Barry

Default Turkey - Amount per person?

I've seen suggestions ranging from 1/2 to 3/4# per person.
Wife who over does everything food related says no way. She insists
that turkey's have too much waste for that calculation. She suggest
(insists)
that our 11 person gathering will require an 18# bird.
Don't know how she does the math, but that's her majic number.
Been married long enough to know that one must pick their battles.

Larry Noah

In article k.net>, "Barry"
> writes:

>I've seen suggestions ranging from 1/2 to 3/4# per person.
>Wife who over does everything food related says no way. She insists
>that turkey's have too much waste for that calculation. She suggest
>(insists)
>that our 11 person gathering will require an 18# bird.
>Don't know how she does the math, but that's her majic number.
>Been married long enough to know that one must pick their battles.

My wife calculates like your does. But, she insists on sending some home with
everyone. If none were to be wasted I would just let her do the math her way.

Larry Noah

BOB

"Barry" wrote...
> I've seen suggestions ranging from 1/2 to 3/4# per person.
> Wife who over does everything food related says no way. She insists
> that turkey's have too much waste for that calculation. She suggest
> (insists)
> that our 11 person gathering will require an 18# bird.
> Don't know how she does the math, but that's her majic number.
> Been married long enough to know that one must pick their battles.

Your way works for the meat, not including the bones.
I've heard from 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 pounds per person for turkey.

BOB

Jack Schidt®

"Barry" > wrote in message
hlink.net...
> I've seen suggestions ranging from 1/2 to 3/4# per person.
> Wife who over does everything food related says no way. She insists
> that turkey's have too much waste for that calculation. She suggest
> (insists)
> that our 11 person gathering will require an 18# bird.
> Don't know how she does the math, but that's her majic number.
> Been married long enough to know that one must pick their battles.

Your wife is correct. Now shaddup and go buy the big bird.

Jack

bbq

Barry wrote:

> I've seen suggestions ranging from 1/2 to 3/4# per person.
> Wife who over does everything food related says no way. She insists
> that turkey's have too much waste for that calculation. She suggest
> (insists)
> that our 11 person gathering will require an 18# bird.
> Don't know how she does the math, but that's her majic number.
> Been married long enough to know that one must pick their battles.

Suggestions I have seen for turkey are 1# or more per person. Turkey
dinner is one of those meals where people cook anticipating left overs.
With 11 people and an 18# bird, your sure to have leftovers.

Never been married, but do agree that one must pick their battles. It
sounds as though you are going to let your wife decide what size bird to
have. Since it is plenty, it is not worth an argument IMO. The positive
side of this is the 18# will hold more stuffing. Stuffing cooked in the
bird is better than stuffing cooked in the oven.

Enjoy the leftovers!!!!!!

BBQ

Barry

"bbq" > wrote in message

> Barry wrote:
>
> > I've seen suggestions ranging from 1/2 to 3/4# per person.
> > Wife who over does everything food related says no way. She insists
> > that turkey's have too much waste for that calculation. She suggest
> > (insists)
> > that our 11 person gathering will require an 18# bird.
> > Don't know how she does the math, but that's her majic number.
> > Been married long enough to know that one must pick their battles.
> >

> Suggestions I have seen for turkey are 1# or more per person. Turkey
> dinner is one of those meals where people cook anticipating left overs.
> With 11 people and an 18# bird, your sure to have leftovers.
>
> Never been married, but do agree that one must pick their battles. It
> sounds as though you are going to let your wife decide what size bird to
> have. Since it is plenty, it is not worth an argument IMO. The positive
> side of this is the 18# will hold more stuffing. Stuffing cooked in the
> bird is better than stuffing cooked in the oven.
>
> Enjoy the leftovers!!!!!!
>
> BBQ

Well you're correct in thinking that I'm going with the flow on this.
My concern is about how large of a bird will fit in the large BGE?
We never stuff a smoked bird. I've believed all the advise opposing it.

bbq

Barry wrote:

> Well you're correct in thinking that I'm going with the flow on this.
> My concern is about how large of a bird will fit in the large BGE?
> We never stuff a smoked bird. I've believed all the advise opposing it.

I have heard the same. You don't stuff turkey that is going to be
smoked. Potential of salmonella poisoning I think.

The BGE site says the large BGE will hold a 15# plus size turkey. So an
18# probably will fit, but it will be close is my guess. An 18# turkey
is on the smaller end of a large turkey. It's when you get to 20-22#,
that large is large.

Get the bird and put it in the BGE, still wrapped and see how it fits.
If it's too large, think of other alternatives. Spatchcocking works well
for turkeys from what others around here say.

