The Fat Man®

Default We've lost a friend

Cuchulain's daughter called me this afternoon and informed me that he'd
passed away yesterday morning.

Cause of death is unknown as of yet. When I last talked to him he told me
his morning **** looked like coca-cola.

Another Texas legend is gone. I'll miss him greatly, and I'm sure y'all
will too.

[Glass raised] Here's to you Hound! You touched us all. I'm proud to have
been your friend.

TFM®

Ol' Hippie

TFM3 this glass is raised in honor of Hound and heartfelt prayers and love
to his family. To all in here that really knew him I wish I had found this
place a long time ago.
Bruce-n-Gold Beach

DArbabi

TFM,

Do you have an address where we might send a condolence card?

I am so sorry to hear of Cuch's passing.
Godspeed!

Darius
Thomas Mooney

The Fat Man® > wrote in message
m...
> Cuchulain's daughter called me this afternoon and informed me that he'd
> passed away yesterday morning.
>
> Cause of death is unknown as of yet. When I last talked to him he told me
> his morning **** looked like coca-cola.
>
> Another Texas legend is gone. I'll miss him greatly, and I'm sure y'all
> will too.
>
> [Glass raised] Here's to you Hound! You touched us all. I'm proud to

have
> been your friend.

A terrible loss. I've only hung out here a short while, but he was
obviously one of the best of the bunch. Patient with us newbies, willing to
share with everyone. It's a sad day indeed.

Here's to ya, Hound.

--
TFM3

Note: Spam-resistant e-mail address

Wally Bedford

Lots of my saved posts (which is pretty much the sum of my BBQ
ability) have Cuchulain's name on it. Google down those posts, oh
eager newbies... skill and humour will be there with his name.

I stand, look South, and bow politely.

Wally

"No one has ever had an idea in a dress suit."
Sir Frederick G. Banting

bbq

The Fat Man® wrote:
> Cuchulain's daughter called me this afternoon and informed me that he'd
> passed away yesterday morning.
>
> Cause of death is unknown as of yet. When I last talked to him he told me
> his morning **** looked like coca-cola.
>
> Another Texas legend is gone. I'll miss him greatly, and I'm sure y'all
> will too.
>
> [Glass raised] Here's to you Hound! You touched us all. I'm proud to have
> been your friend.
>

> TFM®

Thanks for the news. Though I didn't know him well, I knew him well
enough to know that he is one of the Masters of Q'en.

Hound, when you reach the gates of heaven make sure you let them know
that you are a Master of Barbecue, so that you can have all the rights
and privileges you deserve.

My condolences to all his family and friends.

BBQ

Ricky

"The Fat Man®" > wrote in message
m...
> Cuchulain's daughter called me this afternoon and informed me that he'd
> passed away yesterday morning.
>
> Cause of death is unknown as of yet. When I last talked to him he told me
> his morning **** looked like coca-cola.
>
> Another Texas legend is gone. I'll miss him greatly, and I'm sure y'all
> will too.
>
> [Glass raised] Here's to you Hound! You touched us all. I'm proud to

have
> been your friend.
>

> TFM®

A sad day and a loss for all.
Hope you had some 'q for your last meal Hound!

Do you know how old he was?

Ricky

Steve Wertz

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 23:21:41 GMT, "The Fat Man®"
> wrote:

>Cuchulain's daughter called me this afternoon and informed me that he'd
>passed away yesterday morning.
>
>Cause of death is unknown as of yet. When I last talked to him he told me
>his morning **** looked like coca-cola.
>
>Another Texas legend is gone. I'll miss him greatly, and I'm sure y'all
>will too.
>
>[Glass raised] Here's to you Hound! You touched us all. I'm proud to have
>been your friend.

I'm speechless. That's two good guys, both in San Antonio, in the
last few weeks. WTF is going on?

