Walt Lewis

Default Why do we falme factory brined meat?

Maybe I'm asking for it but I see so many posts saying " I won't buy
so and so's pork/chicken etc because it is injected!!"

I ask because we often sing the praises of brining -- best damned
turkey I've ever made!!-- yet complain if the factory does it for us.
Sure we're paying a ton for a bit of salt, but it saves me a day of
prep.

Easy on me, please?

Walt

Kevin S. Wilson

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 13:27:17 -0500, Walt Lewis >
wrote:

>Maybe I'm asking for it but I see so many posts saying " I won't buy
>so and so's pork/chicken etc because it is injected!!"
>
>I ask because we often sing the praises of brining -- best damned
>turkey I've ever made!!-- yet complain if the factory does it for us.
>Sure we're paying a ton for a bit of salt, but it saves me a day of
>prep.

I don't like the taste or texture of injected pork and chicken. I
don't brine chickens very often, but I do brine turkeys and enjoy the
results. Finally, I don't like paying pork/chicken prices for
sal****er.

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a University Somewhere in Idaho
Larry Noah

In article >, Walt Lewis
> writes:

>Maybe I'm asking for it but I see so many posts saying " I won't buy
>so and so's pork/chicken etc because it is injected!!"
>
>I ask because we often sing the praises of brining -- best damned
>turkey I've ever made!!-- yet complain if the factory does it for us.
>Sure we're paying a ton for a bit of salt, but it saves me a day of
>prep.
>
>Easy on me, please?

Very easily . . .Some of us prefer to choose what solution is injected (or
whether it is or not). Much the same as I would rather use my own rub on a
piece of meat than buying it pre-rubbed. To each their own!

buying the meat with a 'factory rub'.
Larry Noah

Nathan Lau

Walt Lewis wrote:

> Maybe I'm asking for it but I see so many posts saying " I won't buy
> so and so's pork/chicken etc because it is injected!!"
>
> I ask because we often sing the praises of brining -- best damned
> turkey I've ever made!!-- yet complain if the factory does it for us.
> Sure we're paying a ton for a bit of salt, but it saves me a day of
> prep.

The reason we brine today is that commercially produced pork and poultry
don't have the fat (and flavor) that they used to. Commercial producers
"enhance" their meat to restore some of that flavor and save the cook
time. However, there are some legitimate health concerns.

Did a search on "injected pork" and came up with this site:

http://www.maverickranch.com/naturalpork.htm

Quoting:

"However, at Maverick we have some concerns about pumped or "injected"
pork (large manufacturers call it "enhanced"). These are the reasons for
our concerns:

1.
Injectors have needles placed about 1 inch apart. This allows the
possibility that surface bacteria are pushed and injected into the meat.
2.
Most pork plants are in the Midwest. Over 80% of Midwestern
ground water contains pesticides. This poses a good question. Are low
level pesticides being injected into the pork? This question was pointed
out to Roy Moore at Maverick by a major retailer who also serves on the
National Pork Board.
3.
Do we need added Sodium Phosphate in our diet? Health experts
don't think we need any more sodium.
4.
Nearly all ham products contain Nitrates which are preservatives
that turn ham to its pink color. In the 1950's, the FDA almost banned
Nitrates as they are very strong carcinogens (cancer causing agents).
However Nitrates also control botulism which was considered a greater
short term threat. Botulism is food poisoning that can cause food
spoilage and death in a short period of time. As a result, the FDA still
allows Nitrates."

And then there's this article:

http://www.daytondailynews.com/life/...001inject.html

Quoting:

"... That’s because those meats are increasingly being processed with
solutions of water and salt, which are absorbed and account for up to 15
percent of the weight of the product.

The treatment, done either by injection or tumbling, is labeled as an
enhancement to improve tenderness and moisture. But nutritional labeling
shows that the residual sodium in such items as a Butterball boneless,
skinless chicken breast can be as high as 540 mg in a single 4-ounce
piece — before it is cooked or further seasoned by unaware home cooks.
An untreated, raw 4-ounce chicken breast contains 73 mg sodium.

“For people with health issues, this if very detrimental,” says Michelle
Kitze, registered dietitian at Good Samaritan Hospital..."

--
Aloha,

Nathan Lau
San Jose, CA

#include <std.disclaimer>

Steve Wertz

wrote:

>Maybe I'm asking for it but I see so many posts saying " I won't buy
>so and so's pork/chicken etc because it is injected!!"
>
>I ask because we often sing the praises of brining -- best damned
>turkey I've ever made!!-- yet complain if the factory does it for us.
>Sure we're paying a ton for a bit of salt, but it saves me a day of
>prep.

I don't mind brined chicken or turkeys as long as they're reasonably
priced (Turkeys will be $.19/lb this Thanksgiving - with $25
purchase).

I've never bought any pre-brined pork so I can't comment on it.

Most people, I suspect, would prefer to brine their own with the
flavors they want rather than the chemicals that the factory uses.

