Barry

Default Turkey on a BGE or Kamado

I do chickens all the time on our BGE. We do them direct at +/- 350.
I've done turkies sitting in a pan at about the same temp.

Should we be using a heat deflector for turkey, or is the pan considered the
deflecter?
I would think that there are just too many juices to do it direct without
the pan, as we
do chickens.

Any advise, is welcome.

Kevin S. Wilson

On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 14:45:25 GMT, "Barry" >
wrote:

>I do chickens all the time on our BGE. We do them direct at +/- 350.
>I've done turkies sitting in a pan at about the same temp.
>
>Should we be using a heat deflector for turkey, or is the pan considered the
>deflecter?
>I would think that there are just too many juices to do it direct without
>the pan, as we
>do chickens.

I use both: a roasting pan and a pizza stone for a heat deflector.

On my web site you'll find step-by-step instructions for doing a
turkey on a Kamado.

http://www.webpak.net/~rescyou/turkey/turkey.htm

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a University Somewhere in Idaho
Jack Schidt®

"Barry" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> I do chickens all the time on our BGE. We do them direct at +/- 350.
> I've done turkies sitting in a pan at about the same temp.
>
> Should we be using a heat deflector for turkey, or is the pan considered

the
> deflecter?
> I would think that there are just too many juices to do it direct without
> the pan, as we
> do chickens.
>
> Any advise, is welcome.

I've experienced less 'scorch' using a heat deflector with turkey (chicken
too, for that matter). You'll still experience all the wood infused flavor
too.

Jack

BOB

Barry typed:
> I do chickens all the time on our BGE. We do them direct at +/- 350.
> I've done turkies sitting in a pan at about the same temp.
>
> Should we be using a heat deflector for turkey, or is the pan considered the
> deflecter?
> I would think that there are just too many juices to do it direct without
> the pan, as we
> do chickens.
>
> Any advise, is welcome.

Heat deflector if you want to use the juices for something like gravy, or the
juices will burn.

If you don't care about the juices, cook indirect.

BOB

Woogeroo

On my old style bge - I have cooked turkeys upright on a up the butt
rack - or on a regular V rack. I used a water/drip pan for both.

For the up the butt rack, I used a cast iron skilelt for the pan, oen
that the up the butt rack fit perefectly into.

I smoked the turkey at 225 - 250 dome temperature.

I have smoked chickens using the spatchcock method, layign them
directly on the grill - that turned out really good. I also used the
spatchcock method, using the regular V rack.

wrote:

>I do chickens all the time on our BGE. We do them direct at +/- 350.
>I've done turkies sitting in a pan at about the same temp.
>
>Should we be using a heat deflector for turkey, or is the pan considered the
>deflecter?
>I would think that there are just too many juices to do it direct without
>the pan, as we
>do chickens.
>
>Any advise, is welcome.

-Woogeroo

remove NOBS to send email.

Woogeroo's Smoking Page:

http://woogeroo.home.mindspring.com/wsp/

smokin' along with an old style Big Green Egg...

Woogeroo's Autolinks:

http://woogeroo.home.mindspring.com

cory

Kevin S. Wilson wrote:

> On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 14:45:25 GMT, "Barry" >
> wrote:
>

>>I do chickens all the time on our BGE. We do them direct at +/- 350.
>>I've done turkies sitting in a pan at about the same temp.
>>
>>Should we be using a heat deflector for turkey, or is the pan considered the
>>deflecter?
>>I would think that there are just too many juices to do it direct without
>>the pan, as we
>>do chickens.
>>

> I use both: a roasting pan and a pizza stone for a heat deflector.
>
> On my web site you'll find step-by-step instructions for doing a
> turkey on a Kamado.
>
> http://www.webpak.net/~rescyou/turkey/turkey.htm

Ever since I first saw this last year, I've wondered why you didn't
describe the end result. How was the flavor? The texture? Did it carve
well? Did you avoid the "pulled turkey" phenomenon?

Kevin S. Wilson

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 07:21:49 GMT, cory > wrote:

>Kevin S. Wilson wrote:
>
>> On my web site you'll find step-by-step instructions for doing a
>> turkey on a Kamado.
>>
>> http://www.webpak.net/~rescyou/turkey/turkey.htm
>>

>Ever since I first saw this last year, I've wondered why you didn't
>describe the end result.

Probably because it was originally put up on the web as my entry in
the Kamado Turkey Recipe/Photo Contest. I was out to win a #5 Kamado
and didn't think at the time that it was necessary to describe the end
result.

>How was the flavor? The texture? Did it carve
>well?

It was like every turkey I've done on the K: moist, juicy, and full
of flavor. The brine adds a nice, subtle mix of herbs and spices. I
don't remember if that particular turkey squirted me with juice when I
carved into it, but most do.

> Did you avoid the "pulled turkey" phenomenon?

What's that?

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a University Somewhere in Idaho
"Anything, when cooked in large enough batches, will be vile."
--Dag Right-square-bracket-gren, in alt.religion.kibology
cory

Kevin S. Wilson wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 07:21:49 GMT, cory > wrote:
>

>>Kevin S. Wilson wrote:
>>

>>>On my web site you'll find step-by-step instructions for doing a
>>>turkey on a Kamado.
>>>
>>>http://www.webpak.net/~rescyou/turkey/turkey.htm

<snip>

>>How was the flavor? The texture? Did it carve
>>well?

