Bill Schulz

Default Infrared BBQ Grills vs traditional grills

I moved into a new home and had natural gas plumbed for a built-in
BBQ. After researching a little I discovered infrared grills which I
am unfamiliar with. I BBQ quite a bit and was looking to upgrade
between 36"-48". It must have a rotissarie, be able to slow cook
(smoke) and get high heat for searing without overcooking. Does
anyone have any practical experience with an infrared grill? Can I
get one grill to do all this successfully?
Miles

Bill Schulz wrote:
> I moved into a new home and had natural gas plumbed for a built-in
> BBQ. After researching a little I discovered infrared grills which I
> am unfamiliar with. I BBQ quite a bit and was looking to upgrade
> between 36"-48". It must have a rotissarie, be able to slow cook
> (smoke) and get high heat for searing without overcooking. Does
> anyone have any practical experience with an infrared grill? Can I
> get one grill to do all this successfully?

If you want slow cooking then you do not want an infrared grill. They
are very hot. Great for searing but difficult to keep the temp down
low. Most of the newer conventional gas grills do offer the option of
an infared backburner for use with a rotissarie. That allows slow
cooking using the regular burners and then sear it with the backburner.

If you want to look into infrared grills look at TEC. They are top of
the line and have been doing infared I believe longer than anyone else.

I went with a conventional gas grill and love it. Mine is a Fire Magic
Custom I built in. They are one of the oldest grill makers in the
country. They still sell parts for 60 year old grills making support
better than most. Whatever you get, look for stainless burners (cast
rather than tube is preferred) and stainless grills. Brass burners
would be my second choice. Cast iron would be last.

jdoe

There was a decent write up from Cooks Illustrated (I believe) and the tec
was not highly thought of. It's a very single purpose grill and definitely
will not do BBQ. FWIW there are some very fine grills out but from what I've
seen the Weber line is quite nice with very good support and so on. I have a
10 yo Genesis II and a new Sam's MM 0202 xc that I converted to NG. I really
enjoy them both. The MM seems to need jsut a little more care than the weber
(the burner ports clog up a little with some kind of white crusty subsatnce.
I believe it's salts from the cooking process so occasionaly I have to slip
them out and clean them otherwise it's a nice product. I've never had
problems with the weber's burners though.
Larry
om...

Gas Grills? vex[_4_] Barbecue 16 07-06-2009 04:44 AM
Infrared BBQ grills Kathleen[_4_] Barbecue 2 11-04-2009 09:20 PM
Gas grills, which one to get? Ray S. & Nayda Katzaman Barbecue 30 30-05-2008 03:03 AM
Infrared BBQ Grills vs traditional grills Bill Schulz Cooking Equipment 5 10-11-2003 06:02 PM
Grills are the best Kaimana Rocker General Cooking 1 08-10-2003 03:17 AM