barry

Default Nitrites - slightly OT

There was an article in the NYTimes yesterday reporting some research done
on nitrites, the "nasty" things in sausages, cured meats and hot dogs.
Turns out that the nitrites actually help blood circulation and help ease or
even prevent a range of circulatory problems or diseases. Hot dogs as
healthy food -- what will "they" think of next?

Barry

Jack Smith

"barry">
There was an article in the NYTimes yesterday reporting some research done
> on nitrites, the "nasty" things in sausages, cured meats and hot dogs.
> Turns out that the nitrites actually help blood circulation and help ease

or
> even prevent a range of circulatory problems or diseases. Hot dogs as
> healthy food -- what will "they" think of next?

Nitrates and nitrites exist in vegetables naturally, as well as in your
intestines. I'm not going to go into it deeply, however:
1. The bad rap nitrates and nitrites got as we grew up resulted from
testing with lab rats and proportionally huge amounts of nitrates to
cause cancer, in some cases. Heck. I'll bet you could do that with Jell-O,
if you used enough.
2. In modern meat curing, very small amounts of nitrates or nitrites are
used, and most has dissipated before you eat it.
3. Sausage isn't "health food", but neither are barbecued ribs. I'm
not ever going to give up either one. How about you?

Jack Smith

Reg

barry wrote:

> There was an article in the NYTimes yesterday reporting some research done
> on nitrites, the "nasty" things in sausages, cured meats and hot dogs.
> Turns out that the nitrites actually help blood circulation and help ease or
> even prevent a range of circulatory problems or diseases. Hot dogs as
> healthy food -- what will "they" think of next?

Not OT at all. Right on the money actually.

There is not, and has never been, any evidence that nitrates/nitrites
cause health problems. There has been no shortage of research trying
to prove that they do.

There is some credible evidence that a secondary compound called
nitrosimines are carcinogenic. Nitrosamines are formed by cooking
nitrates at high temperature, i.e. when browning bacon. The amount
of exposure required to cause cancer is debatable.

I cure with nitrates/nitrites without fear of health effects. At the
same time, I have no illusions that nitrite cured meat is a health
food either, regardless of the silly ass NYT article. No doubt they
were printing the opposite during the nitrite health scare of the
70's.

Condor Chef

"Bill" > wrote in message
> There's no getting out of here alive. If one thing don't
> kill you, something else will. You might as well enjoy
> yourself while it lasts, IMO.

There's a guy that runs in my neighborhood almost every day.
Looks like a caucasian Mahatma Ghandi. He'll die in
perfect health. Most likely he'll get run over by a beer truck,
because the driver dropped his cigarette on the floor, and
had to switch his Krispy Kreme to the other hand to pick it up...

Think I should tell him the four basic food groups are actually
caffeine, nicotine, salt, and saturated fat?

CC

John O

> There's a guy that runs in my neighborhood almost every day.
> Looks like a caucasian Mahatma Ghandi. He'll die in
> perfect health.

He'll end up in the hospital dying of nothing. What a way to go.

John O

Jebediah Kornworthy

"barry" > wrote in message
t...
> There was an article in the NYTimes yesterday reporting some research done
> on nitrites, the "nasty" things in sausages, cured meats and hot dogs.
> Turns out that the nitrites actually help blood circulation and help ease

or
> even prevent a range of circulatory problems or diseases. Hot dogs as
> healthy food -- what will "they" think of next?
>
> Barry

Hello all,

I haven't been keeping up with this newsgroups lately but have
been checking it out more in the last couple of days.

First I wan to offer my condolences to friends and family of
Cuchulain
Libby (AKA The Hound.) What a shock. While I didn't know him personally I
read many of his posts and I know he was popular and going to be missed. I
enjoyed his personality and his posts.

As a child I would get raging headaches after eating hotdogs. I
told my Mother this and she didn't believe me but I'd rather have eaten
live grub worms than eat hot dogs as a child.

We found out later that sodium nitrate and sodium nitrite can cause
headaches in people who are allergic to the stuff. Well I was one of those
people. My allergies have changed since childhood and I can eat hotdogs
just fine now.

Jeb
Headache free in California

Bill Funk

On Tue, 04 Nov 2003 17:15:20 GMT, "barry" >
wrote:

>There was an article in the NYTimes yesterday reporting some research done
>on nitrites, the "nasty" things in sausages, cured meats and hot dogs.
>Turns out that the nitrites actually help blood circulation and help ease or
>even prevent a range of circulatory problems or diseases. Hot dogs as
>healthy food -- what will "they" think of next?
>
>Barry

Saw an ad on TV last night.
KFC was actually doing their best to say that their fried chicken is
healty. Compared a chicken breast to other foods.

--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"
Bill in ND

> .
> As a child I would get raging headaches after eating hotdogs. I
> told my Mother this and she didn't believe me but I'd rather have eaten
> live grub worms than eat hot dogs as a child.
>
> We found out later that sodium nitrate and sodium nitrite can cause
> headaches in people who are allergic to the stuff. Well I was one of those
> people. My allergies have changed since childhood and I can eat hotdogs
> just fine now.
>
> Jeb
> .

'Tis true in my case too. I am mildly allegic and while I can tollerate some
amount of products cured with these I get the shakes, joint pain and insomnia if
I overdue it. Nasty combination as you can't sleep it off.

BTW in honer of another Bill being on here I changed my name slightly. Thought
about adding ® but did not want to be a copycat.

Bill in ND

Slightly OT Malcom \Mal\ Reynolds General Cooking 8 14-10-2011 10:58 PM
Shelf life of Nitrites and Phosphates Sqwertz[_25_] Barbecue 2 07-11-2010 07:37 PM
Curing with Tenderquick, or nitrites and nitrates Kent Preserving 7 04-07-2006 08:29 AM
Curing with nitrites Kent Barbecue 13 03-07-2006 07:18 PM
Nitrites in meat Loki Preserving 7 19-03-2004 01:41 PM