-sw

Monroe, of course...

In article >, Walt Lewis
> wrote:

> Maybe I'm asking for it but I see so many posts saying " I won't buy
> so and so's pork/chicken etc because it is injected!!"
>
> I ask because we often sing the praises of brining -- best damned
> turkey I've ever made!!-- yet complain if the factory does it for us.
> Sure we're paying a ton for a bit of salt, but it saves me a day of
> prep.
>
> Easy on me, please?

The main sinners in the brined meat department are big companies. You
can buy from local vendors and small producers and get better (but not
always cheaper) meat.
The brine recipes touted here are spiced and flavored to enhance the
taste, commercial stuff ain't. Home made brine will also lack some of
the nasties the commercial goop has, unless you have erythorbate handy
in Your Kitchen.
Once a piece is initially brined, it's nearly impossible to re-brine it
with a home made better tasting brine. Brining is something you do once
- need to do it right the first time
Pork from a farm butchered hog is well worth looking for and paying
extra for.

monroe(buy local-buy small)
Jack Curry

Monroe, of course... wrote:
> In article >, Walt Lewis
> > wrote:
>
>> Maybe I'm asking for it but I see so many posts saying " I won't buy
>> so and so's pork/chicken etc because it is injected!!"
>>
>> I ask because we often sing the praises of brining -- best damned
>> turkey I've ever made!!-- yet complain if the factory does it for us.
>> Sure we're paying a ton for a bit of salt, but it saves me a day of
>> prep.
>>
>> Easy on me, please?

> The main sinners in the brined meat department are big companies. You
> can buy from local vendors and small producers and get better (but not
> always cheaper) meat.
> The brine recipes touted here are spiced and flavored to enhance the
> taste, commercial stuff ain't. Home made brine will also lack some of
> the nasties the commercial goop has, unless you have erythorbate handy
> in Your Kitchen.
> Once a piece is initially brined, it's nearly impossible to re-brine
> it with a home made better tasting brine. Brining is something you do
> once
> - need to do it right the first time
> Pork from a farm butchered hog is well worth looking for and paying
> extra for.
>
> monroe(buy local-buy small)

And taggin' on to what Monroe has offered, my one experience buying a pack
of ribs at Wallymart that had been packaged in a 12% solution of salt and
stuff was this: THEY SUCKED. They were inedible because they were so
salty. I added yellow mustard and a salt-free rub before cooking, no salt
at all and those ribs were terrible. They're also the last solution-soaked
ribs I'll ever buy.
Jack Curry
-noddin' atcha Monroe-

SCUBApix

"Walt Lewis" > wrote in message
> Maybe I'm asking for it but I see so many posts saying " I won't buy
> so and so's pork/chicken etc because it is injected!!"
>
> I ask because we often sing the praises of brining -- best damned
> turkey I've ever made!!-- yet complain if the factory does it for us.
> Sure we're paying a ton for a bit of salt, but it saves me a day of
> prep.
>
> Easy on me, please?
>
> Walt

What others have said, I agree with. But another problem with buying
pre-brined anything is the time that that piece of meat spent in a briine.
The strong brines used by packers would indicate a brinning time measured in
hours. The texture of the meat changes when over-brined. And, once brined,
you can't re-brine with a more flavorful brine.

butch burton

> "... That’s because those meats are increasingly being processed with
> solutions of water and salt, which are absorbed and account for up to 15
> percent of the weight of the product.

Only quibble I have is with the above 15%-walmart has 24% by weight of
their ham product listed as water, salt and sugar. There is enough
sugar and salt at that level to taste both. None of us need
additional sugar or salt in our diet's-if we want them-then add the
stuff. I feel the same way about rubs and chili powder-most
commercial ones are loaded with salt and sugar-really
cheap-particularly when they can sell the rubs/chili powder for $10/#.

Thank god they have not started injecting their brisket-just finished
off a brisket-never get tired of them-so many ways to prepare it for
any meal of the day. Sorry I did not start smooking sooner.
shotgun*@osbaccess.com

Actually Walt,

it is neither injected nor brined. It's TUMBLED. You'll find better
information than I can provide on that on the 'net. Commercial meat
packers can get you frozen, boneless chix breast for $3/# or 10%
solution for $2.60 / # or %20 soltion for $2.40/#, and so on, as an
example. It's more about portion control, than taste.

You can get tumbled brisket that is cooked in the bag. Not much loss
of weight, and it'l fool anyone once.

My experience with tumbled meat (Jeez I remember this from Rick
Thead's BBQ list) is that it won't smoke up well. The meat is waxen
and inedible once cooked. The poorest results I've had with tumbled
food is with tumbled sea scallops that loose half their weight in
water, just as they are cooked.

