Bill

Default Top Sirloin

So the wife comes home and says " Here honey." and hands me
a 14 pound chunk o' cow marked "Beef Loin Top Sirloin".

Should I just slice it up for grillin', roast it, or is it
possible to barbecue it and not have it come out like jerky?

Tain't never 'Qued one of these before.

Bill
Steve Wertz

On Mon, 3 Nov 2003 00:45:59 -0800, Bill
> wrote:

> So the wife comes home and says " Here honey." and hands me
>a 14 pound chunk o' cow marked "Beef Loin Top Sirloin".
>
> Should I just slice it up for grillin', roast it, or is it
>possible to barbecue it and not have it come out like jerky?

You can Q it at around 225-240 for 7-8 hours until it reads 135
inside. Even better if you can grill it first to put some carmelized
bark on it, then lower the temp.

What you'll end up with a a nice rare slicing beef. I'm doing one
later this week since they're on sale.

-sw
Spud

"Bill" > wrote in message
> So the wife comes home and says " Here honey." and hands me
> a 14 pound chunk o' cow marked "Beef Loin Top Sirloin".
>
> Should I just slice it up for grillin', roast it, or is it
> possible to barbecue it and not have it come out like jerky?
>
> Tain't never 'Qued one of these before.
>
> Bill

If it's still in the cryovac, leave it in the fridge a couple of weeks to
age.

I just got one and plan to cut it into steaks. Yes, it's a cheap cut, but
beef is too expensive right now to be feeding the kids choice rib eyes.
Grill hot, medium rare to keep tender.

Will further slice up some of the cooked steaks into fajitas.

The smoked roast thing Steve mentions is real good too.

Steak and,
Spud

Steve Wertz

On Mon, 03 Nov 2003 04:06:39 -0600, Steve Wertz
> wrote:

>You can Q it at around 225-240 for 7-8 hours until it reads 135
>inside.

Make that 130-132 or so. A big hunk of meat like that will retain
heat for a while. I like mine pretty bloody.

-sw
pilgrim13

Bill > wrote in message m>...
> So the wife comes home and says " Here honey." and hands me
> a 14 pound chunk o' cow marked "Beef Loin Top Sirloin".
>
> Should I just slice it up for grillin', roast it, or is it
> possible to barbecue it and not have it come out like jerky?
>
> Tain't never 'Qued one of these before.
>
> Bill

The wife got from her Mom a recipe for Teriyaki merinade using Sake
which is to die for. The rule of thumb is, the cheaper the
cut-o-meat, the better. Good cuts of meat just don't suck in the
marinade at all.
What I would do with that quarter cow is to marinade the heck outta
the thing for 2 days, then grill it. Medium high/high, long enough to
crisp both sides, remember that at times, flames are a good thing,
providing you're in *control*. Then lower the heat to cook it medium
rare...of course...then cut into thin strips to do whatever you like.

Just thought I'd Q-in

Cheers
Stan
Steve Wertz

On Mon, 3 Nov 2003 15:22:24 -0800, bill
> wrote:

> Yup, still in the cryovac, from Smart and Final for $3.58 a pound.

Ouch. CostCo (in CA) usually has 'em for much cheaper. They're
$1.98/lb here in Austin this week, which is the price I used to get
them at (last year) in CA CostCo's.

-sw
Edwin Pawlowski

"Bill" > wrote in message
> So the wife comes home and says " Here honey." and hands me
> a 14 pound chunk o' cow marked "Beef Loin Top Sirloin".
>
> Should I just slice it up for grillin', roast it, or is it
> possible to barbecue it and not have it come out like jerky?
>
> Tain't never 'Qued one of these before.
>
> Bill

I like them slow roasted. Makes a great sandwich with the leftovers.
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

Kevin S. Wilson

Default Top Sirloin -Just Another Internet Wise Guy - Macon, Georgia USA

On Tue, 04 Nov 2003 10:54:33 +0000, "Another Wise Guy - Macon, GA USA"
> wrote:

>Notice how all of the flamers who claim that anything that doesn't
>involve a smoker is off-topic are OK with talking about grilling and
>slow roasting?

1. Prove that anyone ever said "anything that doesn't involve a smoke
is off-topic."

2. Then prove that this assertion was made multiple times.

3. Then prove that the people making it are the same people who flamed
you.

Only then will your delusional claims be persuasive.

Of course, you could always STFU until you have something to say that
bears a passing resemblance to reality.

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a University Somewhere in Idaho
Bill

In article <bhMpb.19462$sA6.4471
@newssvr32.news.prodigy.com>, says...

<snipocrap>

> Sorry to disappoint you, but the charter allows for grilling here. Slow
> roasting can be done on a grill or in a smoker.
> Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

Using a Weber Genesis Gold C to do most of my grillin' and
smokin' at the moment; using the smoker attatchment when I
grill and barbecue. I've had a Weber Kettle for years.

They aren't Kamados but they're gettin' the job done 'till
I can afford one, though there may be a WSM under the winter
solstice tree if I play my cards right.

Bill

Sirloin again z z General Cooking 0 26-05-2012 05:10 PM
Sirloin again pavane[_4_] General Cooking 1 25-05-2012 10:24 PM
Sirloin Tip Roast Help Joshuall General Cooking 4 28-12-2005 04:23 AM
Grilling sirloin tip? Zed Rafi General Cooking 3 04-11-2005 02:01 AM
Sirloin and Top Sirloin [email protected] General Cooking 2 13-08-2005 04:26 AM