Bucky Badger

Default Help needed for smoking a turkey on a Weber

I am planning on cooking and smoking a turkey on my Weber kettle next
week and seeing as the only thing I ever do is burn brats and
hamburgers on it. A few years a friend gave me instructions for
cooking one using an indirect method, but this year I'd like to add
smoke smoking chips and smoke it also.
What are the best type (wood) chips to use? I would expect it to be
different that smoking beef or pork.
Please remember I'm a newbie at this so please keep directions simple.
BTW the bird will be in the 12-15 lb range.
Thanks in advance
Dave
Kent H.

Default How U do a Turkey in Madison in the Winter

Bucky,
You can't cook and SMOKE a turkey on the 22" weber. U can do a pretty
good job of cooking it, however. Brine it overnight, make coals on both
sides of the grill, leaving a drip pan in the center. Put the deceased
bird breast side down on, after tying it up, and not stuffing it. Cook
at about 300F for about 2-3 hours, until the thigh joint temp is 180,
and the breast temp. is 165F, then rest for 15 min. After 1 hour of
cooking, turn the bird 90 degrees three times for 15 minutes each, and
then place it back breast side down. Rest, 15 min. while you are getting
everything else going, and you will have done everything right.
It's too cold in Madison to do this, although I used to suffer through
it as well.
Cheers from Cal.
Kent

Bucky Badger wrote:

> I am planning on cooking and smoking a turkey on my Weber kettle next
> week and seeing as the only thing I ever do is burn brats and
> hamburgers on it. A few years a friend gave me instructions for
> cooking one using an indirect method, but this year I'd like to add
> smoke smoking chips and smoke it also.
> What are the best type (wood) chips to use? I would expect it to be
> different that smoking beef or pork.
> Please remember I'm a newbie at this so please keep directions simple.
> BTW the bird will be in the 12-15 lb range.
> Thanks in advance
> Dave

Randolph M. Jones

Kent H. wrote:
> Bucky,
> You can't cook and SMOKE a turkey on the 22" weber.

Of course you can. Just set up the grill for indirect heat (basically
do what's described below, although I haven't found the turning
necessary, and I haven't done it with brining) and add some wood chips.
It won't be the same as doing it in a smoker, but you still get a nice
bird with good smoky flavor. I've done it three times in a weber
kettle, each time with good results. This year's the first time I'm
going to try with my WSM (and brining), though. The weber web site used
to have instructions for smoking a turkey in a kettle (I assume they're
still there somewhere), and those are what I used.

>U can do a pretty
> good job of cooking it, however. Brine it overnight, make coals on both
> sides of the grill, leaving a drip pan in the center. Put the deceased
> bird breast side down on, after tying it up, and not stuffing it. Cook
> at about 300F for about 2-3 hours, until the thigh joint temp is 180,
> and the breast temp. is 165F, then rest for 15 min. After 1 hour of
> cooking, turn the bird 90 degrees three times for 15 minutes each, and
> then place it back breast side down. Rest, 15 min. while you are getting
> everything else going, and you will have done everything right.
> It's too cold in Madison to do this, although I used to suffer through
> it as well.
> Cheers from Cal.
> Kent

Jimbo

Weber site turkey recipe.
http://www.weberbbq.com/bbq/pub/reci...=poultry&r=273

Good Gobble...J

Kent H.

You're confused about what smoking is, as are many of the posters in
this NG.
1. You cure with brine, so the bird doesn't harbor evil organisms that
could infect you, in addition to the other benefits of brining.
2. You smoke the bird, or whatever. Turkey smokes at about 100-120F with
wood chips, in a little chef smoker or comparable smoker. Many so called
smokers don't quality because they get too hot.
3 After smoking for 8 or so hours, you put your smoked, but uncooked
bird into the Weber and cook it indirectly.
4. Cooking with wood in a Weber at 200 - 250F is cooking, not smoking.
Item #4 is what many posters are confused about. The relatively
worthless term "smoke-cooking" has emerged recently, to describe #4
above. Again, that is not smoking.
Happy ThanksG....
Kent

"Randolph M. Jones" wrote:

> Kent H. wrote:
> > Bucky,
> > You can't cook and SMOKE a turkey on the 22" weber.

