Matthew L. Martin

Tinman wrote:

Self important tripe snipped.

Again:

Do you care to talk about BBQ or are you here just to waste
everyone's time?

--
Matthew

Which one do you want?

Tinman

Matthew L. Martin wrote:
> Tinman wrote:
>
> Self important tripe snipped.
>
> Again:
>
> Do you care to talk about BBQ or are you here just to waste
> everyone's time?

You're a ****ing moron. Really.

Tinman

Matthew L. Martin wrote:
> Tinman wrote:
>
> Self important tripe snipped.
>
> Again:
>
> Do you care to talk about BBQ or are you here just to waste
> everyone's time?

You're a ****ing moron. Really.

Matthew L. Martin

Tinman wrote:
> Matthew L. Martin wrote:
>
>>Tinman wrote:
>>
>>Self important tripe snipped.
>>
>>Again:
>>
>>Do you care to talk about BBQ or are you here just to waste
>>everyone's time?

> You're a ****ing moron. Really.

I guess then the answer to my question really is that you are here to
waste everyone's time. You could have said so, when asked. That would
have been polite. Oh! I'm so sorry. You haven't been polite in this
exchange at all. Why would I expect politness from you?

I guess I shouldn't, since none has been forthcoming.

HANL.

--
Matthew

Which one do you want?

Duwop

> Tinman wrote:
> > You're a ****ing moron. Really.

Matthew, I'd bet his proof of this is that you are talking to him. He knows
anyone trying to engage him in conversation must be an idiot because he's
such an ass. That's some self awareness he's got.

<bg>

Matthew L. Martin

Duwop wrote:
>>Tinman wrote:
>>
>>>You're a ****ing moron. Really.

> Matthew, I'd bet his proof of this is that you are talking to him. He knows
> anyone trying to engage him in conversation must be an idiot because he's
> such an ass. That's some self awareness he's got.

I tend to agree. I wonder how much longer he can provide amusement. So
far he's been as much fun as CL. I'm not sure which of the two would win
the EYE-QUEUE race, though.

--
Matthew

Which one do you want?
Matthew L. Martin

Duwop wrote:
>>Tinman wrote:
>>
>>>You're a ****ing moron. Really.

> Matthew, I'd bet his proof of this is that you are talking to him. He knows
> anyone trying to engage him in conversation must be an idiot because he's
> such an ass. That's some self awareness he's got.

I tend to agree. I wonder how much longer he can provide amusement. So
far he's been as much fun as CL. I'm not sure which of the two would win
the EYE-QUEUE race, though.

--
Matthew

Which one do you want?
Tinman

Matthew L. Martin wrote:
> Tinman wrote:
>> Matthew L. Martin wrote:
>>
>>> Tinman wrote:
>>>
>>> Self important tripe snipped.
>>>
>>> Again:
>>>
>>> Do you care to talk about BBQ or are you here just to waste
>>> everyone's time?

>> You're a ****ing moron. Really.
>>

> I guess then the answer to my question really is that you are here to
> waste everyone's time.

Go fetch the ball again, cupcake, and you can have another peanut.

Tinman

Matthew L. Martin wrote:
> Tinman wrote:
>> Matthew L. Martin wrote:
>>
>>> Tinman wrote:
>>>
>>> Self important tripe snipped.
>>>
>>> Again:
>>>
>>> Do you care to talk about BBQ or are you here just to waste
>>> everyone's time?

>> You're a ****ing moron. Really.
>>

> I guess then the answer to my question really is that you are here to
> waste everyone's time.

Go fetch the ball again, cupcake, and you can have another peanut.

Tinman

Duwop wrote:
>> Tinman wrote:
>>> You're a ****ing moron. Really.

> Matthew, I'd bet his proof of this is that you are talking to him. He
> knows anyone trying to engage him in conversation must be an idiot
> because he's such an ass. That's some self awareness he's got.

Wow, you're a real brave one there, skippy. Yer momma fight yer battles
for you too?

