FoodBanter.com

-   -   Basting with bacon (https://www.foodbanter.com/barbecue/19335-re-basting-bacon.html)

Jack Curry 19-11-2003 06:41 PM

Basting with bacon

"Faye Kinnitt" > wrote in message
> I did a 6 lb. Boston Butt yesterday in my electric
> Brinkmann and covered the top and sides with
> Bacon strips. The butt was rubbed previously with
> one of the rubs from the BBQ faq. I put the fat side
> down to keep it from getting overly done.
>
> I had reference to using bacon on turkey breasts
> somewhere and decided to give it a try.
>
> After 4 hours at approximately 300 degrees, I removed
> the bacon and gave the butt 2 more hours till the internal
> temp reached 180 degrees. The bacon had kept the top
> and side surfaces of the Butt from drying out for the period
> it was on there and the additional 2 hours exposed was
> enough to crisp up the surfaces without it being overly done.
>
> The bacon was still a bit rubbery on ends which were
> overlapped but a few seconds in the microwave crisped
> them up nicely. The hickory smoked bacon is a bonus and
> seemed to work nicely in lieu of basting to keep the top from
> getting too crisp.
>
> I'm sure I haven't invented anything new, however thought
> I'd mention it. I'm surely going to do the same thing to my
> turkey breast for Thanksgiving.
>
> Bob

I think most of us really like that "crisp" stuff, called bark. It's what
really flavors the pulled pork when mixed in, but if you took yours off at
190°, I doubt it pulled.
Jack Curry

Jack Schidt® 19-11-2003 10:15 PM

Basting with bacon

"Barry" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> > Isn't 300 degrees a bit hgh for smoking a but? I keep it lower to avoid

> any drying out.
> 300 seems like it saves time though.

Not at all. Pork butt is very forgiving due to its fat content.

Jack

Harry in Iowa 19-11-2003 10:18 PM

Basting with bacon

Faye Kinnitt > held forth in
:

> I did a 6 lb. Boston Butt yesterday in my electric
> Brinkmann and covered the top and sides with
> Bacon strips. The butt was rubbed previously with
> one of the rubs from the BBQ faq. I put the fat side
> down to keep it from getting overly done.
>
> I had reference to using bacon on turkey breasts
> somewhere and decided to give it a try.
>
> After 4 hours at approximately 300 degrees, I removed
> the bacon and gave the butt 2 more hours till the internal
> temp reached 180 degrees. The bacon had kept the top
> and side surfaces of the Butt from drying out for the period
> it was on there and the additional 2 hours exposed was
> enough to crisp up the surfaces without it being overly done.
>
> The bacon was still a bit rubbery on ends which were
> overlapped but a few seconds in the microwave crisped
> them up nicely. The hickory smoked bacon is a bonus and
> seemed to work nicely in lieu of basting to keep the top from
> getting too crisp.
>
> I'm sure I haven't invented anything new, however thought
> I'd mention it. I'm surely going to do the same thing to my
> turkey breast for Thanksgiving.
>
> Bob

My electric brinkman usually runs between 230 and 250. How is it you are
getting 300?

Harry in Iowa

--
'Its just NOTSO if you feel the need to contact me'

BOB 19-11-2003 10:18 PM

Low vs not-so-low/was: Basting with bacon

Barry typed:
> Isn't 300 degrees a bit hgh for smoking a but? I keep it lower to avoid
> any drying out.
> 300 seems like it saves time though.

Not really. I usually cook at 250 to 275, so 300 isn't really all that much
higher.
Recently, I did an experiment, cooked 2 butts, one right after the other.
First was cooked at about 350, the other cooked about 250. Both rubbed with
exactly the same rub. Both cooked to about 198 internal. Of course the 350 butt
took less time.
Side-by-side, you could tell a slight difference. Not really sure what the
difference was, texture or less fat maybe, but the 250 butt was better, in the
minds of the testers. Most of the tests were "blind".

I'm also guessing that without the side-by-side tests, especially if they had been
refrigerated and re-heated, most people couldn't tell the difference.