Enjoy!!!!! And post pics too.

Happy Q'en,
BBQ

Dimitri

"Barry" > wrote in message
hlink.net...
> I've seen suggestions ranging from 1/2 to 3/4# per person.
> Wife who over does everything food related says no way. She insists
> that turkey's have too much waste for that calculation. She suggest
> (insists)
> that our 11 person gathering will require an 18# bird.
> Don't know how she does the math, but that's her majic number.
> Been married long enough to know that one must pick their battles.

Click here for the Butterball Turkey and stuffing calculator.

Dimitri

http://www.butterball.com/en/main_ca...n_prep&s1=plan

Steve

"Jack Schidt®" > wrote in message .com>...
> "Barry" > wrote in message
> hlink.net...
> > I've seen suggestions ranging from 1/2 to 3/4# per person.
> > Wife who over does everything food related says no way. She insists
> > that turkey's have too much waste for that calculation. She suggest
> > (insists)
> > that our 11 person gathering will require an 18# bird.
> > Don't know how she does the math, but that's her majic number.
> > Been married long enough to know that one must pick their battles.

Whole turkeys should yeild approximately 40% edible meat, I would get
a 2nd smaller bird that can be carved for left-overs.

Steve
Barry

Thanks all.
I've given in to the wife as I always do.
Instead of the 14-15 pounder I had planed on, we
will get a 16-18# bird for the egg. Plus she will do an
extra breast in the oven.
Now we'll see which one is more sucessful. I'm betting on the Egg.
"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 13:42:16 GMT, "Barry" >
> wrote:
>
> >I've seen suggestions ranging from 1/2 to 3/4# per person.
> >Wife who over does everything food related says no way. She insists
> >that turkey's have too much waste for that calculation. She suggest
> >(insists)
> >that our 11 person gathering will require an 18# bird.
> >Don't know how she does the math, but that's her majic number.
> >Been married long enough to know that one must pick their battles.

> A 6-8lb turkey isn't very festive.
>
> -sw

Harry Demidavicius

On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 14:49:57 GMT, "Jack Schidt®"
> wrote:

>"Barry" > wrote in message
thlink.net...
>> I've seen suggestions ranging from 1/2 to 3/4# per person.
>> Wife who over does everything food related says no way. She insists
>> that turkey's have too much waste for that calculation. She suggest
>> (insists)
>> that our 11 person gathering will require an 18# bird.
>> Don't know how she does the math, but that's her majic number.
>> Been married long enough to know that one must pick their battles.
>>

>Your wife is correct. Now shaddup and go buy the big bird.
>
>Jack

I agree with Jack "shaddup and go buy the big bird."

Harry
BOB

Barry typed:

> Well you're correct in thinking that I'm going with the flow on this.
> My concern is about how large of a bird will fit in the large BGE?
> We never stuff a smoked bird. I've believed all the advise opposing it.

Barry,

Follow this link and ask there. Not trying to brush you off, but these guys and
gals are the "eggsperts" when it comes to Green Egg specific questions. They are
(mostly) a great bunch of people, too. I've met a lot of them in the real world,
and while I can't agree on their choice of color (yours either <vbg>) they know
their cookers. You won't get shot if you tell 'em that I sent you over. (over
there, I'm BobinFla)

http://www.biggreenegg.com/wwwboard/wwwboard.shtml

BOB

Barry

Well Bob, I posted the question for max size of turkey to fit in a BGE. I
received no responses. Not even a heckle.
" BOB" > wrote in message
> Barry typed:
> >
> > Well you're correct in thinking that I'm going with the flow on this.
> > My concern is about how large of a bird will fit in the large BGE?
> > We never stuff a smoked bird. I've believed all the advise opposing it.

> Barry,
>
> Follow this link and ask there. Not trying to brush you off, but these

guys and
> gals are the "eggsperts" when it comes to Green Egg specific questions.

They are
> (mostly) a great bunch of people, too. I've met a lot of them in the real

world,
> and while I can't agree on their choice of color (yours either <vbg>) they

know
> their cookers. You won't get shot if you tell 'em that I sent you over.

(over
> there, I'm BobinFla)
>
> http://www.biggreenegg.com/wwwboard/wwwboard.shtml
>
> BOB

BOB

"Barry" > wrote in message
link.net...
> Well Bob, I posted the question for max size of turkey to fit in a BGE. I
> received no responses. Not even a heckle.

I can't find your post (yet, I'm still looking).
When did you post it , time too as close as you can. And the name you used on that
forum.
When I find it, I'll get 'em started, as nicely as I can.

They are really great people. I just think it was lost in the shuffle with
regulars returning from competitions, etc.

