Matt Marziale

Default BBQ in an apartment

I'm living in an apartment at the moment and want to get into smoking.
The problem is the only place to set up a smoker is on my apartment's
wooden balcony. I have been thinking about the Weber Smokey Mountain,
but it doesn't seem like the best idea to use charcoal on my balcony. Do
any of you use a charcoal without a problem? Also, what electric smoker
in the $200 or less range would be a suitable replacement? Thanks in
advance!

---
Matt Marziale

zxcvbob

Matt Marziale wrote:
> I'm living in an apartment at the moment and want to get into smoking.
> The problem is the only place to set up a smoker is on my apartment's
> wooden balcony. I have been thinking about the Weber Smokey Mountain,
> but it doesn't seem like the best idea to use charcoal on my balcony. Do
> any of you use a charcoal without a problem? Also, what electric smoker
> in the $200 or less range would be a suitable replacement? Thanks in
> advance!
>
> ---
> Matt Marziale

Years ago when I lived in an apartment, I built a smoker out of a metal
garbage can. I used an old iron skillet in the bottom sitting on a brick
for a firebox. About halfway up the can, I put a metal grill from a Weber
kettle. And I drilled a couple of holes in the side near the bottom for
air to get it. I burned a small handful of charcoal and a usually a lump
of hickory and some oak sawdust. The draft was controled how loosely the
lid was set on top. I smoked some fine sausage in that smoker, and I
sometimes cooked a big beef or pork roast in a pressure cooker until it was
just done and finished it in the smoker.

It was fun to invite folks over for supper and see the look on their faces
when I took the meat out of a smoldering trash can. ;-)

Best regards,
Bob

OhJeeez

sounds like an accident waiting to happen...
barry

I manage to get some BBQ done on a fire escape, and it isn't too much of a
problem. (It helps that I'm the owner's representative -- no complaints,
eh.) If your balcony is wood, you might either set the device on a metal
table or put a couple of layers of fire bricks under it or both. In any
case, put some foil under the device to catch any ash or liquid that spills
out.

Be sure to check the wind direction and have some water on hand, just in
case.

I'm sure the more experienced posters here have better solutions, but this
works for me.

Barry

"Matt Marziale" > wrote in message
s.com...
> I'm living in an apartment at the moment and want to get into smoking.
> The problem is the only place to set up a smoker is on my apartment's
> wooden balcony. I have been thinking about the Weber Smokey Mountain,
> but it doesn't seem like the best idea to use charcoal on my balcony. Do
> any of you use a charcoal without a problem? Also, what electric smoker
> in the $200 or less range would be a suitable replacement? Thanks in
> advance!
>
> ---
> Matt Marziale

Louis Cohen

ECB with electric conversion, or an all-electric ECB. Smoke'N Grill
Electric Double-Grill Smoker & Grill

http://www.thebrinkmanncorp.com/acb/...ID=177&CATID=6

--

Regards

Louis Cohen
Living la vida loca at N37° 43' 7.9" W122° 8' 42.8"

"Matt Marziale" > wrote in message
s.com...
> I'm living in an apartment at the moment and want to get into smoking.
> The problem is the only place to set up a smoker is on my apartment's
> wooden balcony. I have been thinking about the Weber Smokey Mountain,
> but it doesn't seem like the best idea to use charcoal on my balcony. Do
> any of you use a charcoal without a problem? Also, what electric smoker
> in the $200 or less range would be a suitable replacement? Thanks in
> advance!
>
> ---
> Matt Marziale

Steve Wertz

On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 21:22:59 GMT, Matt Marziale
> wrote:

>I'm living in an apartment at the moment and want to get into smoking.
>The problem is the only place to set up a smoker is on my apartment's
>wooden balcony. I have been thinking about the Weber Smokey Mountain,
>but it doesn't seem like the best idea to use charcoal on my balcony. Do
>any of you use a charcoal without a problem? Also, what electric smoker
>in the $200 or less range would be a suitable replacement? Thanks in
>advance!