I love it! Go fetch the ball now...

Tinman

"Tinman" > wrote:
> Matthew L. Martin wrote:
> > Tinman wrote:
> >
> > Self important tripe snipped.
> >
> > Again:
> >
> > Do you care to talk about BBQ or are you here just to waste
> > everyone's time?

> You're a ****ing moron. Really.

"If you are elderly, or perhaps just not very computer literate, then I
apologize."

Being both, I would hafta say, "PLONK!"

--
Nick. To send your support to Any of Our Troops in Harm's Way, go to:
http://anysoldier.com/

Dana H. Myers

Johnny wrote:
> Do y'all pull the membrane off the inside of the ribs before smoking?

Yup. I use a butter knife at the small end of the rack
to get started and a paper towel to get a good grip.
Baby backs and spares both get the treatment.

Dana

Dana H. Myers

Johnny wrote:
> Do y'all pull the membrane off the inside of the ribs before smoking?

Yup. I use a butter knife at the small end of the rack
to get started and a paper towel to get a good grip.
Baby backs and spares both get the treatment.

Dana
Duwop

"Dana H. Myers" > wrote in message
> Johnny wrote:
> > Do y'all pull the membrane off the inside of the ribs before smoking?

> Yup. I use a butter knife at the small end of the rack
> to get started and a paper towel to get a good grip.
> Baby backs and spares both get the treatment.
>
> Dana

Why? Have you done it both ways? Is there a difference? I thought it was one
of those BBQ competition things to make it easier for the judges to eat.

Dana H. Myers

Duwop wrote:
> "Dana H. Myers" > wrote in message
>>Johnny wrote:
>>>Do y'all pull the membrane off the inside of the ribs before smoking?

>>Yup. I use a butter knife at the small end of the rack
>>to get started and a paper towel to get a good grip.
>>Baby backs and spares both get the treatment.

> Why? Have you done it both ways? Is there a difference? I thought it was one
> of those BBQ competition things to make it easier for the judges to eat.

I've done it both ways. I like it better with the membrane peeled,
that's why I do it, though it's more a texture thing than a flavor
thing. While some folks think the membrane holds in more juice, I
find there's plenty of fat under the membrane, juiciness isn't an
issue for me. I do find that the rub seems to seep in a little more
with the membrane missing.

It's probably 6 o' one, half-dozen of the other, though.

Damn, I'm ready for the periodic rain to stop and spring to
really arrive.

Dana
John O

>to make it easier for the judges to eat.

Makes it easier for the kids, too. ;-)

-John O

Steve Calvin

John O wrote:
>>to make it easier for the judges to eat.

> Makes it easier for the kids, too. ;-)
>
> -John O

I've tried it both ways and now always peel the membrane off. As Dana
said. Maybe it's a texture thang but we just like them better that way
for some reason. <shrug>

--
Steve

cl

"Matthew L. Martin" wrote:

> Duwop wrote:

> > Matthew, I'd bet his proof of this is that you are talking to him. He knows
> > anyone trying to engage him in conversation must be an idiot because he's
> > such an ass. That's some self awareness he's got.

> I tend to agree. I wonder how much longer he can provide amusement. So
> far he's been as much fun as CL. I'm not sure which of the two would win
> the EYE-QUEUE race, though.

I'm sorry I just noticed the little spot you left on my trousers.

BTW Since opinions are like assholes maybe this should be your new
signature line Matt:

"I'm a contractor. If you want an asshole, I'll sell you one.
Which one do you want?"

-CAL
cl

"Matthew L. Martin" wrote:

> Duwop wrote:

> > Matthew, I'd bet his proof of this is that you are talking to him. He knows
> > anyone trying to engage him in conversation must be an idiot because he's
> > such an ass. That's some self awareness he's got.

> I tend to agree. I wonder how much longer he can provide amusement. So
> far he's been as much fun as CL. I'm not sure which of the two would win
> the EYE-QUEUE race, though.