> It was like every turkey I've done on the K: moist, juicy, and full
> of flavor. The brine adds a nice, subtle mix of herbs and spices. I
> don't remember if that particular turkey squirted me with juice when I
> carved into it, but most do.

That's good to hear. I'm planning to use your technique/recipe this t-day.

>>Did you avoid the "pulled turkey" phenomenon?

> What's that?

I've read in various places that people who have attempted to BBQ
a turkey in a Kamado ended up with meat that was too soft to carve,
but rather would pull like a pork shoulder. I wouldn't like it to have
that texture. Was yours firm enough to be carved without falling apart?

Kevin S. Wilson

On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 05:51:36 GMT, cory > wrote:

>I've read in various places that people who have attempted to BBQ
>a turkey in a Kamado ended up with meat that was too soft to carve,
>but rather would pull like a pork shoulder. I wouldn't like it to have
>that texture. Was yours firm enough to be carved without falling apart?

Absolutely. Never had the problem of pulled turkey.

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a University Somewhere in Idaho
"Who put these fingerprints on my imagination?"
Harry Demidavicius

On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 08:57:32 -0700, Kevin S. Wilson >
wrote:

>On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 05:51:36 GMT, cory > wrote:
>
>>I've read in various places that people who have attempted to BBQ
>>a turkey in a Kamado ended up with meat that was too soft to carve,
>>but rather would pull like a pork shoulder. I wouldn't like it to have
>>that texture. Was yours firm enough to be carved without falling apart?

>Absolutely. Never had the problem of pulled turkey.

I've been K'ing brined turkeys for many years and I've never had
"pullable" turkey. I target for 20 minutes/lb less 20 minutes for an
18 lb bird at 350-360F. The bird is below room temp to start and we
also stuff ours with traditional stuffing. I start watching when it
passes through 3 hours which is when I pop in the Polder. I pull it
earlier than most 150F and it rests out to almost 160F. I'm usually
within 30 minutes of my ETA for an "Early Well Done" bird.

Harry

Harry in Iowa

Harry Demidavicius > held forth in
:

> On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 08:57:32 -0700, Kevin S. Wilson >
> wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 05:51:36 GMT, cory > wrote:
>>
>>>I've read in various places that people who have attempted to BBQ
>>>a turkey in a Kamado ended up with meat that was too soft to carve,
>>>but rather would pull like a pork shoulder. I wouldn't like it to have
>>>that texture. Was yours firm enough to be carved without falling

apart?

>>Absolutely. Never had the problem of pulled turkey.

> I've been K'ing brined turkeys for many years and I've never had
> "pullable" turkey. I target for 20 minutes/lb less 20 minutes for an
> 18 lb bird at 350-360F. The bird is below room temp to start and we
> also stuff ours with traditional stuffing. I start watching when it
> passes through 3 hours which is when I pop in the Polder. I pull it
> earlier than most 150F and it rests out to almost 160F. I'm usually
> within 30 minutes of my ETA for an "Early Well Done" bird.
>
> Harry

Harry, what is a "polder"?

Harry in Iowa

--
'Its just NOTSO if you feel the need to contact me'
Kevin S. Wilson

On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 15:17:43 +0000 (UTC), Harry in Iowa
> wrote:

>Harry, what is a "polder"?

A Polder brand thermometer. Comes with a 2-foot probe so the display
can sit outside of your cooker. They are kind of expensive (around
$30) but you can often find knock-offs for a third of the price.

Polder has an indecipherable web site at www.polder.com

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a University Somewhere in Idaho
"Who put these fingerprints on my imagination?"
Duwop

Harry in Iowa wrote:
> Harry Demidavicius > held forth in
> :
>
> Harry, what is a "polder"?
>
> Harry in Iowa

Well, I'm not Harry, but I played one once, here's a link to a typical one:

http://store.yahoo.com/candochefs/tim.html (Google search comes up with a
few more hits)

"Thermometer with meat probe", some come with send receive so you can have
the remote temp. gauge in your house while the probe is working. Many here
use one as a better gauge than the stock thermostat on our cookers as well
as one for meat checking.

Harry Demidavicius

On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 07:35:50 -0800, "Duwop" >
wrote:

>Harry in Iowa wrote:
>> Harry Demidavicius > held forth in
>> :
>>
>> Harry, what is a "polder"?
>>
>> Harry in Iowa

>Well, I'm not Harry, but I played one once, here's a link to a typical one:
>
>http://store.yahoo.com/candochefs/tim.html (Google search comes up with a
>few more hits)
>
>"Thermometer with meat probe", some come with send receive so you can have
>the remote temp. gauge in your house while the probe is working. Many here
>use one as a better gauge than the stock thermostat on our cookers as well
>as one for meat checking.

I'm Harry, Harry in . . I see you have allready been well informed
;0)

Harry

Kamado does right by me. Matthew L. Martin Barbecue 5 12-04-2005 02:51 AM
BGE or Kamado fatsam Barbecue 29 07-09-2004 09:49 PM
Saw our first Kamado bk Barbecue 5 24-07-2004 11:23 PM
Kamado Dave Barbecue 26 29-06-2004 02:44 AM
Kamado On E-Bay JL Barbecue 10 20-12-2003 04:55 PM