BOB

BOB

Barry typed:
> Well Bob, I posted the question for max size of turkey to fit in a BGE. I
> received no responses. Not even a heckle.

Barry,

I found your post. I still think it was lost in their shuffle.

I started another thread "Help a fellow Egger Before he gets bad advise from
PWNUABGE"

Go back, click on the "Last 25 posts" and you'll probably find the thread.
Introduce yourself, tell 'em how you don't get a lot of specific help anyplace
else.

Also, read through the other posts that talk about Thanksgiving and or turkeys.
Your answer might already be out there. I'm betting that a 16 pounder will fit.

Good luck!

BOB
getting ready to go find my turkey that will be brined in Mojo Crillo plus more
salt and OJ plus garlic, onyuns and etc. (I haven't decided yet)

BOB

In link.net,
Barry > typed:
> Well Bob, I posted the question for max size of turkey to fit in a BGE. I
> received no responses. Not even a heckle.

There's 2 replys so far. Here's a link or 2:

http://biggreenegg.com/wwwboard/messages/104032.shtml
http://biggreenegg.com/photo4.htm
http://www.mindspring.com/~mpujda/pdkbird.htm

BOB
bettin there will be more this evening.

Kevin S. Wilson

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 15:04:37 -0500, " BOB" > wrote:

>Barry typed:
>> Well Bob, I posted the question for max size of turkey to fit in a BGE. I
>> received no responses. Not even a heckle.

<snip>

>Also, read through the other posts that talk about Thanksgiving and or turkeys.
>Your answer might already be out there. I'm betting that a 16 pounder will fit.

I'm not sure I would trust someone's assurance that a 16-pounder will
fit. It's not as if the weight of the bird is any precise indicator of
its dimensions. I would measure the grill area of the BGE and measure
the dome height in the middle of the grill and toward the edge, then
take a tape measure to the grocery store.

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a University Somewhere in Idaho
Reg

Kevin S. Wilson wrote:

> I'm not sure I would trust someone's assurance that a 16-pounder will
> fit. It's not as if the weight of the bird is any precise indicator of
> its dimensions.

For comparison, I just did 21.5 lb bird that measured 13.5 inches
by 11.5 inches (at it's widest point). Hope that helps.

Jack Sloan

> I'm not sure I would trust someone's assurance that a 16-pounder will
> fit. It's not as if the weight of the bird is any precise indicator of
> its dimensions. I would measure the grill area of the BGE and measure
> the dome height in the middle of the grill and toward the edge, then
> take a tape measure to the grocery store.

Don't know about BGE, but I've got a 16 pounder sitting on the counter now
that's 11wX14LX*H. It'll fit in a GrillDome easy(18")
Jack

BOB

In ,
Jack Sloan > typed:
>> I'm not sure I would trust someone's assurance that a 16-pounder will
>> fit. It's not as if the weight of the bird is any precise indicator of
>> its dimensions. I would measure the grill area of the BGE and measure
>> the dome height in the middle of the grill and toward the edge, then
>> take a tape measure to the grocery store.
>>

> Don't know about BGE, but I've got a 16 pounder sitting on the counter now
> that's 11wX14LX*H. It'll fit in a GrillDome easy(18")
> Jack

One of the links I posted somewhere in this thread has a 22 pounder in a BGE. I'm
betting that almost any 16 pounder will fit in the BGE. I've got a 15 pounder
waiting to go in my K5 (very close to an BGE in size) that will really fit in my
K3 if I really try (medium Egg size)

BOB
(note to Barry, check out BGE again. More responses coming in tonight)

Jack Schidt®

" BOB" > wrote in message
news
> In ,
> Jack Sloan > typed:
> >> I'm not sure I would trust someone's assurance that a 16-pounder will
> >> fit. It's not as if the weight of the bird is any precise indicator of
> >> its dimensions. I would measure the grill area of the BGE and measure
> >> the dome height in the middle of the grill and toward the edge, then
> >> take a tape measure to the grocery store.
> >>

> > Don't know about BGE, but I've got a 16 pounder sitting on the counter

now
> > that's 11wX14LX*H. It'll fit in a GrillDome easy(18")
> > Jack

> One of the links I posted somewhere in this thread has a 22 pounder in a

BGE. I'm
> betting that almost any 16 pounder will fit in the BGE. I've got a 15

pounder
> waiting to go in my K5 (very close to an BGE in size) that will really fit

in my
> K3 if I really try (medium Egg size)
>
> BOB
> (note to Barry, check out BGE again. More responses coming in tonight)

don't forget you can stand up a turkey vertically if you need the room. I
kinda know how these dome tops work

Jack