brining question

Barry wrote:
> I notice that most brines call to be heated to boil then to simmer.
> Is this required for all Brines?
> My instructions for Hound's Citrus Brine does not include boiling.
> Should it?.
> I used a variation of his brine for boneless chicken breast and my
> family agreed that it was great.

No need to boil, just heat to dissolve the salt, sugar and get the spices to
infuse.
Jack Curry

The Fat Man® 22-11-2003 01:52 AM

Brining question

Barry wrote:
> I notice that most brines call to be heated to boil then to simmer.
> Is this required for all Brines?
> My instructions for Hound's Citrus Brine does not include boiling.
> Should it?.
> I used a variation of his brine for boneless chicken breast and my
> family agreed that it was great.

Getting solids (i.e. salt) into solution requires heat or vigorous stirring.
The latter being best achieved with the "boat motor" hand mixers.

I prefer the latter as no cooling time is required before immersion.

TFM®

Harry Demidavicius 23-11-2003 12:58 AM

Brining question

On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 01:52:58 GMT, "The Fat Man®"
> wrote:

>Barry wrote:
>> I notice that most brines call to be heated to boil then to simmer.
>> Is this required for all Brines?
>> My instructions for Hound's Citrus Brine does not include boiling.
>> Should it?.
>> I used a variation of his brine for boneless chicken breast and my
>> family agreed that it was great.

>Getting solids (i.e. salt) into solution requires heat or vigorous stirring.
>The latter being best achieved with the "boat motor" hand mixers.
>
>I prefer the latter as no cooling time is required before immersion.
>
>TFM®

Boat motoring never occurred to me before. Thanks for the tip, TFM.

Harry