DArbabi

Default Does your Foodsaver suck out the juice?

I recently did a pork picnic on my WSM. After taking it off the smoker and
letting it cool a bit, I used my Foodsaver to seal it up. When I did that, I
notice a considerable amount of meat juices were being drawn out of the picnic.

A couple days later, I unsealed the bag and tried some of the meat. It was
the driest picnic I have ever smoked.

Has anyone else noticed that the Foodsaver dehydrates whole cuts of meat?

Darius
JakBQuik

> Has anyone else noticed that the Foodsaver dehydrates whole cuts of

meat?

> Darius

Actually Darius, no, I haven't. But, as a new user to Foodsaver, I have
only done pulled pork and ribs, vacuumed, frozen and reheated. I like (with
advice from this board) to pull my pork, mix with a little rub, and vacuum
pack with a folded up paper towel btween the meat and the seal. Makes for a
perfect seal and a great reheated product. Sorry for your dry pork. It
might have been dry even if you hadn't vacuum packed it.

John in Austin

Stan (the Man)

DArbabi wrote:

> I recently did a pork picnic on my WSM. After taking it off the smoker and
> letting it cool a bit, I used my Foodsaver to seal it up. When I did that, I
> notice a considerable amount of meat juices were being drawn out of the picnic.
>

> A couple days later, I unsealed the bag and tried some of the meat. It was
> the driest picnic I have ever smoked.
>
> Has anyone else noticed that the Foodsaver dehydrates whole cuts of meat?
>
> Darius

The vacuum will pull some of the juice from unfrozen meat, but, in my
experience, not enough to dry out meat that isn't already dry. Fold up a
small piece of paper towel and lay it in the bag above the meat to
absorb the juice so it doesn't interfere with the seal.

Best way to reheat the meat, imo, is to pop the unopened bag into some
boiling water for about a half-hour. Comes out great.

--
Stan
http://www.tocquevillian.com

Jack Schidt®

"DArbabi" > wrote in message
> I recently did a pork picnic on my WSM. After taking it off the smoker

and
> letting it cool a bit, I used my Foodsaver to seal it up. When I did

that, I
> notice a considerable amount of meat juices were being drawn out of the

picnic.

> A couple days later, I unsealed the bag and tried some of the meat.

It was
> the driest picnic I have ever smoked.
>
> Has anyone else noticed that the Foodsaver dehydrates whole cuts of

meat?

Nope, never had that problem with mine. Whatever I've sealed up, meat-wise
was just as good coming out as it was going in. I think you had a bad dream
or something.

Jack

DArbabi

>> I recently did a pork picnic on my WSM. After taking it off the smoker

>and
>> letting it cool a bit, I used my Foodsaver to seal it up. When I did

>that, I
>> notice a considerable amount of meat juices were being drawn out of the

>picnic.
>>

>> A couple days later, I unsealed the bag and tried some of the meat.

>It was
>> the driest picnic I have ever smoked.
>>
>> Has anyone else noticed that the Foodsaver dehydrates whole cuts of

>meat?
>>

>Nope, never had that problem with mine. Whatever I've sealed up, meat-wise
>was just as good coming out as it was going in. I think you had a bad dream
>or something.
>
>Jack

Jack, I may indeed have had a bad dream, but I also think my pal Eric hit
the nail on the head when he suggested I probably should have let it rest
awhile longer before I vacu-bagged it.

Live and learn.

Darius

Jack Schidt®

"DArbabi" > wrote in message

> >> I recently did a pork picnic on my WSM. After taking it off the

smoker
> >and
> >> letting it cool a bit, I used my Foodsaver to seal it up. When I did

> >that, I
> >> notice a considerable amount of meat juices were being drawn out of the

> >picnic.
> >>

> >> A couple days later, I unsealed the bag and tried some of the meat.

> >It was
> >> the driest picnic I have ever smoked.
> >>
> >> Has anyone else noticed that the Foodsaver dehydrates whole cuts of

> >meat?
> >>

> >Nope, never had that problem with mine. Whatever I've sealed up,

meat-wise
> >was just as good coming out as it was going in. I think you had a bad

dream
> >or something.
> >
> >Jack
> >

> Jack, I may indeed have had a bad dream, but I also think my pal Eric

hit
> the nail on the head when he suggested I probably should have let it rest
> awhile longer before I vacu-bagged it.
>
> Live and learn.
>
> Darius

Ahhh, there's the culprit, mein amigo; I missed that in your initial post.
I bag up meat after it's been in the refrigerator overnight.

Jack

DArbabi

>smoker
>> >and
>> >that, I
>> >picnic.