I'm sorry I just noticed the little spot you left on my trousers.

BTW Since opinions are like assholes maybe this should be your new
signature line Matt:

"I'm a contractor. If you want an asshole, I'll sell you one.
Which one do you want?"

-CAL
BOB

Duwop wrote:
> "Dana H. Myers" > wrote in message
>> Johnny wrote:
>>> Do y'all pull the membrane off the inside of the ribs before
>>> smoking?

>> Yup. I use a butter knife at the small end of the rack
>> to get started and a paper towel to get a good grip.
>> Baby backs and spares both get the treatment.
>>
>> Dana

> Why? Have you done it both ways? Is there a difference? I thought it
> was one of those BBQ competition things to make it easier for the
> judges to eat.

I tend to agree with this. I don't pull the membrane off, I cook the
ribs directly over the fire, bone (and membrane) down and the membrane
seems to burn off or dissolve. It's rarely there, and if it is still
there, I treat it like a crispy piece of chicken skin. Meaning that I
eat it.

BOB

BOB

Duwop wrote:
> "Dana H. Myers" > wrote in message
>> Johnny wrote:
>>> Do y'all pull the membrane off the inside of the ribs before
>>> smoking?

>> Yup. I use a butter knife at the small end of the rack
>> to get started and a paper towel to get a good grip.
>> Baby backs and spares both get the treatment.
>>
>> Dana

> Why? Have you done it both ways? Is there a difference? I thought it
> was one of those BBQ competition things to make it easier for the
> judges to eat.

I tend to agree with this. I don't pull the membrane off, I cook the
ribs directly over the fire, bone (and membrane) down and the membrane
seems to burn off or dissolve. It's rarely there, and if it is still
there, I treat it like a crispy piece of chicken skin. Meaning that I
eat it.

BOB

Jack Schidt®

"BOB" > wrote in message
> Duwop wrote:
>>>
>>> Yup. I use a butter knife at the small end of the rack
>>> to get started and a paper towel to get a good grip.
>>> Baby backs and spares both get the treatment.
>>>
>>> Dana

>> Why? Have you done it both ways? Is there a difference? I thought it
>> was one of those BBQ competition things to make it easier for the
>> judges to eat.

>> --
>>

> I tend to agree with this. I don't pull the membrane off, I cook the ribs
> directly over the fire, bone (and membrane) down and the membrane seems to
> burn off or dissolve. It's rarely there, and if it is still there, I
> treat it like a crispy piece of chicken skin. Meaning that I eat it.
>
> BOB

IAWTP. To me it's extra work taking the membrane off when it crisps up and
falls off upon cooking.

Jack

Matthew L. Martin

Jack Schidt® wrote:

> IAWTP. To me it's extra work taking the membrane off when it crisps up and
> falls off upon cooking.

I will spend no more than 30 seconds per slab attempting to remove the
membrane. If it comes off easily, off it comes. Otherwise I don't lose
any sleep over it.

Matthew

You can't win
You can't break even
You can't get out of the game
Brick

On 30-Mar-2005, "Matthew L. Martin" > wrote:

> Jack Schidt® wrote:
>

> > IAWTP. To me it's extra work taking the membrane off when it crisps up
> > and
> > falls off upon cooking.
> >

> I will spend no more than 30 seconds per slab attempting to remove the
> membrane. If it comes off easily, off it comes. Otherwise I don't lose
> any sleep over it.
>
> Matthew

I've tried a few times to get the membrane off and have never succeeded.
I've never been able to pull it loose. I've even gone so far as to employ a
pair of pliers to hang on to it. Finally, I said F$%^ it. Once cooked, the
ribs never last long enough to even discuss it.

