Peter Aitken

Default Pork shoulder - skin on or off

I am planning a traditional pulled Q - my first on the smoker. My shoulder
is about 60% covered with the skin. Should I remove this or not?

--
Peter Aitken

Brick

"Peter Aitken" > wrote in message
. com...
> I am planning a traditional pulled Q - my first on the smoker. My

shoulder
> is about 60% covered with the skin. Should I remove this or not?
>
> --
> Peter Aitken
>
> Remove the crap from my email address before using.

I have yet to encounter a shoulder with skin on it, but I've done a
few
picnics and the 'Q'd' skin adds nice taste and texture to the pulled
pork
after it's chopped up and mixed in. I believe 'Bob in Ga' has some
pertinent comments in the BBQ FAQ.

Brick.

Monroe, of course...

In article > , "Peter
Aitken" > wrote:

> I am planning a traditional pulled Q - my first on the smoker. My shoulder
> is about 60% covered with the skin. Should I remove this or not?

It can be a wrestle but you get better rub coverage if you remove the
skin. Some people score through it. Last butt I did I cooked direct
and used the skin as the deflector-kind of a pad to rest the meat on.
It worked pretty well.
Since it's your first I wanna say don't pull it until the internal is
over 190F. You want that bugger fallin apart.

monroe(gettin the butt hankerin again)
The Fat Man®

Peter Aitken wrote:
> I am planning a traditional pulled Q - my first on the smoker. My
> shoulder is about 60% covered with the skin. Should I remove this or
> not?

Not.

TMF®

Peter Aitken

"The Fat Man®" > wrote in message
m...
> Peter Aitken wrote:
> > I am planning a traditional pulled Q - my first on the smoker. My
> > shoulder is about 60% covered with the skin. Should I remove this or
> > not?

> Not.
>
> TMF®

Thanks all. It is going in the smoker soon, skin intact.

--
Peter Aitken

Uses For Pork Skin Mark Thorson General Cooking 14 11-05-2010 04:56 AM
Pork Crackling..(Pigs Skin Purchase) Bigbazza[_21_] General Cooking 5 13-07-2009 04:40 AM
Pork shoulder Lew/+Silat Barbecue 0 16-04-2005 05:41 AM
Pork Shoulder - Fat Up or Down fatsam Barbecue 17 07-10-2004 11:27 PM
My First Pork Shoulder Loki666 Barbecue 10 13-07-2004 03:29 AM