Just take simple precautions and you can use a smoker (WSM or ECB)
just fine on a wooden balcony. Heck - I even put down cardboard under
mine to catch drips and the cardboard isn't even phased by the heat.

Note that soe states/cities/apartment complexes have laws/rules
regarding BBQs and grills, but that didn't stop me either.

-sw
Kevin S. Wilson

On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 21:22:59 GMT, Matt Marziale
> wrote:

>I'm living in an apartment at the moment and want to get into smoking.
>The problem is the only place to set up a smoker is on my apartment's
>wooden balcony. I have been thinking about the Weber Smokey Mountain,
>but it doesn't seem like the best idea to use charcoal on my balcony. Do
>any of you use a charcoal without a problem? Also, what electric smoker
>in the $200 or less range would be a suitable replacement? Thanks in
>advance!

How would you feel if the guy above you decided to cook with charcoal?

Get an electric smoker.

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a University Somewhere in Idaho
JoeMcc

> Years ago when I lived in an apartment, I built a smoker out of a metal
> garbage can. > Best regards,
> Bob

Galvanized????

JoeMcc

Jack Curry

Matt Marziale wrote:
> I'm living in an apartment at the moment and want to get into smoking.
> The problem is the only place to set up a smoker is on my apartment's
> wooden balcony. I have been thinking about the Weber Smokey Mountain,
> but it doesn't seem like the best idea to use charcoal on my balcony.
> Do any of you use a charcoal without a problem? Also, what electric
> smoker in the $200 or less range would be a suitable replacement?
> Thanks in advance!
>
> ---
> Matt Marziale

Aside from the potential for fire, I have to wonder how your neighbors will
feel about the smoke you'll generate. Could be a problem...
Jack Curry

Barry

Call the fire dept. ask them how they feel about this.

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> Matt Marziale wrote:
> > I'm living in an apartment at the moment and want to get into smoking.
> > The problem is the only place to set up a smoker is on my apartment's
> > wooden balcony. I have been thinking about the Weber Smokey Mountain,
> > but it doesn't seem like the best idea to use charcoal on my balcony. Do
> > any of you use a charcoal without a problem? Also, what electric smoker
> > in the $200 or less range would be a suitable replacement? Thanks in
> > advance!
> >
> > ---
> > Matt Marziale
> >

> Years ago when I lived in an apartment, I built a smoker out of a metal
> garbage can. I used an old iron skillet in the bottom sitting on a brick
> for a firebox. About halfway up the can, I put a metal grill from a Weber
> kettle. And I drilled a couple of holes in the side near the bottom for
> air to get it. I burned a small handful of charcoal and a usually a lump
> of hickory and some oak sawdust. The draft was controled how loosely the
> lid was set on top. I smoked some fine sausage in that smoker, and I
> sometimes cooked a big beef or pork roast in a pressure cooker until it

was
> just done and finished it in the smoker.
>
> It was fun to invite folks over for supper and see the look on their faces
> when I took the meat out of a smoldering trash can. ;-)
>
> Best regards,
> Bob

Matt Marziale

Jack Curry wrote:
> Matt Marziale wrote:
>
>>I'm living in an apartment at the moment and want to get into smoking.
>>The problem is the only place to set up a smoker is on my apartment's
>>wooden balcony. I have been thinking about the Weber Smokey Mountain,
>>but it doesn't seem like the best idea to use charcoal on my balcony.
>>Do any of you use a charcoal without a problem? Also, what electric
>>smoker in the $200 or less range would be a suitable replacement?
>>Thanks in advance!
>>
>>---
>>Matt Marziale

> Aside from the potential for fire, I have to wonder how your neighbors will
> feel about the smoke you'll generate. Could be a problem...
> Jack Curry

How smokey is a charcoal smoker in comparison to an electric? My closest
neighbors are about 30 feet away. Do you think it would be a problem at
that distance? Thanks

