Victor & Toni Jo Friedmann

Default Turkey

Has anyone had experience slow roasting/smoking a turkey. If so, at what
temperature, how long, what is the result and how do you avoid drying out
the bird? I plan to use a Webber and rotating spit.

Thanks,

Vic

Kevin S. Wilson

On Mon, 03 Nov 2003 22:30:32 GMT, "Victor & Toni Jo Friedmann"
> wrote:

>Has anyone had experience slow roasting/smoking a turkey. If so, at what
>temperature, how long, what is the result and how do you avoid drying out
>the bird? I plan to use a Webber and rotating spit.

These instructions are for cooking a turkey on a Kamado, but you might
find something useful there (such as the stuff on brining).

http://www.webpak.net/~rescyou/turkey/turkey.htm

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a University Somewhere in Idaho
Bill

Victor & Toni Jo Friedmann wrote:

> Has anyone had experience slow roasting/smoking a turkey. If so, at what
> temperature, how long, what is the result and how do you avoid drying out
> the bird? I plan to use a Webber and rotating spit.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Vic

Check the recipe section at www.weber.com. They have a few turkey recipes at
least one of which is roticery. I have not tried them but the advice looks
good and should match your grill.

Good luck and be sure to look at Kevin's Komodo recipe. Very impressive

Bill

Jack Curry

Victor & Toni Jo Friedmann wrote:
> Has anyone had experience slow roasting/smoking a turkey. If so, at
> what temperature, how long, what is the result and how do you avoid
> drying out the bird? I plan to use a Webber and rotating spit.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Vic

I smoke chickens using Matthew L. Martin's method - temp 240° for about 5
hours until the breast reaches 165°, using cherry wood for smoke. The birds
are tender, juicy and full of smoke flavor, but the skins are rubbery and
tough (throw the skin away). If you cook a turkey at a low temp, I suggest
you take Kevin's advice and brine the bird first to help retain moisture and
speed the cooking process a bit.
Alternatively, you might try brining and then smoking the bird for a few
hours at a low temp, then kicking the temp up to 350° so the bird finishes
in less than the 8-12 hours I expect it would take at 240°. Should help the
skin, but the sacrifice will be less smoke in the meat.
Jack Curry