Bob

Default Off BBQ topic - looking for recipie

Hate to post off topic, but I guess I have contributed enough in here over
the years, maybe I can get by
with it this time.

I have tried on a couple food/cooking NG's with no luck - trying to find a
recipie for bean dip similar
to that sold by Frito Lay. Since some of us in here tend to lean toward
spicy food, I thought maybe
one of you fire lovers might have a recipie.

I want to spice up the bean dip a bit more than Frito Lay. Other than
trying to add some heat to theirs,
it would be better to make my own. Any ideas? Thanks, Bob

Okay, back to the smokey black pit on the patio.

Reg

Bob wrote:

> I have tried on a couple food/cooking NG's with no luck - trying to find a
> recipie for bean dip similar
> to that sold by Frito Lay. Since some of us in here tend to lean toward
> spicy food, I thought maybe
> one of you fire lovers might have a recipie.

I haven't had frito lay bean dip in many years, but if memory
serves me right this is pretty close. Feel free to play around with
it obviously.

Chilied Red Bean Dip

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Dips Mexican
Beans Chili

2 tb Corn oil
1 Garlic clove, crushed
1 Onion, finely chopped
1 Fresh green chili, seeded,
-finely chopped
1 t Hot chili powder
1 cn Red kidney beans (15 oz)
1/2 c Shredded Cheddar cheese
Salt to taste
Thin slivers fresh red and
-green chilies
Fresh parsley sprig (opt)
Tortilla chips

Heat oil in a skillet. Add garlic, onion, green chili and chili powder and
cook gently 4 minutes.

Drain kidney beans, reserving juice. Reserve 3 tablespoons beans; process
remainder in a blender or food processor to a puree. Add to onion mixture
and stir in 2 tablespoons of reserved bean liquid; mix well.

Stir in reserved beans and cheese. Cook gently about 2 minutes, stirring
until cheese melts. Add salt and mix well. If mixture becomes too thick,
add a little more reserved bean liquid. Spoon into a serving dish and
garnish with chilies and parsley sprig, if desired. Serve warm with
tortilla chips.

Jack Smith

"Bob" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> Hate to post off topic, but I guess I have contributed enough in here over
> the years, maybe I can get by
> with it this time.
>
> I have tried on a couple food/cooking NG's with no luck - trying to find a
> recipie for bean dip similar
> to that sold by Frito Lay. Since some of us in here tend to lean

toward
> spicy food, I thought maybe
> one of you fire lovers might have a recipie.
>
> I want to spice up the bean dip a bit more than Frito Lay. Other than
> trying to add some heat to theirs,
> it would be better to make my own. Any ideas? Thanks, Bob

I can give you a method more than a recipe. I use a pressure cooker and a
bag of dried pinto beans for my dip or "refried beans".

Put a bag of dried pinto beans in your pressure cooker, rinse them well, add
water to about 2 inches over the beans and with a loose cover, bring the
beans to a boil and turn off the heat. Let the beans soak for an hour. At
this point, be sure the water level is about an inch over the top of the
beans, bring the beans up to pressure (15 lbs.) and continue cooking for 20
minutes. Remove cooker from the heat and cool with cold running water until
pressure is released. Add:
1 1/2 tsp. salt or to taste
2 to 3 tbs. bacon drippings
1/2 tsp. cumin
add cayenne pepper to taste for heat
Mash beans with a potato masher and serve with a sprinkle of grated cheese.

Jack Smith

pilgrim13

"Bob" > wrote in message link.net>...

<snip>
> I have tried on a couple food/cooking NG's with no luck - trying to find a
> recipie for bean dip similar
> to that sold by Frito Lay

Here ya go

FRITO LAY BEAN DIP

1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, drained
4 bottled jalapeno slices (nacho slices)
1 tablespoon juice from bottled jalapeno slices
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Combine drained pinto beans with the other ingredients in a food
processor. Puree ingredients on high speed until smooth. Cover and
chill for at least an hour before serving.

Cheers
Stan
pilgrim13

In looking over the recipe, one might misinterpret the
jalapeno's...That's 4 jalapeno slices from the bottle, NOT 4 bottles
of jalapeno's, although I'm sure someone out there would perhaps like
it that way.

4 bottled jalapeno slices (nacho slices)

Stan

Dan Abel

In article . net>, "Bob"
> wrote:

> I have tried on a couple food/cooking NG's with no luck - trying to find a
> recipie for bean dip similar
> to that sold by Frito Lay.

No sense in paying that kind of price for beans. I take a can of refried
beans, nuke it and add salsa to taste. If I'm feeling extravagant, I'll
grate up some cheese, add it, and nuke until it melts. Stir it up again,
and you've got some tasty dip. If your salsa is too mild, just add
Tabasco (or your favorite stuff) to taste. I often make a batch of mild
for the rest of the family, and then take some, put it in a small bowl,
and add hot stuff to suit me.

--
Dan Abel
Sonoma State University

Bob

"Bob" > wrote in message
> I have tried on a couple food/cooking NG's with no luck - trying to find a
> recipie for bean dip similar
> to that sold by Frito Lay. Since some of us in here tend to lean

toward
> spicy food, I thought maybe
> one of you fire lovers might have a recipie.

Hey everyone, Thanks much for all the recipies!!!

All look promising, and by the end of the coming week end, I will have tried
at least one.

Thanks again, Bob

On Topic post about Off Topic Posts (that no one responded to inanother thread) Tommy Joe General Cooking 40 24-09-2012 03:07 AM
Recipie for Onigiri Rebma Llocsird General Cooking 4 07-01-2010 04:51 AM
recipie Anna[_4_] General Cooking 7 12-04-2009 03:21 AM
Off Topic/On Topic: Disgusting - Monkey Meat Recipe Dee.Dee General Cooking 7 18-11-2007 06:11 PM
Need help with a pasta recipie. Bart D. Hull General Cooking 6 06-04-2005 02:45 AM