---
Matt Marziale

Jack Curry

"Matt Marziale" > wrote in message
s.com...
> Jack Curry wrote:
> > Matt Marziale wrote:
> >
> >>I'm living in an apartment at the moment and want to get into smoking.
> >>The problem is the only place to set up a smoker is on my apartment's
> >>wooden balcony. I have been thinking about the Weber Smokey Mountain,
> >>but it doesn't seem like the best idea to use charcoal on my balcony.
> >>Do any of you use a charcoal without a problem? Also, what electric
> >>smoker in the $200 or less range would be a suitable replacement?
> >>Thanks in advance!
> >>
> >>---
> >>Matt Marziale
>

> > Aside from the potential for fire, I have to wonder how your neighbors

will
> > feel about the smoke you'll generate. Could be a problem...
> > Jack Curry
> >

> How smokey is a charcoal smoker in comparison to an electric? My closest
> neighbors are about 30 feet away. Do you think it would be a problem at
> that distance? Thanks
>
> ---
> Matt Marziale

Matt,
If you want to smoke food, you have to make smoke. An electric smoker does
this by heating chunks of wood until they smolder. A charcoal smoker
requires the addition of wood chunks to get the requisite amount of smoke.
Big billowing clouds of smoke aren't necessary or even desirable, but a thin
blue smoke coming out of your smoker is what you need.. Big question is,
"Do you get along with your neighbors?" If you offered them some good
barbecue, could be that everybody will be happy.
Jack Curry

zxcvbob

JoeMcc wrote:
>>Years ago when I lived in an apartment, I built a smoker out of a metal
>>garbage can. > Best regards,
>>Bob

> Galvanized????
>
> JoeMcc

Yes. It doesn't get very hot; less than 200 degrees.

I used it to smoke sausage, make jerky, and to smoke (and dry out a little)
already-cooked meat. A large beef chuck roast or a pork butt, pressure
cooked and then smoked, looked and tasted *almost* just like real barbecue
except it did not have a proper "bark" nor smoke ring.

Best regards,
Bob

Barry

"Matt Marziale" > wrote in message
s.com...
> Jack Curry wrote:
> > Matt Marziale wrote:
> >
> >>I'm living in an apartment at the moment and want to get into smoking.
> >>The problem is the only place to set up a smoker is on my apartment's
> >>wooden balcony. I have been thinking about the Weber Smokey Mountain,
> >>but it doesn't seem like the best idea to use charcoal on my balcony.
> >>Do any of you use a charcoal without a problem? Also, what electric
> >>smoker in the $200 or less range would be a suitable replacement?
> >>Thanks in advance!
> >>
> >>---
> >>Matt Marziale
>

> > Aside from the potential for fire, I have to wonder how your neighbors

will
> > feel about the smoke you'll generate. Could be a problem...
> > Jack Curry
> >

> How smokey is a charcoal smoker in comparison to an electric? My closest
> neighbors are about 30 feet away. Do you think it would be a problem at
> that distance? Thanks
>
> ---
> Matt Marziale

My next door neighbors have called to see if my food was done yet.
They live about 60' from my smoker and yes, smoke does get in theeir eyes.

BOB

Barry typed:
> "Matt Marziale" wrote ...
>> Jack Curry wrote:

>>> Aside from the potential for fire, I have to wonder how your neighbors

will
>>> feel about the smoke you'll generate. Could be a problem...
>>> Jack Curry
>>>

>> How smokey is a charcoal smoker in comparison to an electric? My closest
>> neighbors are about 30 feet away. Do you think it would be a problem at
>> that distance? Thanks
>>
>> ---
>> Matt Marziale
>>

> My next door neighbors have called to see if my food was done yet.
> They live about 60' from my smoker and yes, smoke does get in theeir eyes.

My neighbors complained about the smoke only once...since I told them to
bring their plates and come on over, I just make sure I cook enouigh every
time I light the grill. No complaints.

BOB

Barry

Same method has worked here as well.