James Emanuel

Default Maybe I should...um...boil first?

So here's the deal.

Bought a real nice corned brisket point (8#). This was the local market's
own, not packaged. They have them in a large brining vat, you ask for one,
they take it out and cut off the excess fat.

Took it home, soaked in cold water for 2 hours to leach out some of the
salt, coated in fresh cracked pepper, then 20 hours on a K7 at about 200-220
degrees, till it reached 188.

Excellent texture and moisture. Flavor great except for a fair amount of
excess saltiness. This is my second attempt using the same ingredients and
procedure, same outcome.

God, I hate to mention it on this group (yes, we all remember you
Moosemeat)........but what do you think an hour or two of simmering first
would do, in place of the soak? It is, after all, a corned beef. Would it
cut down the salt? Anyone tried this?

Jim Emanuel

Edwin Pawlowski

"James Emanuel" > wrote in message
> Bought a real nice corned brisket point (8#). This was the local market's
> own, not packaged. They have them in a large brining vat, you ask for

one,
> they take it out and cut off the excess fat.
>
> Excellent texture and moisture. Flavor great except for a fair amount of
> excess saltiness. This is my second attempt using the same ingredients

and
> procedure, same outcome.
>
> God, I hate to mention it on this group (yes, we all remember you
> Moosemeat)........but what do you think an hour or two of simmering first
> would do, in place of the soak? It is, after all, a corned beef. Would

it
> cut down the salt? Anyone tried this?

Soak it longer, maybe 12 hour or more.

Better solution is to corn your own and that way YOU control the salt. Some
is needed to cure, but often too much is added, IMO.
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

Spud

> Took it home, soaked in cold water for 2 hours to leach out some of the
> salt,

Try changing the water a couple of times. Warm water might work better than
cold. If you wanted to go overboard, on the last soak us distilled water
(osmosis I think).

Spud

Monroe, of course...

In article .net>,
"James Emanuel" > wrote:

> So here's the deal.
>
> Bought a real nice corned brisket point (8#). This was the local market's
> own, not packaged. They have them in a large brining vat, you ask for one,
> they take it out and cut off the excess fat.
>
> Took it home, soaked in cold water for 2 hours to leach out some of the
> salt, coated in fresh cracked pepper, then 20 hours on a K7 at about 200-220
> degrees, till it reached 188.
>
> Excellent texture and moisture. Flavor great except for a fair amount of
> excess saltiness. This is my second attempt using the same ingredients and
> procedure, same outcome.
>
> God, I hate to mention it on this group (yes, we all remember you
> Moosemeat)........but what do you think an hour or two of simmering first
> would do, in place of the soak? It is, after all, a corned beef. Would it
> cut down the salt? Anyone tried this?

Boiling will take out more than just the salt and render it unsmokeable
(if that's even a word). If you boil it you might as well add cabbage
and taters just like Oma used to. Nuttin wrong with that at all.
Just soak it more (at least overnite) and with multiple soak water
changes. OR corn it yerself and use less salt.

monroe(moosemeat bites!)
Condor Chef

"Monroe, of course..." > wrote in message

> Boiling will take out more than just the salt and render it unsmokeable
> (if that's even a word). If you boil it you might as well add cabbage
> and taters just like Oma used to. Nuttin wrong with that at all.
> Just soak it more (at least overnite) and with multiple soak water
> changes. OR corn it yerself and use less salt.
>
> monroe(moosemeat bites!)

Mynd you, møøse bites Kan be pretty nasti...

CC

El Capitan

In article <I4Gob.68823$B_2.4749@okepread02>,
"Condor Chef" > wrote:

> "Monroe, of course..." > wrote in message
>
> > Boiling will take out more than just the salt and render it unsmokeable
> > (if that's even a word). If you boil it you might as well add cabbage
> > and taters just like Oma used to. Nuttin wrong with that at all.
> > Just soak it more (at least overnite) and with multiple soak water
> > changes. OR corn it yerself and use less salt.
> >
> > monroe(moosemeat bites!)

> Mynd you, møøse bites Kan be pretty nasti...

We apologise for the fault in the Usenet post. Those responsible have
been sacked.

Møøses' noses wiped by BJØRN IRKESTØM-SLATER WALKER
Large møøse on the left hand side of the screen
in the third scene from the end, given a thorough
grounding in Latin, French and "O" Level
Geography by BO BENN
Suggestive poses for the Møøse suggested by VIC ROTTER
Antler-care by LIV THATCHER

We apologise again for the fault in the Usenet post. Those
responsible for sacking the people who have just been sacked
have been sacked.
Monroe, of course...

In article >, El
Capitan > wrote:

> In article <I4Gob.68823$B_2.4749@okepread02>,
> "Condor Chef" > wrote:
>
> > "Monroe, of course..." > wrote in message
> >
> > > Boiling will take out more than just the salt and render it unsmokeable
> > > (if that's even a word). If you boil it you might as well add cabbage
> > > and taters just like Oma used to. Nuttin wrong with that at all.
> > > Just soak it more (at least overnite) and with multiple soak water
> > > changes. OR corn it yerself and use less salt.
> > >
> > > monroe(moosemeat bites!)

> > Mynd you, møøse bites Kan be pretty nasti...
> >

> We apologise for the fault in the Usenet post. Those responsible have
> been sacked.
>

> Møøses' noses wiped by BJØRN IRKESTØM-SLATER WALKER
> Large møøse on the left hand side of the screen
> in the third scene from the end, given a thorough
> grounding in Latin, French and "O" Level
> Geography by BO BENN
> Suggestive poses for the Møøse suggested by VIC ROTTER
> Antler-care by LIV THATCHER
>

> We apologise again for the fault in the Usenet post. Those
> responsible for sacking the people who have just been sacked
> have been sacked.

SPOT THE LOONIES!

monroe(fig 1 the larch)