TFM®

Tinman wrote:
> Bubbabob wrote:
>> "Tinman" > wrote:
>>

>>> On noooo! Anything but that. I don't know how in the hell I'll be
>>> able to live with myself from now on after that crushing blow.
>>>

>> I would guess that about 2/3 of the group has already plonked you.
>> I'm joining them. You're a waste of phosphors and of the air you
>> breathe.

> Kill-files are for the weak. But if it makes ya' feel like yer
> accomplishing something, or it makes it easier for ya' to wade through
> the thousands of posts flying through this NG each day, go for it.

Killfiles are for those tired of hearing your spew.

I have nothing better to do, however. Would you like to joust?

TFM®

Steve Calvin

TFM® wrote:
> Tinman wrote:
>
>accomplishing something, or it makes it easier for ya' to wade through
>>the thousands of posts flying through this NG each day, go for it.

> Killfiles are for those tired of hearing your spew.
>
> I have nothing better to do, however. Would you like to joust?
>

> TFM®

Rut ro Reorge...

Should I get a beer and settle into a comfy chair with some popcorn?
Well, hell... I may just do that anyhow. ;-)

--
Steve
Piedmont

Jack Schidt® wrote:

SNIP
> IAWTP
>
> Jack

Jack,
I had to ask, what does it mean??

--
Regards, Mike Willsey (Piedmont)
Tinman

TFM® wrote:
> Tinman wrote:
>> Bubbabob wrote:

>>> I would guess that about 2/3 of the group has already plonked you.
>>> I'm joining them. You're a waste of phosphors and of the air you
>>> breathe.

>> Kill-files are for the weak. But if it makes ya' feel like yer
>> accomplishing something, or it makes it easier for ya' to wade
>> through the thousands of posts flying through this NG each day, go
>> for it.

> Killfiles are for those tired of hearing your spew.
>
> I have nothing better to do, however. Would you like to joust?

"Do you care to talk about BBQ or are you here just to waste everyone's
time?"

I'm puzzled that "2/3" of this comparatively low-traffic NG even needs
kill-files. ('Course maybe that is the reason for the low-traffic.) I've
never needed them, but have gotten quite a chuckle out of the games
people play with them.

Tinman

TFM® wrote:
> Tinman wrote:
>> Bubbabob wrote:

>>> I would guess that about 2/3 of the group has already plonked you.
>>> I'm joining them. You're a waste of phosphors and of the air you
>>> breathe.

>> Kill-files are for the weak. But if it makes ya' feel like yer
>> accomplishing something, or it makes it easier for ya' to wade
>> through the thousands of posts flying through this NG each day, go
>> for it.

> Killfiles are for those tired of hearing your spew.
>
> I have nothing better to do, however. Would you like to joust?

"Do you care to talk about BBQ or are you here just to waste everyone's
time?"

I'm puzzled that "2/3" of this comparatively low-traffic NG even needs
kill-files. ('Course maybe that is the reason for the low-traffic.) I've
never needed them, but have gotten quite a chuckle out of the games
people play with them.

Jack Schidt®

"Piedmont" > wrote in message
> Jack Schidt® wrote:
>
> SNIP
>> IAWTP
>>
>> Jack

> Jack,
> I had to ask, what does it mean??
>
> --
> Regards, Mike Willsey (Piedmont)

I agree with this post.

Jack

Jack Schidt®

"Piedmont" > wrote in message
> Jack Schidt® wrote:
>
> SNIP
>> IAWTP
>>
>> Jack

> Jack,
> I had to ask, what does it mean??
>
> --
> Regards, Mike Willsey (Piedmont)

I agree with this post.

Jack

John O

> I'm puzzled that "2/3" of this comparatively low-traffic NG even needs
> kill-files. ('Course maybe that is the reason for the low-traffic.) I've
> never needed them, but have gotten quite a chuckle out of the games people
> play with them.

There are a couple semi-regulars who are hardly ever/almost never worth
reading. My time is too precious to be caught reading the same BS over and
over. As you imply, I don't see a need to tell someone when I've tuned them
out.

