Thomas Mooney

Default WSM in Winter

Any tips on running a WSM in cold weather? I suspect that our temperatures
here in Minnesota even rival Harry D.'s up in Calgary. Lookin' for any
advice I can get.

Thanks,

--
TFM3

Note: Spam-resistant e-mail address

Wally Bedford

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 18:23:19 -0500, "Thomas Mooney"
> reported to us:

>Any tips on running a WSM in cold weather? I suspect that our temperatures
>here in Minnesota even rival Harry D.'s up in Calgary. Lookin' for any
>advice I can get.
>
>Thanks,

If you can predict it, try to find a calm, sunny day. Get as much
wind protection as you can. I've set up 4x8 plywood in different
manners to get a good wind block. Make sure you check for a breeze
down low as well.

Been there, done that... ya just gotta open the vents up a bit more.

HTH,

Wally

"No one has ever had an idea in a dress suit."
Sir Frederick G. Banting
Buzz1

"Thomas Mooney" > wrote in message
> Any tips on running a WSM in cold weather? I suspect that our

temperatures
> here in Minnesota even rival Harry D.'s up in Calgary. Lookin' for any
> advice I can get.
>
> Thanks,
>
> --

I use a wsm often here in the middle of Wis. in the middle of the winter.
While our winters are darn near mild compared to the homestead in ND the
temp still dances below zero often enough for this old boy. When it is cold,
windy and darn right wintery the wsm works great as long as the wind is
blocked--for that purpose a 55gal barrel with both ends cut out works great.
Someone has a couple pics on there web page but can't find it now

What part of the Gopher state is home for ya Tom??

Buzz--in the midle of Wis

bbq

Thomas Mooney wrote:
> Any tips on running a WSM in cold weather? I suspect that our temperatures
> here in Minnesota even rival Harry D.'s up in Calgary. Lookin' for any
> advice I can get.
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> TFM3
>
> Note: Spam-resistant e-mail address

I have had difficulties using my smoker in the winter. Mine is a cheap
charbroil. Keeping the heat at a constant temperature is very difficult.

The WSM is a much thicker metal and may perform better. The biggest tip
is to keep it out of the wind. You can purchase a smoker jacket and
this will help insulate it.

Another tip is don't take the cover off often. EX: Cooking brisket, you
know it is going to take many hours and your coals will be good for 8
hours or so. Don't take the cover off at 6 hours, simply to see how it's
going. You know it ain't done and there is still heat, so leave it
alone. Take off the cover only if your certain something needs
adjustment, like adding coals or it is close to done and want to check
the meat temperature.

Winter smoking is an excellent use for a thermometer installed so that
you can get a reading without taking off the cover. I think there is a
thermometer available that can give you a reading of both the meat and
the grate and read it from outside the unit.

Might be time to ask your wife to ask your kids to use their allowance
money to buy you a new gadget. Why, they may ask? No reason, just
because :-)

BBQ prediction: Minnesota will be damn cold this winter and will have
more snow than the last 2 winters combined. Unless your a Will Steger
type, you won't be using the WSM in January.

Happy Q'en,
BBQ

Thomas Mooney

Buzz1 > wrote in message

<snip>
> When it is cold,
> windy and darn right wintery the wsm works great as long as the wind is
> blocked--for that purpose a 55gal barrel with both ends cut out works

great.
> Someone has a couple pics on there web page but can't find it now
>
> What part of the Gopher state is home for ya Tom??
>
> Buzz--in the midle of Wis

Western suburbs of Minneapolis. Minnetonka to be exact. Where "in the
middle of Wisconsin"?

The 55 gal. drum idea sounds like a winner. I'll have to start looking
around for one.

