TreeHugger

Default "Slaughter houses should be..."

"Slaughter houses should be in restaurants and grocery stores. They
should have a glass wall so people must see the animals and choose.
Look into the animal's eyes and say, 'OK, slit HIS throat.'" -- Ingrid
Newkirk

TreeHugger wrote:

> "Slaughter houses should be in restaurants and grocery stores. They
> should have a glass wall so people must see the animals and choose.
> Look into the animal's eyes and say, 'OK, slit HIS throat.'" -- Ingrid
> Newkirk

Hey, finally something I agree with. Used to work summers on a kill
floor. Gave me a great deal of respect for meat. I let a lot of veggies go

to waste but when I have to toss some meat I go ballistic. Something
had to die for that, and there's no need to waste it.
I also feel that if kids are exposed to where food really comes from
(hunting, fishing, slaughter houses, etc.) We wouldn't have so many
vegan freaks out there. It would just be a part of life, not some abstract
idea
tossed into there heads, and if they chose not to eat meat it would have
some valid basis. Not the feely good crap you have out there now.
If you believe in evolution we are all part of the food chain, and I see
no reason not to participate in it to the best of my abilities. We didn't
get to
the top of it chewing cud.
Dave

And a brief message for Treehugger, you are making off topic
posts to this group. If you don't stop I'm going outside and
start killing the neighbor's cats.

Ben Snyder

"TreeHugger" > wrote in message
om...
> "Slaughter houses should be in restaurants and grocery stores. They
> should have a glass wall so people must see the animals and choose.
> Look into the animal's eyes and say, 'OK, slit HIS throat.'" -- Ingrid
> Newkirk

Well, did you ever buy a lobster? In a grocery store, fish market or
restaurant? Same thing, except you get to look into their eyes and say,
"OK, boil HIM alive"
Does this stop people from eating lobster? Nope.

I wouldn't be able to go to a restaurant and pick out a steer to be killed
just for me though. I mean, that's just wrong. Beef's gotta be aged, can't
just plug 'em and cook 'em.

Really though, this would be a great idea because people would probably
waste less food and have an understanding and respect for where their food
really comes from.

bonedaddy

"TreeHugger" > wrote in message
om...
> "Slaughter houses should be in restaurants and grocery stores. They
> should have a glass wall so people must see the animals and choose.
> Look into the animal's eyes and say, 'OK, slit HIS throat.'" -- Ingrid
> Newkirk

I think there are some trees you need to be hugging in California about
right now. Maybe the moisture content of you body will help quench the
fires.

Nathan Lau

TreeHugger wrote:

"I am just another moniker for IBSinger. Please killfile me again."

<plonk>

--
Aloha,

Nathan Lau
San Jose, CA

#include <std.disclaimer>

Ol' Hippie

I am reminded of how the native Americans survived and hunted.....
They gave a prayer to whomever at the butchering of their kill, to show
thanks & respect for the animal they just killed for food.
Bruce-n-Gold Beach

Edwin Pawlowski

"TreeHugger" > wrote in message
om...
> "Slaughter houses should be in restaurants and grocery stores. They
> should have a glass wall so people must see the animals and choose.
> Look into the animal's eyes and say, 'OK, slit HIS throat.'" -- Ingrid
> Newkirk

I guess you've never been to the Italian market on 9th Street in Philly. It
may have changed but even ten years ago, you did exactly that. Pick out a
rabbit or chicken and they'd kill and dress it right there. Gosh, I miss
that fresh meat.

Here in CT we have a combo slaughterhouse and store. You can take your own
animals or buy theirs.

Sorry to disappoint you Ingrid, but your idea is not new at all. Shop
around and you too can get the fresh meats.
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

DL

On 27 Oct 2003 06:32:57 -0800, (TreeHugger)
wrote:

>"Slaughter houses should be in restaurants and grocery stores. They
>should have a glass wall so people must see the animals and choose.
>Look into the animal's eyes and say, 'OK, slit HIS throat.'" -- Ingrid
>Newkirk

Ummm. Fresh.

- -

DL

http://www.geocities.com/dicklong14_ca/fanclub.htm

>> Evidently your buddy Cedeño is a *******.
>>

>First of all, Cedeño is not my buddy.

::::::::::::::::

"Ahh, job hunt. Had an interview this week and all
I learned is this: Despite its name,
the company "Johnson Controls" does not manufacture condoms."
- Anonymous

::::::::::::::::

Halter Sucks!