-sw

Jack Curry

The Fat Man® wrote:
> Cuchulain's daughter called me this afternoon and informed me that
> he'd passed away yesterday morning.
>
> Cause of death is unknown as of yet. When I last talked to him he
> told me his morning **** looked like coca-cola.
>
> Another Texas legend is gone. I'll miss him greatly, and I'm sure
> y'all will too.
>
> [Glass raised] Here's to you Hound! You touched us all. I'm proud
> to have been your friend.
>

> TFM®

Unfailingly helpful to the uninitiated.
Respectful of and appreciative of intelligence in others.
Master of an art.
Farewell, Hound.
Jack Curry

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 23:21:41 GMT, "The Fat Man®"
> wrote:

>Cuchulain's daughter called me this afternoon and informed me that he'd
>passed away yesterday morning.
>
>Cause of death is unknown as of yet. When I last talked to him he told me
>his morning **** looked like coca-cola.
>
>Another Texas legend is gone. I'll miss him greatly, and I'm sure y'all
>will too.
>
>[Glass raised] Here's to you Hound! You touched us all. I'm proud to have
>been your friend.

I'm deeply saddened to hear of Hound's passing. I'll miss him and his
wisdom. My regret is that I never had a chance to meet him face to
face.

Bob

George B. Ross

) opined:

> On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 23:21:41 GMT, "The Fat Man®"
> wrote:
>
>>Cuchulain's daughter called me this afternoon and informed
>>me that he'd passed away yesterday morning.
>>
>>Cause of death is unknown as of yet. When I last talked to
>>him he told me his morning **** looked like coca-cola.
>>
>>Another Texas legend is gone. I'll miss him greatly, and
>>I'm sure y'all will too.
>>
>>[Glass raised] Here's to you Hound! You touched us all.
>>I'm proud to have been your friend.
>>

> I'm deeply saddened to hear of Hound's passing. I'll miss
> him and his wisdom. My regret is that I never had a chance
> to meet him face to face.
>
> Bob

I couldn't say it any better.

--
George B. Ross is
remove the obvious bit for email
thopper

"The Fat Man®" > wrote in message
m...
> Cuchulain's daughter called me this afternoon and informed me that he'd
> passed away yesterday morning.
>
> Cause of death is unknown as of yet. When I last talked to him he told me
> his morning **** looked like coca-cola.
>
> Another Texas legend is gone. I'll miss him greatly, and I'm sure y'all
> will too.
>
> [Glass raised] Here's to you Hound! You touched us all. I'm proud to

have
> been your friend.
>

> TFM®

TFM,

I live not to far from his family. I will try to get info as it comes.

If anyone wishes to send condolences to Blaise and the kids, feel free to
email them to me. I will gladly print and hand deliver them.

_________
ht_redneck

The Fat Man®

thopper wrote:
> "The Fat Man®" > wrote in message
> m...
>> Cuchulain's daughter called me this afternoon and informed me that
>> he'd passed away yesterday morning.
>>
>> Cause of death is unknown as of yet. When I last talked to him he
>> told me his morning **** looked like coca-cola.
>>
>> Another Texas legend is gone. I'll miss him greatly, and I'm sure
>> y'all will too.
>>
>> [Glass raised] Here's to you Hound! You touched us all. I'm proud
>> to have been your friend.
>>

>> TFM®

> TFM,
>
> I live not to far from his family. I will try to get info as it comes.
>
> If anyone wishes to send condolences to Blaise and the kids, feel
> free to email them to me. I will gladly print and hand deliver them.

If any of you wish to send condolences through the snail mail, email me and
I will give you his address.

TFM®

Jim

>"The Fat Man®" wrote:

>Cuchulain's daughter called me this afternoon and informed me that he'd
>passed away yesterday morning.

Damn. This is sad news.
I never met Cuch, but I enjoyed his posts, and appreciated his willingness to
share his knowledge and experience. This group, and the world will be poorer
for this loss.
I will be Q'ing and hoisting a few tomorrow in his honor.
Farewell and godspeed, Hound, you will be sorely missed.

Jim
Frank Mancuso

That just sucks. I never even got to meet him.
That sucks.