> Of course you can. Just set up the grill for indirect heat (basically
> do what's described below, although I haven't found the turning
> necessary, and I haven't done it with brining) and add some wood chips.
> It won't be the same as doing it in a smoker, but you still get a nice
> bird with good smoky flavor. I've done it three times in a weber
> kettle, each time with good results. This year's the first time I'm
> going to try with my WSM (and brining), though. The weber web site used
> to have instructions for smoking a turkey in a kettle (I assume they're
> still there somewhere), and those are what I used.
>
> >U can do a pretty
> > good job of cooking it, however. Brine it overnight, make coals on both
> > sides of the grill, leaving a drip pan in the center. Put the deceased
> > bird breast side down on, after tying it up, and not stuffing it. Cook
> > at about 300F for about 2-3 hours, until the thigh joint temp is 180,
> > and the breast temp. is 165F, then rest for 15 min. After 1 hour of
> > cooking, turn the bird 90 degrees three times for 15 minutes each, and
> > then place it back breast side down. Rest, 15 min. while you are getting
> > everything else going, and you will have done everything right.
> > It's too cold in Madison to do this, although I used to suffer through
> > it as well.
> > Cheers from Cal.
> > Kent

Reg

Kent H. wrote:

> 3 After smoking for 8 or so hours, you put your smoked, but uncooked
> bird into the Weber and cook it indirectly.

If you're smoking for 8 hours at low temps (100-120 F) with only a low salt
concentration brine for cure you're taking a big risk. A nitrite cure is
strongly recommended here.

> 4. Cooking with wood in a Weber at 200 - 250F is cooking, not smoking.

No. Smoking is introducting smoke to the food product, regardless of
temperature.

Kent H.

Reg wrote:

> Kent H. wrote:
>
> > 3 After smoking for 8 or so hours, you put your smoked, but uncooked
> > bird into the Weber and cook it indirectly.

> If you're smoking for 8 hours at low temps (100-120 F) with only a low salt
> concentration brine for cure you're taking a big risk. A nitrite cure is
> strongly recommended here.

A good point. When I have done this I use a higher salt concentration
than 1 oz NaCl/quart of brine.

> > 4. Cooking with wood in a Weber at 200 - 250F is cooking, not smoking.

> No. Smoking is introducting smoke to the food product, regardless of
> temperature.

It is cooking! Smoking occurs before cooking. Cooking, largely with
charcoal, and adding a few bits of wood to the fire, doesn't constitute
smoking. It is cooking, perhaps with a bit of wood flavor added.
> --
> Reg email: RegForte (at) (that free MS email service) (dot) com

Reg

Kent H. wrote:

> Reg wrote:

>>No. Smoking is introducting smoke to the food product, regardless of
>>temperature.
>>

> It is cooking!

You can both cook and smoke at the same time. I'm not sure why
you would think you can't.

> It is cooking, perhaps with a bit of wood flavor added.

Wood flavor? That sounds to me like what you get if you rub it with
sawdust. I think you mean smoke flavor, which is what you get if you expose
it to smoke.

Let me pose it this way. Let's say you cook two birds. One is cooked in a
conventional oven at 300 F, another is smoked in a smoker in a 300 F.

One will have not have smoke flavor. The other will. What do you call the
process you used to give it the smoke flavor?

BOB

Reg typed:
> Kent H. wrote:
>
>> Reg wrote:

>>> No. Smoking is introducting smoke to the food product, regardless of
>>> temperature.
>>>

>> It is cooking!

> You can both cook and smoke at the same time. I'm not sure why
> you would think you can't.

Because this is Kent H. that you are trying to have an intelligent conversation
with. Remember his petty picking about brines in that other group?

BOB

Jack Schidt®

" BOB" > wrote in message
> Reg typed:
> > Kent H. wrote:

> >> It is cooking!

> > You can both cook and smoke at the same time. I'm not sure why
> > you would think you can't.

> Because this is Kent H. that you are trying to have an intelligent

conversation
> with. Remember his petty picking about brines in that other group?
>
> BOB

I'm glad I was onhand to catch Kent's culinary pearls of wisdom. It adds so
much to my squalid life.

Jack

Duwop

Jack Schidt® wrote:
> " BOB" > wrote in message
>> Reg typed:

>>> You can both cook and smoke at the same time. I'm not sure why
>>> you would think you can't.