Thanks,

--
TFM3

Note: Spam-resistant e-mail address

CSS

Works fine in Northern California <g>

"Thomas Mooney" > wrote in message
> Any tips on running a WSM in cold weather? I suspect that our

temperatures
> here in Minnesota even rival Harry D.'s up in Calgary. Lookin' for any
> advice I can get.
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> TFM3
>
> Note: Spam-resistant e-mail address

Thomas Mooney

CSS > wrote in message
k.net...
> Works fine in Northern California <g>

But then, of course, there are parts of Canada that are further south than
parts of Northern California! <g>

--
TFM3

Note: Spam-resistant e-mail address

Jim

>"Buzz1" wrote-

<snip>

>When it is cold,
>windy and darn right wintery the wsm works great as long as the wind is
>blocked

I think that is really the key.
Although, I'm no expert at cold weather cooking, living in SoCal. I have
cooked at night, with windy, slightly sub-freezing temps with sucess, as long
as the WSM was sheltered from the wind.
Windy and cold sounds kinda good-it was 104* here today, and we have 4 major
brush fires burning.

Jim

Buzz1

"Thomas Mooney" > wrote in message

> Western suburbs of Minneapolis. Minnetonka to be exact. Where "in the
> middle of Wisconsin"?

Nekoosa, a small paper mill town right on the Wisconsin River is where we
call home but the heart is in ND

> The 55 gal. drum idea sounds like a winner. I'll have to start looking
> around for one.

if your in the neighborhood there are are a couple in my yard that the wife
doesn't much care for<LOL>

Buzz

John O

> > Works fine in Northern California <g>
>
> But then, of course, there are parts of Canada that are further south than
> parts of Northern California! <g>

There are parts of Michigan that are north of Canada. The Ambassador Bridge
runs north & south...guess which way you travel to get into Ontario...

To make a bad analogy, a smoker gets wind chill. Keeping the wind off of it
reduces conductive heat loss, which can be significant in a strong and cold
wind. Metal thickness has almost no effect compared to wind, unless we're
talking about 14-guage sheet metal. :-)

John O

Tim Wisniewski

Folks.....

Just wondering.....has anyone done any thing with an insulating
blanket......such as would be used for a ho****er heater???

"John O" > wrote in message
.com...
> > > Works fine in Northern California <g>

> > But then, of course, there are parts of Canada that are further south

than
> > parts of Northern California! <g>

> There are parts of Michigan that are north of Canada. The Ambassador

Bridge
> runs north & south...guess which way you travel to get into Ontario...
>
> To make a bad analogy, a smoker gets wind chill. Keeping the wind off of

it
> reduces conductive heat loss, which can be significant in a strong and

cold
> wind. Metal thickness has almost no effect compared to wind, unless we're
> talking about 14-guage sheet metal. :-)
>
> John O

Bill

Thomas Mooney wrote:

> Any tips on running a WSM in cold weather? I suspect that our temperatures
> here in Minnesota even rival Harry D.'s up in Calgary. Lookin' for any
> advice I can get.
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> TFM3
>
> Note: Spam-resistant e-mail address

I thought snow was sposed to be such a good insulator?

Jack Sloan

"bbq" > wrote in message

> Thomas Mooney wrote:
> > Any tips on running a WSM in cold weather? I suspect that our

temperatures
> > here in Minnesota even rival Harry D.'s up in Calgary. Lookin' for any
> > advice I can get.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > --
> > TFM3

Do any of you flowerpot cookers have any probs when it gets cold like that?
Jack( with the GrillDome in gulf coast country)

BOB

Jack Sloan typed:
> "bbq" > wrote in message
>>

>> Thomas Mooney wrote:
>>> Any tips on running a WSM in cold weather? I suspect that our

temperatures
>>> here in Minnesota even rival Harry D.'s up in Calgary. Lookin' for any
>>> advice I can get.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> --
>>> TFM3

> Do any of you flowerpot cookers have any probs when it gets cold like

that?
> Jack( with the GrillDome in gulf coast country)

Harry says that you have to be careful uf condensation when you let it cool
down at sub-freezing temperatures.