Archbishop of Cedar Creek

"The Fat Man®" > wrote in message
m...
> Cuchulain's daughter called me this afternoon and informed me that he'd
> passed away yesterday morning.
>
> Cause of death is unknown as of yet. When I last talked to him he told me
> his morning **** looked like coca-cola.
>
> Another Texas legend is gone. I'll miss him greatly, and I'm sure y'all
> will too.
>
> [Glass raised] Here's to you Hound! You touched us all. I'm proud to

have
> been your friend.
>

> TFM®

Sonofabitch. And I never got to meet him, either. Actually, I stumbled
across one of his posts on a google search, and that's what brought me here.
Now I wish I'd told him that. Might'a made him laugh.
Now I'm gonna go have a shot of Maker's Mark in his memory.

James

Pierre

"The Fat Man®" > wrote in message om>...
> Cuchulain's daughter called me this afternoon and informed me that he'd
> passed away yesterday morning.
>
> Cause of death is unknown as of yet. When I last talked to him he told me
> his morning **** looked like coca-cola.
>
> Another Texas legend is gone. I'll miss him greatly, and I'm sure y'all
> will too.
>
> [Glass raised] Here's to you Hound! You touched us all. I'm proud to have
> been your friend.
>

> TFM®

Big sigh. Long face. And a now empty spot that he once occupied. A
class act with a quick wit. I'm glad to have learned from him. To
you, Cuch.
JakBQuik

> [Glass raised] Here's to you Hound! You touched us all. I'm proud to

have
> been your friend.

Well, if that's not the saddest thing I've heard in a long time. The
Hound's posts were always filled with gentle humor and priceless advice. I
talked to him on the telephone about a month ago about meeting me at my dove
lease near Lockhart. I will always regret not arranging the trip. He was a
very good one.

John in Austin

I'm sorry to be out of the loop, but who else passed recently?

Chef Juke

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 23:21:41 GMT, "The Fat Man®"
> wrote:

>Cuchulain's daughter called me this afternoon and informed me that he'd
>passed away yesterday morning.
>
>Cause of death is unknown as of yet. When I last talked to him he told me
>his morning **** looked like coca-cola.
>
>Another Texas legend is gone. I'll miss him greatly, and I'm sure y'all
>will too.
>
>[Glass raised] Here's to you Hound! You touched us all. I'm proud to have
>been your friend.
>

>TFM®

D*mn!

I am so sorry to hear this. One of the most helpful and enjoyable to
read folks here on A.F.B.

From his offer to go to the trouble of shipping folks Ollas for
cooking beans in to worrying about his daughter when she fell off a
moving car and tweaked her skull, he was helpful, funny and
knowledgable and shared that knowlege freely (even with newbie
potteryheads like myself).

Here's to ya Hound! I'll be drinking a shot (or two) of Corralejo
tonight in your honor.

(One of my favorite Hound quotes below):

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Simon, ( going back to a snipped paragraph) how many ways are there to
boil an egg?
Anyway, This a silly statement you make. I used to parboil pork ribs
prior to grilling them and enjoyed them slathered with sauce - KC
Masterpiece.

Then I bought an electric Brinkman water smoker and used that with
soaked chunks, but looking back I see I seriously oversmoked the ribs.

Moved to Texas and bought a charcoal-fired ws (used lump) and a kettle
(used chunk), still turned ok ribs. When I moved into this house 5
years ago I bought a 3 chamber log burner, found this ng and an e-mail
list that is the source of the faq, started rubbing my ribs, using
straight oak for fuel and cooking them for 6 hours @ 225ish and now my
ribs are world class. As for grilling, I got by with the firebox in my
pit for a few years but just bought a wood-fired grill.

If you want to discuss short cuts, fine we all use 'em occasionally,
but do not try to introduce these shorcuts as art.