Try to post on-topic, be congenial and humble--as when joining any new
group, and all will be well. Go smoke some pig meat tomorrow, eat it, and
tell us what you think about it. That's what I'm planning to do.

-John O

Tinman

John O wrote:

> Try to post on-topic, be congenial and humble--as when joining any new
> group, and all will be well. Go smoke some pig meat tomorrow, eat it,
> and tell us what you think about it. That's what I'm planning to do.

I hear you on the congenial and humble part. I wish I hadn't even posted
to this thread. I just lost it when it seemed like a minor joke was not
understood, or even taken as a joke. I should have just ignored it and
moved on. But it was a bad day and I took it way too far.

Anyway, there isn't much I can say about BBQ yet, aside from trials and
tribulations with my new grill. I had no idea what I was getting into
when I bought a Traeger (pellet grill). And now that I've read so much
about real BBQ, and have sorta gotten the hang of operating the thing, I
felt a little guilty about starting out with such an easy-to-use system.

I did smoke some pig yesterday--baby backs again (and I left the
membrane on). This was my best result yet. I didn't realize that
Traeger's rubs often contain smoke flavoring. I don't know if that's a
normal thing for rubs to contain, but I'd rather get the smoke flavor
from the wood itself. I was gonna just use some S&P, as I've seen
suggested here, but instead went with Emeril's Rib Rub (sparingly).
Cooked them at around 250 degrees for about two hours and the things
were fantastic.

Today there's beef marinating, and I'm gonna add some veggies and try
some kabobs. These will prolly be better on the gas grill, but I'm going
to BBQ them just the same. (Even with all the cooking I've been doing, I
actually lost 10 lbs. since getting the Traeger. I have no desire to eat
out anymore.)

--
Mike | Last words of Thomas Grasso, executed in 1995:
'04 FLHTCUI | "I did not get my Spaghetti-O's, I got spaghetti.
| I want the press to know this."

Tinman

John O wrote:

> Try to post on-topic, be congenial and humble--as when joining any new
> group, and all will be well. Go smoke some pig meat tomorrow, eat it,
> and tell us what you think about it. That's what I'm planning to do.

I hear you on the congenial and humble part. I wish I hadn't even posted
to this thread. I just lost it when it seemed like a minor joke was not
understood, or even taken as a joke. I should have just ignored it and
moved on. But it was a bad day and I took it way too far.

Anyway, there isn't much I can say about BBQ yet, aside from trials and
tribulations with my new grill. I had no idea what I was getting into
when I bought a Traeger (pellet grill). And now that I've read so much
about real BBQ, and have sorta gotten the hang of operating the thing, I
felt a little guilty about starting out with such an easy-to-use system.

I did smoke some pig yesterday--baby backs again (and I left the
membrane on). This was my best result yet. I didn't realize that
Traeger's rubs often contain smoke flavoring. I don't know if that's a
normal thing for rubs to contain, but I'd rather get the smoke flavor
from the wood itself. I was gonna just use some S&P, as I've seen
suggested here, but instead went with Emeril's Rib Rub (sparingly).
Cooked them at around 250 degrees for about two hours and the things
were fantastic.

Today there's beef marinating, and I'm gonna add some veggies and try
some kabobs. These will prolly be better on the gas grill, but I'm going
to BBQ them just the same. (Even with all the cooking I've been doing, I
actually lost 10 lbs. since getting the Traeger. I have no desire to eat
out anymore.)

--
Mike | Last words of Thomas Grasso, executed in 1995:
'04 FLHTCUI | "I did not get my Spaghetti-O's, I got spaghetti.
| I want the press to know this."

Piedmont

Tinman wrote:

snip

> Anyway, there isn't much I can say about BBQ yet, aside from trials and
> tribulations with my new grill. I had no idea what I was getting into
> when I bought a Traeger (pellet grill). And now that I've read so much
> about real BBQ, and have sorta gotten the hang of operating the thing, I

Real barbecue is according to what you were raised with, but there is
old fashioned or antique Q which has to done with coals that have been
made by burning logs to coals. (Which doesn't add much if any smoke
flavor)Then cooking the meat over (Whichdoes flavor by meat juices
dropping on coals) or set near the coals. Directly over coals reguires
staying right on top of it, basting/mopping and perhaps turning the
meat. This was before Weber, Propane tank wood burners, oil drum pig
cookers, briquettes, etc...

