Louis Cohen

Default Hawaii

We just got back from the Big Island of Hawaii. The indigenous form of BBQ
there is of course kalua pig - easily recognizable here as pulled pork with
local seasoning (sea salt, ginger, garlic, and black pepper). It's often
served on a plate lunch mixed up with cooked cabbage, which is very tasty.
And, of course, it is cooked "whole hog" in an underground oven (imu) at
luaus. The pig is often cooked and served with sweet potatoes alongside. I
guess they pull the meat off the ribs as well - I've never seen anything but
the shredded meat served. I'll post some photos when I have the album set
up.

They often use kiawe wood to heat the imu. Kiawe seeds came to Hawaii in
the cattle shipped from Texas to populate the ranches - it's just mesquite.

Ribs are usually cooked Chinese style, rather than BBQ - cut up in small
pieces on the bone and braised in a wok, with a sweet and sour, or a savory
sauce (often based on salted black beans).

Chinese style BBQ pork (char sui) is widely used - a few slices in a bowl of
saimin noodle soup, chopped up in fried rice, etc.

Although there are several cattle ranches on the Big Island (the large
Parker Ranch and many small family operations), I didn't see any brisket.
My guess is that it gets ground up and used as hamburger in loco mocos
(hamburger patty and eggs, served over rice).

I don't generally eat BBQ out anymore, as restaurant BBQ is rarely as good
as you can make yourself (for sound commercial reasons). So, however
attractive the name, we did not try "Billy Bob's Park and Pork" in Kona.

Without question, the most popular meat on the Big Island is Spam. My
favorite use is the Spam musubi - a slice of Spam surrounded by sushi rice
and wrapped in seaweed.

Regards

Louis Cohen
Living la vida loca at N37° 43' 7.9" W122° 8' 42.8"

Nathan Lau

Louis Cohen wrote:

> We just got back from the Big Island of Hawaii. The indigenous form of BBQ

So that's where you've been!

> there is of course kalua pig - easily recognizable here as pulled pork with
> local seasoning (sea salt, ginger, garlic, and black pepper). It's often
> served on a plate lunch mixed up with cooked cabbage, which is very tasty.
> And, of course, it is cooked "whole hog" in an underground oven (imu) at
> luaus. The pig is often cooked and served with sweet potatoes alongside. I
> guess they pull the meat off the ribs as well - I've never seen anything but
> the shredded meat served. I'll post some photos when I have the album set
> up.

The pig is not barbecued so much as it is steam-cooked. Yet it does
pick up the smoky flavor from the burned kiawe.

> They often use kiawe wood to heat the imu. Kiawe seeds came to Hawaii in
> the cattle shipped from Texas to populate the ranches - it's just mesquite.
>
> Ribs are usually cooked Chinese style, rather than BBQ - cut up in small
> pieces on the bone and braised in a wok, with a sweet and sour, or a savory
> sauce (often based on salted black beans).
>
> Chinese style BBQ pork (char sui) is widely used - a few slices in a bowl of
> saimin noodle soup, chopped up in fried rice, etc.
>
> Although there are several cattle ranches on the Big Island (the large
> Parker Ranch and many small family operations), I didn't see any brisket.
> My guess is that it gets ground up and used as hamburger in loco mocos
> (hamburger patty and eggs, served over rice).

I believe the cattle are only raised on Hawaii but shipped to the
mainland for slaughter. Besides corned beef, brisket wasn't known in my
household.

> I don't generally eat BBQ out anymore, as restaurant BBQ is rarely as good
> as you can make yourself (for sound commercial reasons). So, however
> attractive the name, we did not try "Billy Bob's Park and Pork" in Kona.

> Without question, the most popular meat on the Big Island is Spam. My
> favorite use is the Spam musubi - a slice of Spam surrounded by sushi rice
> and wrapped in seaweed.

Oh yeah! Can't get enough of the stuff!

--
Aloha,

Nathan Lau
San Jose, CA

#include <std.disclaimer>

Nathan Lau

Louis Cohen wrote:

> We just got back from the Big Island of Hawaii. The indigenous form of BBQ
> there is of course kalua pig - easily recognizable here as pulled pork with
> local seasoning (sea salt, ginger, garlic, and black pepper). It's often
> served on a plate lunch mixed up with cooked cabbage, which is very tasty.
> And, of course, it is cooked "whole hog" in an underground oven (imu) at
> luaus. The pig is often cooked and served with sweet potatoes alongside. I
> guess they pull the meat off the ribs as well - I've never seen anything but
> the shredded meat served. I'll post some photos when I have the album set
> up.
>
> They often use kiawe wood to heat the imu. Kiawe seeds came to Hawaii in
> the cattle shipped from Texas to populate the ranches - it's just mesquite.

You're thinking of making some kalua pig in your K, aren't you?

Lots of recipes about oven kalua, but here's something using a Kamado:

http://www.davidsnyder.info/Kalua%20pig.htm
http://www.davidsnyder.info/recipes/www13.htm

If you could sub kosher for sea salt and use mesquite lump instead of
alder, you might get close!

Take the drippings from the drip pan, separate the fat, and use that to
cook your cabbage in. Shred the pork and add it to the cabbage. Mmm-mmm
good!

--
Aloha,

Nathan Lau
San Jose, CA

#include <std.disclaimer>

Hawaii Ana Coffee [email protected] General Cooking 0 03-10-2007 05:37 PM
Tea in Hawaii Nigel Tea 0 25-09-2007 10:05 AM
Lamb Hawaii yankeegrL425 Recipes (moderated) 0 24-09-2005 12:31 PM
Lamb Hawaii yankeegrL425 Recipes 0 24-09-2005 04:44 AM
BBQ in Hawaii bk Barbecue 71 14-07-2004 07:06 AM