I know that you won't really believe me, (since I live in Florida) but my
first two overnight cooks in my K5 were sub-freezing during the night. I'm
guessing that since the entering air temperature was colder, I probably used
a little more charcoal, and the vents might have been open a hair more, but
even *I* can't confirm this.

BOB

Fyrepup

"Tim Wisniewski" > wrote in message >...
> Folks.....
>
> Just wondering.....has anyone done any thing with an insulating
> blanket......such as would be used for a ho****er heater???
>
> "John O" > wrote in message
> .com...
> > >
> > > But then, of course, there are parts of Canada that are further south

> than
> > > parts of Northern California! <g>

> > There are parts of Michigan that are north of Canada. The Ambassador

> Bridge
> > runs north & south...guess which way you travel to get into Ontario...
> >
> > To make a bad analogy, a smoker gets wind chill. Keeping the wind off of

> it
> > reduces conductive heat loss, which can be significant in a strong and

> cold
> > wind. Metal thickness has almost no effect compared to wind, unless we're
> > talking about 14-guage sheet metal. :-)
> >
> > John O

I use one of my old firefighting bunker coats. even has clips on it to
keep it in place.

Fyrepup

Harry Demidavicius

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 09:36:20 -0500, "Jack Sloan" >
wrote:

>"bbq" > wrote in message
>>

>> Thomas Mooney wrote:
>> > Any tips on running a WSM in cold weather? I suspect that our

>temperatures
>> > here in Minnesota even rival Harry D.'s up in Calgary. Lookin' for any
>> > advice I can get.
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> >
>> > --
>> > TFM3

>Do any of you flowerpot cookers have any probs when it gets cold like that?
>Jack( with the GrillDome in gulf coast country)

Wind & temperature affect will not materially a K's performance.

The only problem with ceramics is the cool down stage. One is better
to let the coals burn down to zilch with all vents open when the temps
are below freezing as opposed to "shutting it down". This prevents
condensation forming ice in the top of the dome. That will kill a K
and likely the other brands too.

Harry
Harry Demidavicius

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 05:18:55 GMT, "Thomas Mooney"
> wrote:

>CSS > wrote in message
nk.net...
>> Works fine in Northern California <g>

>But then, of course, there are parts of Canada that are further south than
>parts of Northern California! <g>

Jayzuss TFM3 - you must be one 16 Americans and fewer than a 500
Canadians who know that fact. :0)

Harry
Monroe, of course...

In article >, Harry
Demidavicius > wrote:

> On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 05:18:55 GMT, "Thomas Mooney"
> > wrote:
> >But then, of course, there are parts of Canada that are further south than
> >parts of Northern California! <g>

> Jayzuss TFM3 - you must be one 16 Americans and fewer than a 500
> Canadians who know that fact. :0)

WOO HOO! When's our first club meeting?

monroe(not all americans are 'geographignorant')
Jack Sloan

"Harry Demidavicius" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 09:36:20 -0500, "Jack Sloan" >
> wrote:
>

> >"bbq" > wrote in message

> >temperatures

any

> >Do any of you flowerpot cookers have any probs when it gets cold like

that?
> >Jack( with the GrillDome in gulf coast country)
> >

> Wind & temperature affect will not materially a K's performance.
>
> The only problem with ceramics is the cool down stage. One is better
> to let the coals burn down to zilch with all vents open when the temps
> are below freezing as opposed to "shutting it down". This prevents
> condensation forming ice in the top of the dome. That will kill a K
> and likely the other brands too.
>
> Harry

Hmmmm, verrrrrrry interesting......never had a need to think about that
sorta thing.
Jack (in the 90 degree weather)

Thomas Mooney

Harry Demidavicius > wrote in message
> On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 05:18:55 GMT, "Thomas Mooney"
> > wrote:
>
> >CSS > wrote in message
> nk.net...
> >> Works fine in Northern California <g>

> >But then, of course, there are parts of Canada that are further south

than
> >parts of Northern California! <g>

> Jayzuss TFM3 - you must be one 16 Americans and fewer than a 500
> Canadians who know that fact. :0)
>
> Harry

Don't be too impressed, Harry. I was born and raised in the Detroit area.
Our family used to go to Point Pelee National Park which, if I'm not
mistaken, is the most southerly tip of that small section of Canada that
dips further south than the California/Oregon border. Used to love swimming
there. Terrific waves. The bird-watching is also above average. A very
nice place that still holds mostly fond memories.