For the pit and grill go to www.tejassmokers.com (1628cc and 2436,
respectively) for my trailer rig go to www.lazyq,com

-Hound

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
-Chef Juke
http://www.chefjuke.com
"Everybody Eats when they come to MY house!"

(Remove the CAPS from the return address when sending email replies)

Matthew L. Martin

The Fat Man® wrote:

> Cuchulain's daughter called me this afternoon and informed me that he'd
> passed away yesterday morning.

At a loss for words ....

Matthew (sigh..........)

--
<http://www.mlmartin.com/bbq/>

Thermodynamics For Dummies: You can't win.
You can't break even.
You can't get out of the game.

Duwop

> The Fat Man® wrote:
>
>> Cuchulain's daughter called me this afternoon and informed me that
>> he'd passed away yesterday morning.

His graciousness and knowledge was what first attracted me to AFB. Damn!

Maybe we can put together a Hound FAQ with recipes and tips from his own
postings? I dunno, some sort of memorial like that?

Think any of his family might apreciate it? Heck, I know future people
would.
I can do some of the grunt work.

frohe

The Fat Man® wrote:
> Cuchulain's daughter called me this afternoon and informed me that
> he'd passed away yesterday morning.

Oh geez, I don't know what to say. God bless ya, Cuch!
--
-frohe
Life is too short to be in a hurry

thopper

"Duwop" > wrote in message
> > The Fat Man® wrote:
> >
> >> Cuchulain's daughter called me this afternoon and informed me that
> >> he'd passed away yesterday morning.

> His graciousness and knowledge was what first attracted me to AFB. Damn!
>
> Maybe we can put together a Hound FAQ with recipes and tips from his own
> postings? I dunno, some sort of memorial like that?
>
> Think any of his family might apreciate it? Heck, I know future people
> would.
> I can do some of the grunt work.
>
> --

That might be nice Blaise was very proud of his art. She didn't have to cook
very often.

_________
ht_redneck

Z GIRL

"The Fat Man®" > wrote in message
m...
> Cuchulain's daughter called me this afternoon and informed me that he'd
> passed away yesterday morning.
>
> Cause of death is unknown as of yet. When I last talked to him he told me
> his morning **** looked like coca-cola.
>
> Another Texas legend is gone. I'll miss him greatly, and I'm sure y'all
> will too.
>
> [Glass raised] Here's to you Hound! You touched us all. I'm proud to

have
> been your friend.
>

> TFM®

My sympathy to you and his family.

peace,
Barbara

Pigmeat

I picture a HUGE pit.
There is a LONG line of people, as far as the eye can see.
First in line is God,holding an empty plate and anxiously shuffling from
side to side.

God asks the pitmaster"How much longer?"

Hound turns to The Almighty and says"It's done when it's done Lord."

notbob

On 2003-10-24, The Fat Man® > wrote:
> Cuchulain's daughter called me this afternoon and informed me that he'd
> passed away yesterday morning.

I'm very sorry to hear of his passing. He will be greatly missed.

My sincere condolances to his family and all his many friends on
usenet.

nb
Brick

"DArbabi" > wrote in message
> TFM,
>
> Do you have an address where we might send a condolence card?
>
> I am so sorry to hear of Cuch's passing.
> Godspeed!
>
> Darius

I have Hound's home address, but will not post it to the group.
Regulars to this group who are interested may email me at
or check with TFM®.
I'm sure he has it as well.

Brick

Brick

"Chef Juke" reposted one of Hound's more eloquent posts for which I
am grateful. I can't think of a more fitting memorial to Hound then to
repost some of his gems of wisdom from time to time.

<snip>

Brick

Brick

"Duwop" > wrote in message
> > The Fat Man® wrote:
> >
> >> Cuchulain's daughter called me this afternoon and informed me

that
> >> he'd passed away yesterday morning.

> His graciousness and knowledge was what first attracted me to AFB.

Damn!

> Maybe we can put together a Hound FAQ with recipes and tips from his

own
> postings? I dunno, some sort of memorial like that?
>
> Think any of his family might apreciate it? Heck, I know future

people
> would.
> I can do some of the grunt work.