Jack Sloan

"TreeHugger" > wrote in message
om...
> "Slaughter houses should be in restaurants and grocery stores. They
> should have a glass wall so people must see the animals and choose.
> Look into the animal's eyes and say, 'OK, slit HIS throat.'" -- Ingrid
> Newkirk

I may never look an ear of corn in the eye again after hearing their
terrified sceams while pulling them from the stalk.
Jack

Chris/Power Salad

On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 20:40:28 -0600, "Jack Sloan" >
wrote:
>I may never look an ear of corn in the eye again after hearing their
>terrified sceams while pulling them from the stalk.
>Jack

See also "Carrot Juice Is Murder" by comedy music group The Arrogant
Worms, a big hit on the Dr Demento radio show. Very funny song.

Chris/Power Salad
just picked up my Angus half last week......oh baby - brisket in my
near future....

april-g

Ben Snyder wrote:

> "TreeHugger" > wrote in message
> om...
> > "Slaughter houses should be in restaurants and grocery stores. They
> > should have a glass wall so people must see the animals and choose.
> > Look into the animal's eyes and say, 'OK, slit HIS throat.'" -- Ingrid
> > Newkirk

> Well, did you ever buy a lobster? In a grocery store, fish market or
> restaurant? Same thing, except you get to look into their eyes and say,
> "OK, boil HIM alive" Does this stop people from eating lobster? Nope.

Actually, I lived in Mexico for 7 years (in the days before NAFTA). We used to
go to the market and buy chicken the following way:

Look at the pens with live chickens in them.
Tell the woman, "OK -- I want THAT chicken"
They slaughtered the chicken, plucked it and bagged it for you.

The truth of the matter is that generations of people grew up slaughtering and
butchering their own meat and I would venture to guess that very few of them
became vegetarians.......

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 02:24:46 GMT, april-g > wrote:

>The truth of the matter is that generations of people grew up slaughtering and
>butchering their own meat and I would venture to guess that very few of them
>became vegetarians.......

I'd also be willing to wager that the kind of violence seen today
(especially among teens, etc.) was less common...almost every meal you
saw first hand what it was to kill. Takes the glamour out of it.

Bob

Brick

wrote:

> >The truth of the matter is that generations of people grew up

slaughtering and
> >butchering their own meat and I would venture to guess that very

few of them
> >became vegetarians.......
> >

> I'd also be willing to wager that the kind of violence seen today
> (especially among teens, etc.) was less common...almost every meal

you
> saw first hand what it was to kill. Takes the glamour out of it.
>
> Bob

What Bob and April said. As a child I got farmed out a lot to
grandparents
and a great aunt. My great aunt raised poultry and baked what have
you for
the farmer's market. I couldn't count the number of ducks, geese,
turkeys and
chickens that I helped her prepare for market. None of them was
'Bambi'.
Later in my teens, we grew hogs and beef. We killed and butchered our
own.
Sometimes we had too many cats. Well that had to be dealt with. But we
always
ate good. Aint't no glamour. You're either hungry or you're not. Wait
'til you're
starving. Your attitude will adjust.

Brick

"Brick" > wrote:
> > wrote in message
> [ . . . ]
> > I'd also be willing to wager that the kind of violence seen today
> > (especially among teens, etc.) was less common...almost every meal
> > you saw first hand what it was to kill. Takes the glamour out of it.
> >

> [] I couldn't count the number of ducks, geese, turkeys and
> chickens that I helped her prepare for market. None of them was
> 'Bambi'.

Same with me. I love meat, but I always pause briefly and remember that
a life was taken for my nourishment and pleasure. That, and my training as
a kid during WW II, makes it impossible for me to not eat all the meat on
my plate and fridge/freeze the leftovers. When I'm over at my friend's
house, having char-grilled venison, he invariably looks up, smiles and
says, "I killed Bambi!" She didn't die in vain. ;~)

> [] Wait 'til you're starving. Your attitude will adjust.

Been there, done that. Marmot stew, seagull soup, Dr. Ross'.
My turn to say, "Amen to that."

--
Nick, Retired in the San Fernando Valley www.boonchoo.com
"Giving violent criminals a government guarantee that their intended
Harry in Iowa

held forth in
:

> "Brick" > wrote:
>> > wrote in message
>> [ . . . ]
>> > I'd also be willing to wager that the kind of violence seen today
>> > (especially among teens, etc.) was less common...almost every meal
>> > you saw first hand what it was to kill. Takes the glamour out of
>> > it.
>> >

>> [] I couldn't count the number of ducks, geese, turkeys and
>> chickens that I helped her prepare for market. None of them was
>> 'Bambi'.