>> >It was

>> >meat?
>> >>

>> >Nope, never had that problem with mine. Whatever I've sealed up,

>meat-wise
>> >was just as good coming out as it was going in. I think you had a bad

>dream
>> >or something.
>> >
>> >Jack
>> >

>> Jack, I may indeed have had a bad dream, but I also think my pal Eric

>hit
>> the nail on the head when he suggested I probably should have let it rest
>> awhile longer before I vacu-bagged it.
>>
>> Live and learn.
>>
>> Darius

>Ahhh, there's the culprit, mein amigo; I missed that in your initial post.
>I bag up meat after it's been in the refrigerator overnight.
>
>Jack

Just when you think you have your smoke methods nailed, something like this
comes along and bites you in the ass.

Boy, this BBQ stuff is fun! Always something new to learn.

Darius
Jack Schidt®

"DArbabi" > wrote in message

> Just when you think you have your smoke methods nailed, something like

this
> comes along and bites you in the ass.
>
> Boy, this BBQ stuff is fun! Always something new to learn.
>
> Darius

It would be boring otherwise. That's why some of us retard ourselves with
alcohol just to keep the edge on.

Jack

Jack Sloan

"Jack Schidt®" > wrote in message
. com...

> "DArbabi" > wrote in message
> > >

> > Just when you think you have your smoke methods nailed, something like

> this
> > comes along and bites you in the ass.
> >
> > Boy, this BBQ stuff is fun! Always something new to learn.
> >
> > Darius

> It would be boring otherwise. That's why some of us retard ourselves with
> alcohol just to keep the edge on.
>
> Jack

I believe you have just nailed it.
Jack

Spud

When I did that, I
> notice a considerable amount of meat juices were being drawn out of the

picnic.

Put in in the fridge and cool it down before sucking it. Same goes for a
cut of beef such as sirloin with a lot of fluid.

Spud

Brick

"DArbabi" > wrote in message

> >> I recently did a pork picnic on my WSM. After taking it off

the smoker
> >and
> >> letting it cool a bit, I used my Foodsaver to seal it up. When I

did
> >that, I
> >> notice a considerable amount of meat juices were being drawn out

of the
> >picnic.
> >>

> >> A couple days later, I unsealed the bag and tried some of the

meat.
> >It was
> >> the driest picnic I have ever smoked.
> >>
> >> Has anyone else noticed that the Foodsaver dehydrates whole

cuts of
> >meat?
> >>

> >Nope, never had that problem with mine. Whatever I've sealed up,

meat-wise
> >was just as good coming out as it was going in. I think you had a

bad dream
> >or something.
> >
> >Jack
> >

> Jack, I may indeed have had a bad dream, but I also think my pal

Eric hit
> the nail on the head when he suggested I probably should have let it

rest
> awhile longer before I vacu-bagged it.
>
> Live and learn.
>
> Darius

That would have been my suggestion. I often have to refrigerate my
meat for
a spell to set the juices before I vac-pak. I did some scalded
asparagus today and I
let it freeze solid in the vac bags before I pulled a vacuum on it.

Brick

Wayne Adair

DArbabi wrote:
> I recently did a pork picnic on my WSM. After taking it off the smoker and
> letting it cool a bit, I used my Foodsaver to seal it up. When I did that, I
> notice a considerable amount of meat juices were being drawn out of the picnic.
>

> A couple days later, I unsealed the bag and tried some of the meat. It was
> the driest picnic I have ever smoked.
>
> Has anyone else noticed that the Foodsaver dehydrates whole cuts of meat?
>
> Darius

If you freeze the meat (1 or 2 hours)before you seal it you do not get
the juice problem.

Wayne

Brick

"Wayne Adair" > wrote in message

> DArbabi wrote:
> > I recently did a pork picnic on my WSM. After taking it off

the smoker and
> > letting it cool a bit, I used my Foodsaver to seal it up. When I

did that, I
> > notice a considerable amount of meat juices were being drawn out

of the picnic.

> > A couple days later, I unsealed the bag and tried some of the

meat. It was
> > the driest picnic I have ever smoked.
> >
> > Has anyone else noticed that the Foodsaver dehydrates whole

cuts of meat?

> > Darius

> If you freeze the meat (1 or 2 hours)before you seal it you do not

get
> the juice problem.
>
> Wayne

I habitually prefreeze anything moist to protect both the product and
the VAC machine.
I just place the product in an unsealed vac bag in the freezer until
solidified.

Brick

Edwin Groetsema

The same goes for uncooked fish. First freeze the fish til firm, then seal
the fish in the bag. Using a dry rub or sauce on fresh meat and sealing in
a bag cuts down on the time for preparing meats.