I just made a similar suggestion before reading your post. You have my
support.

Brick

"Jack Sloan" > wrote:
> "The Fat Man®" > wrote in message
> m...
> > Cuchulain's daughter called me this afternoon and informed me that
> > he'd passed away yesterday morning.
> >
> > Cause of death is unknown as of yet. When I last talked to him he
> > told me his morning **** looked like coca-cola.
> >
> > Another Texas legend is gone. I'll miss him greatly, and I'm sure
> > y'all will too.
> >
> > [Glass raised] Here's to you Hound! You touched us all. I'm proud

> have
> > been your friend.
> >

> > TFM®
> >

> Oh,man, I'm sorry to hear that. Never met him, but I'm gonna miss him.
> Jack

When I got back from Texas last month, he chided me here for not calling
and getting down to see him. I said I wouldn't forget next time. My loss.
I'm not crying . . . OK, so I am.

Teach God how to Q, Hound!

--
Nick, Retired in the San Fernando Valley www.boonchoo.com
"Giving violent criminals a government guarantee that their intended

Howard Lee

I'm new to the group also and in that short period of time i always
enjoyed Hound's posts. He will be missed and i'd like to give my
condolences to his family.

Howard Lee

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 23:21:41 GMT, "The Fat Man®"
> wrote:

>Cuchulain's daughter called me this afternoon and informed me that he'd
>passed away yesterday morning.
>
>Cause of death is unknown as of yet. When I last talked to him he told me
>his morning **** looked like coca-cola.
>
>Another Texas legend is gone. I'll miss him greatly, and I'm sure y'all
>will too.
>
>[Glass raised] Here's to you Hound! You touched us all. I'm proud to have
>been your friend.
>

>TFM®

Howard
Rage85

On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 06:56:49 -0700, "Duwop" >
wrote:

>> The Fat Man® wrote:
>>
>>> Cuchulain's daughter called me this afternoon and informed me that
>>> he'd passed away yesterday morning.

>His graciousness and knowledge was what first attracted me to AFB. Damn!
>
>Maybe we can put together a Hound FAQ with recipes and tips from his own
>postings? I dunno, some sort of memorial like that?
>
>Think any of his family might apreciate it? Heck, I know future people
>would.
> I can do some of the grunt work.

You guys put it together and I will host the site for it to live
on.....
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.
Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
Mark

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 23:21:41 GMT, "The Fat Man®"
> wrote:

>Cuchulain's daughter called me this afternoon and informed me that he'd
>passed away yesterday morning.
>
>Cause of death is unknown as of yet. When I last talked to him he told me
>his morning **** looked like coca-cola.
>
>Another Texas legend is gone. I'll miss him greatly, and I'm sure y'all
>will too.
>
>[Glass raised] Here's to you Hound! You touched us all. I'm proud to have
>been your friend.

Cuchulain was also a "regular" in another newsgroup community -
alt.coffee, and a fellow I've exchanged emails with. Many of us have
wandered over here upon hearing the bad news, and I think I speak for
all of us from alt.coffee in saying we share in the loss of the guy -
the Hound was as passionate about quality coffee as he seems to have
been about barbecue. That says to me he lived life to the fullest and
loved seeking out and exploring the best avenues in the culinaries;
I'll make the natural assumption he lead life like that in other
avenues as well.

He'll be missed by all, and my condolences to his family and friends.

Mark
--
Mark Prince: www.coffeegeek.com/users/CoffeeKid
Work: www.webmotif.com Info: www.coffeegeek.com
BigDog

Steve Wertz wrote in alt.food.barbecue

> On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 23:21:41 GMT, "The Fat Man®"
> > wrote:
>
>>Cuchulain's daughter called me this afternoon and informed me that
>>he'd passed away yesterday morning.
>>
>>Cause of death is unknown as of yet. When I last talked to him he
>>told me his morning **** looked like coca-cola.
>>
>>Another Texas legend is gone. I'll miss him greatly, and I'm sure
>>y'all will too.
>>
>>[Glass raised] Here's to you Hound! You touched us all. I'm proud
>>to have been your friend.