>> Because this is Kent H. that you are trying to have an intelligent
>> conversation with. Remember his petty picking about brines in that
>> other group?
>>
>> BOB

> I'm glad I was onhand to catch Kent's culinary pearls of wisdom. It
> adds so much to my squalid life.
>
> Jack

My favorite part, that I will cherish for about another 2 or 3 days:

"Cook at about 300F for about 2-3 hours, until the thigh joint temp is 180,
AND the breast temp. is 165F, then rest for 15 min. After 1 hour of
cooking, turn the bird 90 degrees THREE times for 15 minutes each, and
then place it back breast side down. Rest, 15 min."

Oh my.

Kent, go brine a bird in your garage would you?

Kent H.

One can argue about semantics until you have facial flush. To make the
smokey wood flavor all parts of the meat, in most instances, you have to
smoke at a subcooking temperature. 85-90F for most fish, and 125 or so
for pork, and fowl. Doing this over 180F is cooking, with a bit of
smokey wood flavor thrown in. It's not smoking, in the accepted sense of
that word.
Cheers,
Kent

Reg wrote:

> Kent H. wrote:
>
> > Reg wrote:

> >>No. Smoking is introducting smoke to the food product, regardless of
> >>temperature.
> >>

> > It is cooking!

> You can both cook and smoke at the same time. I'm not sure why
> you would think you can't.
>
> > It is cooking, perhaps with a bit of wood flavor added.

> Wood flavor? That sounds to me like what you get if you rub it with
> sawdust. I think you mean smoke flavor, which is what you get if you expose
> it to smoke.
>
> Let me pose it this way. Let's say you cook two birds. One is cooked in a
> conventional oven at 300 F, another is smoked in a smoker in a 300 F.
>
> One will have not have smoke flavor. The other will. What do you call the
> process you used to give it the smoke flavor?
>
> --
> Reg email: RegForte (at) (that free MS email service) (dot) com

Kevin S. Wilson

On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 16:40:13 GMT, "Kent H." >
wrote:

>One can argue about semantics until you have facial flush. To make the
>smokey wood flavor all parts of the meat, in most instances, you have to
>smoke at a subcooking temperature. 85-90F for most fish, and 125 or so
>for pork, and fowl. Doing this over 180F is cooking, with a bit of
>smokey wood flavor thrown in. It's not smoking, in the accepted sense of
>that word.

Dear Top-Posting, Full-Quoting Bozo:

If that's the accepted definition, you shouldn't have any trouble
coming up with some authoritative uses of the term, right? Say from a
respected dictionary of culinary terms? Until then, you are merely
arguing by repeated assertion.

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a University Somewhere in Idaho
Monroe, of course...

In article >, "Jack
Schidt®" > wrote:

> I'm glad I was onhand to catch Kent's culinary pearls of wisdom. It adds so
> much to my squalid life.

Killfiling KuntH made my life better(testifytestify). It hurt my head
just how LAME his posts were. (sorry but there isn't any word other
than 'lame' without resorting to 'lamer than lamer than lame' mebbe
Gimpyheaded, cripplexic,or deintelligenceisticated?)

monroe(he's almost as bad as miles)
Kent H.

Look at "Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing" Kutas, 1987, Macmillan,
and "James Beard's treasury of Outdoor Cooking".
James Beard clearly differentiates between smoking, and "smoke cooking".
Kutas does not acknowledge "smoke cooking".

Those that persist in bottom posting look like they are constantly
eating feces, especially if they are doubting of the poster. When they
swallow enough feces, they get intractable vomiting, as this poster
seems to have.

"Kevin S. Wilson" wrote:

> On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 16:40:13 GMT, "Kent H." >
> wrote:
>
> >One can argue about semantics until you have facial flush. To make the
> >smokey wood flavor all parts of the meat, in most instances, you have to
> >smoke at a subcooking temperature. 85-90F for most fish, and 125 or so
> >for pork, and fowl. Doing this over 180F is cooking, with a bit of
> >smokey wood flavor thrown in. It's not smoking, in the accepted sense of
> >that word.

