Brian and Maryann

Default Smoked summer sausage problems

It started out a wonderful day. It ended in disaster. I smoked chicken,
potatoes, and smoked summer sausage.
The chicken was on for 4 hours and was great, the potatoes were on for 2
hours and they were OK too.
The summer sausage was on for (Usual for me) 7 hours.
IT came off dry enough you could snap it in half and the inner color was
gray, not red or pink as my others turned out. The only difference in
preparation was that it cured for 6 days and I usually cure for 4 days.
Could this be it?

The Fat Man®

Brian and Maryann wrote:
> It started out a wonderful day. It ended in disaster. I smoked
> chicken, potatoes, and smoked summer sausage.
> The chicken was on for 4 hours and was great, the potatoes were on
> for 2 hours and they were OK too.
> The summer sausage was on for (Usual for me) 7 hours.
> IT came off dry enough you could snap it in half and the inner color
> was gray, not red or pink as my others turned out. The only
> difference in preparation was that it cured for 6 days and I usually
> cure for 4 days. Could this be it?

Cure keeps working as long as the meat is in it. You went 50% longer with
the cure time in this instance. You just answered your own question.

TFM®