My conclusion? I'll keep on cooking at about 225 to 250 unless time is a
controlling factor, since with my brand of cooker (without any extra voo-doo type
equipment), I can get the temperature stabilized and then go on with other things
like sleeping or shopping if I keep the target time in mind.

BOB

BOB 19-11-2003 11:07 PM

Low vs not-so-low/was: Basting with bacon

Jack Schidt® typed:
> " BOB" wrote...
>> Barry typed:
>>> Isn't 300 degrees a bit hgh for smoking a but? I keep it lower to avoid
>>> any drying out.
>>> 300 seems like it saves time though.

>> Not really. I usually cook at 250 to 275, so 300 isn't really all that

> much
>> higher.
>> Recently, I did an experiment, cooked 2 butts, one right after the other.
>> First was cooked at about 350, the other cooked about 250. Both rubbed

> with
>> exactly the same rub. Both cooked to about 198 internal. Of course the

> 350 butt
>> took less time.
>> Side-by-side, you could tell a slight difference. Not really sure what

> the
>> difference was, texture or less fat maybe, but the 250 butt was better, in

> the
>> minds of the testers. Most of the tests were "blind".

> Or maybe the testers were blind. Buncha drunks.

HMMmmm? Never thought of that.
BUT one of the females doesn't drink alcohol (wimp!) and she consistantly went for
the low-and-slow, even when we switched the plates.

frohe 20-11-2003 11:05 AM

Basting with bacon

BOB wrote:
> IMO, you have to be either a Texan or weird to like mesquite. Or
> both.

Howdy from one weird Texican. <g>
--
-frohe
Life is too short to be in a hurry

Harry in Iowa 20-11-2003 02:10 PM

Basting with bacon

Reg > held forth in
. com:

> Harry in Iowa wrote:
>
>> My electric brinkman usually runs between 230 and 250. How is it you
>> are getting 300?

> Are you using an extension cord? They can reduce the current and lower
> the temperature if they're not the heavy duty ones.

I don't use an extension cord and my temps are consistantly 230 to 250
depending on if the wood is smoking or burning, sometimes a little higher
if I put too much wood in.

Harry in Iowa

--
'Its just NOTSO if you feel the need to contact me'

Harry in Iowa 20-11-2003 02:17 PM

Basting with bacon

"The Fat Man®" > held forth in
:

> Barry wrote:
>
>>> Isn't 300 degrees a bit hgh for smoking a but? I keep it lower to
>>> avoid

>> any drying out.
>> 300 seems like it saves time though.

> The *slower* you cook it, the more apt you are to dry it out.
>
> Sorry, but you've been reading too much internet barbecue advice.
> That whole business about cooking at 220 is a myth. Nonsense.
>
> Here's a couple of quotes from Bob in Ga. The quotes are from a reply
> he sent me concerning whole hog cooking.
>
> -------------------
>
> "The methodology used to cook this classic bbq, in my opinion, was not
> meant for huge thick cuts such as the shoulder-butts from #1 hogs that
> are sold at grocery stores. Reason being that I don't subscribe to the
> newfangled idea that the process was ever intended to be "low and
> slow" ala internet hobbyist bbq. But I'll get to more on that later."

snippage

I recently did a 150 pound whole hog which due to either too much fuel or
the design of the pit cooked at 350 degrees F. It was done in 9 hours. I
was expecting a lot longer so at 3 in the A of M, myself and a couple of
family members were pulling pork.

Harry in Iowa

--
'Its just NOTSO if you feel the need to contact me'

John O 20-11-2003 06:25 PM

Basting with bacon

> >> My electric brinkman usually runs between 230 and 250. How is it you
> >> are getting 300?

> > Are you using an extension cord? They can reduce the current and lower
> > the temperature if they're not the heavy duty ones.
> >

> I don't use an extension cord and my temps are consistantly 230 to 250
> depending on if the wood is smoking or burning, sometimes a little higher
> if I put too much wood in.

Assuming this is a problem with the electrical system, and has nothing
whatsoever to do with ambient temps and wind and whatnot, the problem is
Ohm's Law. P=E²/R

Either the voltage is too low, or the resistance of the element is too high.
That keeps the power low which keeps the smoker cooler. Boost the AC voltage
or get an element with less resistance, and it'll generate more heat.