> felt a little guilty about starting out with such an easy-to-use system.
>
> I did smoke some pig yesterday--baby backs again (and I left the
> membrane on). This was my best result yet. I didn't realize that
> Traeger's rubs often contain smoke flavoring. I don't know if that's a
> normal thing for rubs to contain, but I'd rather get the smoke flavor

No, not normal, they do that cause pellet cookers don't add enough
actual smoke to flavor well. Read my comments below.

> from the wood itself. I was gonna just use some S&P, as I've seen
> suggested here, but instead went with Emeril's Rib Rub (sparingly).
> Cooked them at around 250 degrees for about two hours and the things
> were fantastic.
>
> Today there's beef marinating, and I'm gonna add some veggies and try
> some kabobs. These will prolly be better on the gas grill, but I'm going
> to BBQ them just the same. (Even with all the cooking I've been doing, I
> actually lost 10 lbs. since getting the Traeger. I have no desire to eat
> out anymore.)

Sounds like your on Atkins! (grin)

Tinman:

Congrats on the Traeger. Don't short yourself on its purchase. I had a
Reliant pellet cooker in the past. It was fun to use, but lacked the
smoke flavor that I preferred. I did try a few things to up the smoke
flavor. On my rig, there was a fire box or pot. It was inside the
cooking chamber, any way, I wrapped a chunk of wood in foil and set it
bside the flame. Something you might want to try?
--
Regards, Mike Willsey (Piedmont)

Please visit my MSN Group: "The Practical Bar B Q'r", A great barbecue
resource; Filled with links and down-loadable documents on building or
buying a cooker, recipes, and links to other great bbq sites. Free
membership to all!

http://groups.msn.com/ThePracticalBa...ewwelcome.msnw

Piedmont

Jack Schidt® wrote:
> "Piedmont" > wrote in message
>
>>Jack Schidt® wrote:
>>
>>SNIP
>>
>>>IAWTP
>>>
>>>Jack

>>Jack,
>>I had to ask, what does it mean??
>>
>>--
>>Regards, Mike Willsey (Piedmont)

> I agree with this post.
>
> Jack

Jack,

Yes, Thanks for agreeing with my post, but what does it mean?

(April Fools Day to ya!) he he! I know, I know, sad but all I could come
up with (grin)

--
Regards, Mike Willsey (Piedmont)

Please visit my MSN Group: "The Practical Bar B Q'r", A great barbecue
resource; Filled with links and down-loadable documents on building or
buying a cooker, recipes, and links to other great bbq sites. Free
membership to all!

http://groups.msn.com/ThePracticalBa...ewwelcome.msnw

Tinman

Piedmont wrote:
> Tinman wrote:
>
> snip
>
>> Anyway, there isn't much I can say about BBQ yet, aside from trials
>> and tribulations with my new grill. I had no idea what I was getting
>> into when I bought a Traeger (pellet grill). And now that I've read
>> so much about real BBQ, and have sorta gotten the hang of operating
>> the thing, I

> Real barbecue is according to what you were raised with,

Growing up in the suburbs of NYC, on Long Island, barbecue was typical
burgers and franks on the backyard (charcoal) grill. I remember the
taste of the lighter fluid more than anything else.

>> I did smoke some pig yesterday--baby backs again (and I left the
>> membrane on). This was my best result yet. I didn't realize that
>> Traeger's rubs often contain smoke flavoring. I don't know if that's
>> a normal thing for rubs to contain, but I'd rather get the smoke
>> flavor

> No, not normal, they do that cause pellet cookers don't add enough
> actual smoke to flavor well. Read my comments below.

Got it. I have been able to get decent smoke-flavor from my Traeger
though. The "smoke" setting cycles the auger off and on (longer on off).
Every couple of minutes as new pellets are added to the now-smoldering
firebox, there is a wealth of smoke. I've figured out how to force that
reaction (sort of) to get smoke on-demand.