A few years ago we went back to the Detroit area to visit family and see one
last baseball game at Tiger Stadium. We took our boys over to Point Pelee.
Alas, couldn't go swimming - some temporary pollution/bacteria problem had
closed the beaches. Oh well.

--
TFM3

Note: Spam-resistant e-mail address

John O

> A few years ago we went back to the Detroit area to visit family and see
one
> last baseball game at Tiger Stadium.

And there hasn't been any baseball in Detroit since. :-(

Memories of '84 are fading.........

John O

Harry Demidavicius

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 22:00:03 -0500, "Jack Sloan" >
wrote:

>"Harry Demidavicius" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 09:36:20 -0500, "Jack Sloan" >
>> wrote:
>>

>> >"bbq" > wrote in message

>> >temperatures

>any

>> >Do any of you flowerpot cookers have any probs when it gets cold like

>that?
>> >Jack( with the GrillDome in gulf coast country)
>> >

>> Wind & temperature affect will not materially a K's performance.
>>
>> The only problem with ceramics is the cool down stage. One is better
>> to let the coals burn down to zilch with all vents open when the temps
>> are below freezing as opposed to "shutting it down". This prevents
>> condensation forming ice in the top of the dome. That will kill a K
>> and likely the other brands too.
>>
>> Harry

>Hmmmm, verrrrrrry interesting......never had a need to think about that
>sorta thing.
>Jack (in the 90 degree weather)

90 degrees would kill me.

Harry
DL

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 13:55:36 GMT, "John O"
> wrote:

>> A few years ago we went back to the Detroit area to visit family and see

>one
>> last baseball game at Tiger Stadium.

>And there hasn't been any baseball in Detroit since. :-(
>
>Memories of '84 are fading.........
>
>John O

Not true. Wait'll next year.

- -

DL

http://www.geocities.com/dicklong14_ca/fanclub.htm

>> Evidently your buddy Cedeño is a *******.
>>

>First of all, Cedeño is not my buddy.

::::::::::::::::

"Ahh, job hunt. Had an interview this week and all
I learned is this: Despite its name,
the company "Johnson Controls" does not manufacture condoms."
- Anonymous

::::::::::::::::

Halter Sucks!
Thomas Mooney

DL > wrote in message
news
> On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 13:55:36 GMT, "John O"
> > wrote:
>
> >> A few years ago we went back to the Detroit area to visit family and

see
> >one
> >> last baseball game at Tiger Stadium.

> >And there hasn't been any baseball in Detroit since. :-(
> >
> >Memories of '84 are fading.........
> >
> >John O
> >

> Not true. Wait'll next year.

Are they going to shatter the 120 mark?!? <g>

--
TFM3

Note: Spam-resistant e-mail address

John O

> Not true. Wait'll next year.

Jeez, don't start sounding like the Chicawgo Northsiders... :-)

John O

Jack Schidt®

"DL" > wrote in message
news
> On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 13:55:36 GMT, "John O"
> > wrote:
>
> >> A few years ago we went back to the Detroit area to visit family and

see
> >one
> >> last baseball game at Tiger Stadium.

> >And there hasn't been any baseball in Detroit since. :-(
> >
> >Memories of '84 are fading.........
> >
> >John O
> >

> Not true. Wait'll next year.

That's Brooklyn Dodger talk! ;-O