-John O

BOB 20-11-2003 08:36 PM

Basting with bacon

frohe typed:
> BOB wrote:
>> IMO, you have to be either a Texan or weird to like mesquite. Or
>> both.

> Howdy from one weird Texican. <g>
> --
> -frohe
> Life is too short to be in a hurry

(waving back at the Texican I hoped would read my reply)

<vbg>

BOB

The Fat Man® 20-11-2003 11:42 PM

Basting with bacon

Faye Kinnitt wrote:

> I have determined that hickory has a much nicer flavor than
> the mesquite I've been using up until now and would like to
> get a hold of some fruitwood to try. I think the mesquite I have
> left is going in the trash as it seems too harsh compared to the
> hickory flavor.

Bob, stinkweed and pine needles would give off a better smell than mesquite.
You're doing the right thing by tossing it in the trash.

Those dang Texans have been trying to rid their state of the weed for years.
Their most successful attempt has been selling it to folks as BBQ wood.

I've eaten a *LOT* of BBQ in my day, and while I've never eaten anything
good that came from a mesquite fire, some folks say it's good for grilling.
I'm inclined to believe them, but for smoking it's worthless.

TFM®

Brick 21-11-2003 11:22 AM

Basting with bacon

"The Fat Man®" wrote

> Bob, stinkweed and pine needles would give off a better smell than

mesquite.
> You're doing the right thing by tossing it in the trash.
>
> Those dang Texans have been trying to rid their state of the weed

for years.
> Their most successful attempt has been selling it to folks as BBQ

wood.

> I've eaten a *LOT* of BBQ in my day, and while I've never eaten

anything
> good that came from a mesquite fire, some folks say it's good for

grilling.
> I'm inclined to believe them, but for smoking it's worthless.
>

> TFM®

I do believe you are correct TFM®. Years ago, I did a lot of grilling
with
mesquite, but there was now smoke involved other then from grease
drippings.
We burned mesquite in a brick pit and always let it reduce to coals
before
cooking on it.

Brick ( Didn't always have the money to buy real wood )

Jack Schidt® 21-11-2003 12:20 PM

Basting with bacon

"The Fat Man®" > wrote in message
m...
> Faye Kinnitt wrote:
>
> > I have determined that hickory has a much nicer flavor than
> > the mesquite I've been using up until now and would like to
> > get a hold of some fruitwood to try. I think the mesquite I have
> > left is going in the trash as it seems too harsh compared to the
> > hickory flavor.

> Bob, stinkweed and pine needles would give off a better smell than

mesquite.
> You're doing the right thing by tossing it in the trash.
>
> Those dang Texans have been trying to rid their state of the weed for

years.
> Their most successful attempt has been selling it to folks as BBQ wood.
>
> I've eaten a *LOT* of BBQ in my day, and while I've never eaten anything
> good that came from a mesquite fire, some folks say it's good for

grilling.
> I'm inclined to believe them, but for smoking it's worthless.
>

> TFM®

Grilling chicken and believe it or not, swordfish.

Jack

Harry in Iowa 21-11-2003 03:21 PM

Basting with bacon

"John O" > held forth in
. com:

>> > Are you using an extension cord? They can reduce the current and
>> > lower the temperature if they're not the heavy duty ones.
>> >

>> I don't use an extension cord and my temps are consistantly 230 to
>> 250 depending on if the wood is smoking or burning, sometimes a
>> little higher if I put too much wood in.
>>

> Assuming this is a problem with the electrical system, and has nothing
> whatsoever to do with ambient temps and wind and whatnot, the problem
> is Ohm's Law. P=E²/R
>
> Either the voltage is too low, or the resistance of the element is too
> high. That keeps the power low which keeps the smoker cooler. Boost
> the AC voltage or get an element with less resistance, and it'll
> generate more heat.
>
> -John O

I don't want more heat, 250 is just fine. I was wondering why his was
running 300. And ohms law make my head hurt. I have to go have a homebrew
now

Harry in Iowa
--
'Its just NOTSO if you feel the need to contact me'