Reg

Default Deep frying a polder

Any polder users out there ever deep fry with a polder? Did the
probe survive after spending time submerged in 350 F oil?
I'm deep frying a 21 lb turkey tomorrow and I'd prefer to use
the polder if possible.

Miles

Reg wrote:

> Any polder users out there ever deep fry with a polder? Did the
> probe survive after spending time submerged in 350 F oil?
> I'm deep frying a 21 lb turkey tomorrow and I'd prefer to use
> the polder if possible.

I've yet to see a decent thermometer for deep frying. Lots of them for
measuring oil temp. Closest I have seen is a rather cheap camp chef
deep fry probe. While it is designed for measuring oil temp the probe
is long enough to insert into the meat. The dial itself must remain
above the surface (It is not a cabled probe). I'd be curious as you are
whether a probe can survive a fryer.

Reg > wrote:
> Any polder users out there ever deep fry with a polder? Did the
> probe survive after spending time submerged in 350 F oil?
> I'm deep frying a 21 lb turkey tomorrow and I'd prefer to use
> the polder if possible.

Yup. Do it regularly. Oil's gotten up to 390 with no problem. (Weeeeell,
maybe a little smoke)

--
Nick, Retired in the San Fernando Valley www.boonchoo.com
"Giving violent criminals a government guarantee that their intended
Reg

wrote:

> Reg > wrote:
>
>>Any polder users out there ever deep fry with a polder? Did the
>>probe survive after spending time submerged in 350 F oil?
>>I'm deep frying a 21 lb turkey tomorrow and I'd prefer to use
>>the polder if possible.

Yup. Do it regularly. Oil's gotten up to 390 with no problem. (Weeeeell,
maybe a little smoke)

Nick, Retired in the San Fernando Valley
www.boonchoo.com
"Giving violent criminals a government guarantee that their intended
victims are defenseless is bad public policy." - John Ross, "Unintended Consequences"

Hey thanks Nick from the San Fernando Valley.

Funny, that's where the turkey's getting cooked tomorrow.
Tarzana to be exact.

Small world.

Reg > wrote:
[ . . . ]

> Hey thanks Nick from the San Fernando Valley.
>
> Funny, that's where the turkey's getting cooked tomorrow.
> Tarzana to be exact.
>
> Small world.

Well shoot, boy. I'm in N. Hollywood. 'Old Dick in the Burbank Road Kings
does 'em that way all the time. If ya got beer, I could drop by and give ya
some pointers on eatin' that boid. If ya don't got beer, I could bring some
Peroni. Oh, yeah! Drop the SPAM if ya reply. hehehe

--
Nick, Retired in the San Fernando Valley www.boonchoo.com
"Giving violent criminals a government guarantee that their intended
victims are defenseless is bad public policy."
- John Ross, "Unintended Consequences"
Steve Wertz

On Thu, 6 Nov 2003 04:05:56 -0500, "Brick" >
wrote:

>Bout the only thing I can add to this thread is that I clip it to the
>side of the
>pot with a clothes pin so the cable don't fall into the oil. Works
>fine.

Use a binder clip. Clip the clip on the side of the pan, and thread
the probe through the holes in the clasp. This way it won't be
touching the side of the pan and give possibly inaccurate results (as
well as keeing it from dropping into the oil)

-sw
Brick

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 6 Nov 2003 04:05:56 -0500, "Brick" >
> wrote:
>
> >Bout the only thing I can add to this thread is that I clip it to

the
> >side of the
> >pot with a clothes pin so the cable don't fall into the oil. Works
> >fine.

> Use a binder clip. Clip the clip on the side of the pan, and thread
> the probe through the holes in the clasp. This way it won't be
> touching the side of the pan and give possibly inaccurate results

(as
> well as keeing it from dropping into the oil)
>
> -sw

Darn, I've been tripping over a couple of binder clips for the last
couple of years. Now where the H did they go when you want
one of them?

--
Camthalion Sáralondë

"Brick" > wrote:
> []
> Bout the only thing I can add to this thread is that I clip it to the
> side of the pot with a clothes pin so the cable don't fall into the
> oil.

Damn. Wish I'd thought of that. Thanks.

> Course I don't have a 'Polder' brand,

Mine are all 'clones' too.

Reg > wrote:
> wrote:
>
> > Well shoot, boy. I'm in N. Hollywood. 'Old Dick in the Burbank Road
> > Kings does 'em that way all the time. If ya got beer, I could drop by
> > and give ya some pointers on eatin' that boid. If ya don't got beer, I
> > could bring some Peroni. Oh, yeah! Drop the SPAM if ya reply. hehehe

> This is as catering gig, but if it were my own party you'd
> definetely be invited. It's a long drive too. I'm located in
> the SF Bay Area.
>
> I take it that's your restaurant over there at
www.boonchoo.com ?

Well, what the hell . . . over?

I thought you said Tarzana? I must be losin' it. Fine! Keep yer bird!

It's my wife's restaurant. Home, I be the King; there I'm her slave, unless
I just go to eat. LOL

--
Nick, Retired in the San Fernando Valley www.boonchoo.com
"Giving violent criminals a government guarantee that their intended
victims are defenseless is bad public policy."
- John Ross, "Unintended Consequences"

Deep Frying Question [email protected] General Cooking 7 12-05-2012 12:30 AM
Deep frying Oysters cybercat General Cooking 0 30-10-2006 04:59 PM
Deep frying Me General Cooking 10 01-04-2005 08:55 AM
deep frying? Bob (this one) General Cooking 11 07-07-2004 01:03 AM
Deep fry with polder probe Scott Barbecue 3 04-12-2003 01:31 PM