> Same with me. I love meat, but I always pause briefly and remember
> that a life was taken for my nourishment and pleasure. That, and my
> training as a kid during WW II, makes it impossible for me to not eat
> all the meat on my plate and fridge/freeze the leftovers. When I'm
> over at my friend's house, having char-grilled venison, he invariably
> looks up, smiles and says, "I killed Bambi!" She didn't die in vain.
> ;~)
>
>> [] Wait 'til you're starving. Your attitude will adjust.
>>

> Been there, done that. Marmot stew, seagull soup, Dr. Ross'.
> My turn to say, "Amen to that."

Just killed a hog for a family reunion a couple of weeks ago. Shot it,
stuck it, scalded it, shaved it, gutted it, roasted it, ate it. I enjoyed
the opportunity to remind my family that meat does not come from the
grocery store.

I'm a butcher, a baker, don't need no candles, we gots flashlights!

Harry in Iowa

--
'Its just NOTSO if you feel the need to contact me'
Steve Calvin

Wingman wrote:

<snip>
> I breed 'em, birth 'em, raise 'em and decide which ones will go to the
> pasture or the freezer. Anyone who would be moved by TreeHugger's
> comment is too stupid to understand where hamburger comes from in the
> first place.
>
> If man had the capability to process cellulose into protein we would
> not need to eat cows just grass. Until then make mine medium rare.

Yup, totally agree. I heard a saying that I like once...
"There's room for all of Gods creatures. Right beside the mashed
potatoes."

--
Steve

If you look like your passport picture, you probably need the trip.

Kevin S. Wilson

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 15:00:21 -0500, Steve Calvin
> wrote:

>Wingman wrote:
>
><snip>
>> I breed 'em, birth 'em, raise 'em and decide which ones will go to the
>> pasture or the freezer. Anyone who would be moved by TreeHugger's
>> comment is too stupid to understand where hamburger comes from in the
>> first place.
>>
>> If man had the capability to process cellulose into protein we would
>> not need to eat cows just grass. Until then make mine medium rare.

>Yup, totally agree. I heard a saying that I like once...
>"There's room for all of Gods creatures. Right beside the mashed
>potatoes."

I've suggested before that the following link be our standard response
to vegetarian bozos posting flame-bait he

http://www.webpak.net/~rescyou/bbq/godscreatures.jpg

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a University Somewhere in Idaho
Steve Calvin

Kevin S. Wilson wrote:
<snip>

> I've suggested before that the following link be our standard response
> to vegetarian bozos posting flame-bait he
>
> http://www.webpak.net/~rescyou/bbq/godscreatures.jpg

Maybe that's where the guy to said it to me saw it!

Kevin S. Wilson > wrote:
> []
> I've suggested before that the following link be our standard response
> to vegetarian bozos posting flame-bait he
>
> http://www.webpak.net/~rescyou/bbq/godscreatures.jpg

Outstanding, Dr. W !

--
Nick, Retired in the San Fernando Valley www.boonchoo.com
"Giving violent criminals a government guarantee that their intended
victims are defenseless is bad public policy."
- John Ross, "Unintended Consequences"
The Fat Man®

TreeHugger wrote:
> "Slaughter houses should be in restaurants and grocery stores. They
> should have a glass wall so people must see the animals and choose.
> Look into the animal's eyes and say, 'OK, slit HIS throat.'" -- Ingrid
> Newkirk

Hell yeah! Great idea.

TFM®

Larry Noah

In article > , "The Fat Man®"
> writes:

>TreeHugger wrote:
>> "Slaughter houses should be in restaurants and grocery stores. They
>> should have a glass wall so people must see the animals and choose.
>> Look into the animal's eyes and say, 'OK, slit HIS throat.'" -- Ingrid
>> Newkirk

>Hell yeah! Great idea.
>
>TFM®

OTOH, there should be a video of when the Jolly Green Giant 'peas' in the
valley.

Larry Noah

Violent kosher slaughter practices. [email protected] General Cooking 0 31-08-2008 12:00 AM
Petition to ban barbaric kosher slaughter in USA [email protected] General Cooking 2 23-08-2008 08:49 PM
Chicago Tea Houses Tyler Tea 11 09-11-2004 10:30 PM
bird houses M O Winemaking 0 29-07-2004 07:44 PM
Australia to slaughter 350 imported U.S. Cows The Wolf General Cooking 4 04-01-2004 05:05 PM