Everyone should make the sign of the cross with their 2 index fingers,
and hold it up in front of their screens.

shotgun

wrote:

>Maybe I'm asking for it but I see so many posts saying " I won't buy
>so and so's pork/chicken etc because it is injected!!"
>
>I ask because we often sing the praises of brining -- best damned
>turkey I've ever made!!-- yet complain if the factory does it for us.
>Sure we're paying a ton for a bit of salt, but it saves me a day of
>prep.
>
>Easy on me, please?
>
>Walt

>-----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----

Edwin Pawlowski

"Walt Lewis" > wrote in message

> I ask because we often sing the praises of brining -- best damned
> turkey I've ever made!!-- yet complain if the factory does it for us.

For people with sale sensitivity, it can be downright dangerous. For people
on low sodium diets, it can be harmful.

For people not restricted, it is an invasion of my right to prepare meat the
way I want it prepared.

For the uneducated, it is theft of their money as they think they are paying
for meat and they are getting water and salt.

For people that know how to cook, it is just plain insulting.
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

BOB

Edwin Pawlowski typed:
> "Walt Lewis" > wrote in message
>
>> I ask because we often sing the praises of brining -- best damned
>> turkey I've ever made!!-- yet complain if the factory does it for us.

> For people with sale sensitivity, it can be downright dangerous. For people
> on low sodium diets, it can be harmful.

That's a problem in *my* family

> For people not restricted, it is an invasion of my right to prepare meat the
> way I want it prepared.

It's practically impossible to add your own flavors to any meat that has already
been brined or injected.

> For the uneducated, it is theft of their money as they think they are paying
> for meat and they are getting water and salt.
>
> For people that know how to cook, it is just plain insulting.
> Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

Well said, Ed.

BOB

Jack Curry

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message
om...

> "Walt Lewis" > wrote in message
>
> > I ask because we often sing the praises of brining -- best damned
> > turkey I've ever made!!-- yet complain if the factory does it for us.

> For people with sale sensitivity, it can be downright dangerous. For

people
> on low sodium diets, it can be harmful.
>
> For people not restricted, it is an invasion of my right to prepare meat

the
> way I want it prepared.
>
> For the uneducated, it is theft of their money as they think they are

paying
> for meat and they are getting water and salt.
>
> For people that know how to cook, it is just plain insulting.
> Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

Right on, Ed.
Jack Curry

B.Server

wrote:

>Maybe I'm asking for it but I see so many posts saying " I won't buy
>so and so's pork/chicken etc because it is injected!!"
>
>I ask because we often sing the praises of brining -- best damned
>turkey I've ever made!!-- yet complain if the factory does it for us.
>Sure we're paying a ton for a bit of salt, but it saves me a day of
>prep.

>Walt

[...]

[1] I like to be the one who decides whether to brine and with what.
If the meat comes to me adulterated, I cannot reverse the process and
have no control over further seasoning because I don't know to what
degree it has been done.

[2] Salt, sugar, and particularly water do not cost $3-$8 per pound.
I'll pay for the meat. Let me buy my water at a few cents/hundred
gallons.

[3] It is difficult for the industrial process minded to resist
"feature creep". Today it is water, salt and sugar to "improve flavor
and texture" (and sell you water at $6/pound). Tomorrow it will be
just a tad of "mono-ethyl-awful" or "di-butyl-gloop-ti-gloop" to help
the bottom line a bit more. Since it is a matter of faith with our
current regime that all regulation is bad and the only way to do it is
to have the industry regulate itself in secret, I think that it is
best not to take the first step.

YMMV.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Nick" > wrote in message >
> Just don't buy it. Free market, search out what works best for you.
> Tell your friends and relatives, explain to the supermarket 'butcher'
> why you no longer buy what he puts out. I don't need gov't handholding...
>
> Nick H.

Many of us don't. The problem is too many people are just ignorant of what
they are buying and keep the crap alive. If it sells, the stores will stock
it. The public needs to be educated.

--
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

Harry Demidavicius

On Sun, 02 Nov 2003 20:32:35 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski" >
wrote:

>"Nick" > wrote in message >
>> Just don't buy it. Free market, search out what works best for you.
>> Tell your friends and relatives, explain to the supermarket 'butcher'
>> why you no longer buy what he puts out. I don't need gov't handholding...
>>
>> Nick H.
>>

>Many of us don't. The problem is too many people are just ignorant of what
>they are buying and keep the crap alive. If it sells, the stores will stock
>it. The public needs to be educated.

Somewhat, Ed. It's not that folks are idiots [although there's enough
of those], but if you can't afford to go elsewhere - you are stuck
with buying the "fixed" product.

Harry

factory produced meat aka "Food inc." Boomer Diabetic 8 24-05-2011 08:46 PM
Future Food - Cultured meat or vegetarian meat instead of billions of animals in industrial factory farms? Mymagic Vegan 2 09-07-2007 09:57 AM
Brined Chicken Gregory Morrow General Cooking 1 16-05-2006 06:07 PM
Brined Turkey Duckie ® Recipes 0 21-11-2005 07:21 PM
What is brined meat? Craig Busch Barbecue 6 21-06-2005 10:48 PM