> I'm speechless. That's two good guys, both in San Antonio, in the
> last few weeks. WTF is going on?
>
> -sw

I just started posting here, after lurking awhile, and had an invite from
Hound to come over, drink some beer, watch some football and learn about
Q'in. We were unable to get together yet and now this. I sure wish I had
been able to meet him. I am speechless also, damn my f*@#%&g
procrastination. Now who in SA is gonna teach me how to Q?

--
To E-mail me, you know what to do.
Jack Schidt®

"BigDog" > wrote in message
.158...
> I just started posting here, after lurking awhile, and had an invite from
> Hound to come over, drink some beer, watch some football and learn about
> Q'in. We were unable to get together yet and now this. I sure wish I had
> been able to meet him. I am speechless also, damn my f*@#%&g
> procrastination. Now who in SA is gonna teach me how to Q?

Hound woulda wanted you to stumble along on yer own and keep cooking til you
get it perfect.

Jack

Jack Sloan

"BigDog" > wrote in message
.158...
> Steve Wertz wrote in alt.food.barbecue
>
> > On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 23:21:41 GMT, "The Fat Man®"
> > > wrote:
> >
> >>Cuchulain's daughter called me this afternoon and informed me that
> >>he'd passed away yesterday morning.
> >>
> >>Cause of death is unknown as of yet. When I last talked to him he
> >>told me his morning **** looked like coca-cola.
> >>
> >>Another Texas legend is gone. I'll miss him greatly, and I'm sure
> >>y'all will too.
> >>
> >>[Glass raised] Here's to you Hound! You touched us all. I'm proud
> >>to have been your friend.

> > I'm speechless. That's two good guys, both in San Antonio, in the
> > last few weeks. WTF is going on?
> >
> > -sw
> >

> I just started posting here, after lurking awhile, and had an invite from
> Hound to come over, drink some beer, watch some football and learn about
> Q'in. We were unable to get together yet and now this. I sure wish I had
> been able to meet him. I am speechless also, damn my f*@#%&g
> procrastination. Now who in SA is gonna teach me how to Q?
>
> --

Well, there's always Tyler Hopper.
Jack

BigDog

Jack Schidt® wrote in alt.food.barbecue

> "BigDog" > wrote in message
> .158...
>> I just started posting here, after lurking awhile, and had an invite
>> from Hound to come over, drink some beer, watch some football and
>> learn about Q'in. We were unable to get together yet and now this. I
>> sure wish I had been able to meet him. I am speechless also, damn my
>> f*@#%&g procrastination. Now who in SA is gonna teach me how to Q?
>>

> Hound woulda wanted you to stumble along on yer own and keep cooking
> til you get it perfect.
>
> Jack

Wiping tear, I will do just that.

BigDog
--
To E-mail me, you know what to do.
BigDog

Jack Sloan wrote in alt.food.barbecue

> Well, there's always Tyler Hopper.
> Jack

I'm new here and don't know him.

BigDog
--
To E-mail me, you know what to do.
jason molinari

"The Fat Man®" > wrote in message om>...
> Cuchulain's daughter called me this afternoon and informed me that he'd
> passed away yesterday morning.
>
> Cause of death is unknown as of yet. When I last talked to him he told me
> his morning **** looked like coca-cola.
>
> Another Texas legend is gone. I'll miss him greatly, and I'm sure y'all
> will too.
>
> [Glass raised] Here's to you Hound! You touched us all. I'm proud to have
> been your friend.
>

> TFM®

I started reading cuch's posts here in AFB...and then i happened to
run into him on alt.coffee... turns out he was into that too! Cool
coincidence.

I'll be raising my espresso cup to him.
And i'll remember him every time i make his yummy citrus brine for my
turkey.

He'll be missed.

jason
Jack Sloan