> Dear Top-Posting, Full-Quoting Bozo:
>
> If that's the accepted definition, you shouldn't have any trouble
> coming up with some authoritative uses of the term, right? Say from a
> respected dictionary of culinary terms? Until then, you are merely
> arguing by repeated assertion.
>
> --
> Kevin S. Wilson
> Tech Writer at a University Somewhere in Idaho
> "Anything, when cooked in large enough batches, will be vile."
> --Dag Right-square-bracket-gren, in alt.religion.kibology

Kevin S. Wilson

On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 17:23:10 GMT, "Kent H." >
wrote:

>Look at "Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing" Kutas, 1987, Macmillan,
>and "James Beard's treasury of Outdoor Cooking".
>James Beard clearly differentiates between smoking, and "smoke cooking".
>Kutas does not acknowledge "smoke cooking".

DYOFHW. I'm not the one making the assertion. You are. Now I'm
supposed to take your word for it that these books make those
distinctions.

>Those that persist in bottom posting look like they are constantly
>eating feces, especially if they are doubting of the poster. When they
>swallow enough feces, they get intractable vomiting, as this poster
>seems to have.

Um, Kent? Screw you, sincerely.

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a University Somewhere in Idaho
"Anything, when cooked in large enough batches, will be vile."
--Dag Right-square-bracket-gren, in alt.religion.kibology
Duwop

Kent H. wrote:
> Those that persist in bottom posting look like they are constantly
> eating feces, especially if they are doubting of the poster.

ESPECIALLY then, eh? Wow, tell us your opinion on interleaving, we do
respect them so much from a learned man such as yourself, please, is
interleaving acceptable?

> When they
> swallow enough feces, they get intractable vomiting, as this poster
> seems to have.

So, bottom posting makes a person "look" like they are eating something? And
it can lead to actual physical manifestations? Thanks god we have you with
your extentive medical training here to help guide us unworthy's. Please
tell us how else to avoid sickness.

LMAOROTFL, stop it, stop it, you're killin' me!
At least I've learnt not to be drinking any beverages when reading a Kent
missive, much too much danger of laughter splatter.

Reg

Kent H. wrote:

> Look at "Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing" Kutas, 1987, Macmillan,
> and "James Beard's treasury of Outdoor Cooking".
> James Beard clearly differentiates between smoking, and "smoke cooking".
> Kutas does not acknowledge "smoke cooking".

I find this interpretation confusing. Neither of the authors you cite
would have a problem with the concept that both cold smoking and
hot smoking are a form of smoking.

This is all very, very odd.

You can interpret terminology as you see fit of course, but you'll be
the only one using the terminology that way. What good is that? Sorta
like the sound of one hand clapping.

"Kent H." > wrote:
> Look at "Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing" Kutas, 1987, Macmillan,
> and "James Beard's treasury of Outdoor Cooking".
> James Beard clearly differentiates between smoking, and "smoke cooking".
> Kutas does not acknowledge "smoke cooking".

In "Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing" Kutas, 1984, there is a section
on 'Smoking Meat', runs from page 46 to 78. On p. 48, he says, "Last of
all, during all of these stages, the meat is being slowly cooked." "A small
diameter sausage . . . can be smoked and flavored in a few hours at 160
degrees F." On p. 59, he points out that ". . . you are always safe at 152
degrees F. internally . . . " Further, on p. 61, he points out that " . . .
fish or poultry . . . can be smoked and cooked in the 200 degree f. range.
At this high temperature, the use of cures is unnecessary."

That last sentence is the key. Cold smoking can only be done with products
that have a curing agent, such as Prague powder or Morton's Tender Quick,
mixed in. Otherwise, you better have 911 on your speed-dialer!

My wife makes a Laotian style sausage. It has the Thai equivalent of Prague
powder in it and is air dried at room temperature. I have cold-smoked some
at 90 degrees F., but that doesn't matter from a safety standpoint, because
it's already cured (cooked if you will)! Also, it should be noted, it took
8 hours of smoking to get the smoke flavor up to where it would be
noticeable against the richness of the sausage itself.

Bottom line, IMNSHO, it's easy to mis-quote an authority or take their
statements out-of-context to support an erroneous doctrine.

Bottom posted with care.

S/f,

--
Nick, Retired in the San Fernando Valley www.boonchoo.com
"Giving violent criminals a government guarantee that their intended