It's not perfect, and I intend to do a little re-wiring of the smoker
control (so that I can have exact on/off control of the blower and
auger). I plan on getting the auto thermostat too, so if I screw up my
current control it's no biggie. I do love when the thing goes into
mega-smoke eye-tearing mode!

>> from the wood itself. I was gonna just use some S&P, as I've seen
>> suggested here, but instead went with Emeril's Rib Rub (sparingly).
>> Cooked them at around 250 degrees for about two hours and the things
>> were fantastic.
>>
>> Today there's beef marinating, and I'm gonna add some veggies and try
>> some kabobs. These will prolly be better on the gas grill, but I'm
>> going to BBQ them just the same. (Even with all the cooking I've
>> been doing, I actually lost 10 lbs. since getting the Traeger. I
>> have no desire to eat out anymore.)

> Sounds like your on Atkins! (grin)

You are correct! (Though it wasn't intentional.) All I've been eating is
BBQ'd meat, and veggies. Oh, I guess I blew it, since I did cook a few
frozen pizzas (excellent!).

> Tinman:
>
> Congrats on the Traeger. Don't short yourself on its purchase. I had a
> Reliant pellet cooker in the past. It was fun to use, but lacked the
> smoke flavor that I preferred.

I'm OK with the smoke from my Traeger so far, but I'm still getting used
to the smoke flavor of food (as a regular diet). It's actually growing
on me each day. And even the meat I thought I messed up, has always been
well-liked by others. Still, I wonder if one day I might need to try a
cheap smoker, to see if I really prefer cooking with charcoal better.

> I did try a few things to up the smoke
> flavor. On my rig, there was a fire box or pot. It was inside the
> cooking chamber, any way, I wrapped a chunk of wood in foil and set it
> bside the flame. Something you might want to try?

Hmmm, never thought of that. Might give it a try. The firebox on the
Traeger is pretty small, but since the blower spreads the flames over a
very wide area, I could probably get the same effect by placing the
pouch beside the firebox. This could get me more smoke flavor when
cooking at higher temps.

Thanks.

--
Mike

Jack Schidt®

"Piedmont" > wrote in message
> Jack Schidt® wrote:
>> "Piedmont" > wrote in message
>>
>>>Jack Schidt® wrote:
>>>
>>>SNIP

>>>Jack,
>>>I had to ask, what does it mean??
>>>
>>>--
>>>Regards, Mike Willsey (Piedmont)

>> I agree with this post.
>>
>> Jack

> Jack,
>
> Yes, Thanks for agreeing with my post, but what does it mean?
>

> (April Fools Day to ya!) he he! I know, I know, sad but all I could come
> up with (grin)
>
> --
> Regards, Mike Willsey (Piedmont)

LOL, keep the day job, bro. Or is that KTDJ?

Jack

BOB

Jack Schidt® wrote:
> "BOB" > wrote in message
>> Duwop wrote:

>>> Why? Have you done it both ways? Is there a difference? I thought
>>> it
>>> was one of those BBQ competition things to make it easier for the
>>> judges to eat.

>>> --
>>>

>> I tend to agree with this. I don't pull the membrane off, I cook
>> the ribs directly over the fire, bone (and membrane) down and the
>> membrane seems to burn off or dissolve. It's rarely there, and if
>> it is still there, I treat it like a crispy piece of chicken skin.
>> Meaning that I eat it. BOB
>>

> IAWTP. To me it's extra work taking the membrane off when it crisps
> up and falls off upon cooking.
>
> Jack

I've been saying that for years. I never even noticed the membrane
until I saw it mentioned here and other BBQ forums.

BOB

How to peel garlic Silvar Beitel[_3_] General Cooking 35 04-04-2013 04:28 AM
peel F Murtz[_2_] General Cooking 1 07-01-2012 05:05 PM
New Best Way to Peel Eggs cybercat General Cooking 128 20-09-2009 11:21 PM
Peel vs. Candied Peel Dee.Dee General Cooking 28 08-01-2008 02:20 PM
PEEL MOMPEAGRAM Sourdough 8 08-10-2004 01:04 PM