Brick (Keep the shiny side up)

Jack Schidt®

"Brick" > wrote in message

> On 30-Mar-2005, "Matthew L. Martin" > wrote:
>
>> Jack Schidt® wrote:
>>

>> > IAWTP. To me it's extra work taking the membrane off when it crisps up
>> > and
>> > falls off upon cooking.
>> >

>> I will spend no more than 30 seconds per slab attempting to remove the
>> membrane. If it comes off easily, off it comes. Otherwise I don't lose
>> any sleep over it.
>>
>> Matthew
>>

> I've tried a few times to get the membrane off and have never succeeded.
> I've never been able to pull it loose. I've even gone so far as to employ
> pair of pliers to hang on to it. Finally, I said F$%^ it. Once cooked, the
> ribs never last long enough to even discuss it.

I don't get it at all, and maybe somebody could 'splain it, but I've never
seen anyone pull the membrane off a rack of ribs before cooking them, other
than some city boys trying to be scientists.

Jack

Matthew L. Martin

Jack Schidt® wrote:

> I don't get it at all, and maybe somebody could 'splain it, but I've never
> seen anyone pull the membrane off a rack of ribs before cooking them, other
> than some city boys trying to be scientists.

The only thing I can figure is that the fat will render out of the ribs
more quickly if the membrane isn't there to contain it. While I apply
rub to the inside of the ribs, I really don't expect it to do much to
the flavor with or without a membrane

--
Matthew

Which one do you want?
Matthew L. Martin

Brick wrote:

> I've tried a few times to get the membrane off and have never succeeded.
> I've never been able to pull it loose. I've even gone so far as to employ a
> pair of pliers to hang on to it. Finally, I said F$%^ it. Once cooked, the
> ribs never last long enough to even discuss it.

I use a section of dry paper towel to help hold onto the membrane once I
get a corner of it loose. If you can get enough peeled up and get more
paper towel around it, it peels off like taking a bumber sticker off a car.

--
Matthew

Which one do you want?

Steve Calvin

Matthew L. Martin wrote:

> Brick wrote:
>

>> I've tried a few times to get the membrane off and have never succeeded.
>> I've never been able to pull it loose. I've even gone so far as to
>> employ a
>> pair of pliers to hang on to it. Finally, I said F$%^ it. Once cooked,
>> the
>> ribs never last long enough to even discuss it.
>>

> I use a section of dry paper towel to help hold onto the membrane once I
> get a corner of it loose. If you can get enough peeled up and get more
> paper towel around it, it peels off like taking a bumber sticker off a car.

I take a sharp knife into the middle of the rack and loosen the mem.
enough to get one or two fingers into a "pocket" under the mem. Then
it's just a simple matter of pulling it upward and working your fingers
under. Kind of like putting a pocket between a turkey skin and the meat
to stuff herbs, etc...

--
Steve
Tinman

Bubbabob wrote:
> "Tinman" > wrote:
>

>> On noooo! Anything but that. I don't know how in the hell I'll be
>> able to live with myself from now on after that crushing blow.
>>

> I would guess that about 2/3 of the group has already plonked you. I'm
> joining them. You're a waste of phosphors and of the air you breathe.

Kill-files are for the weak. But if it makes ya' feel like yer
accomplishing something, or it makes it easier for ya' to wade through
the thousands of posts flying through this NG each day, go for it.

John O

> Kill-files are for the weak.

By the same logic, turning off the TV is for the weak, which makes no sense
at all. My logic, as well as most others on this group, is to filter out
useless noise and try to keep the signal. IOW, some people just aren't worth
hearing.

membrane...I like to think removing it lets more fat out and smoke in.
But, I sure liked ribs even before I know it could be removed.

-John O

Tinman

John O wrote:
>> Kill-files are for the weak.

> By the same logic, turning off the TV is for the weak,

Fair enough.

> My logic, as well as most others on this group,

I would like to think that not everyone--even here--runs for the
kill-filter at the drop of a hat.

>is to
> filter out useless noise and try to keep the signal. IOW, some people
> just aren't worth hearing.

But it's really not all that hard to just ignore posts you don't care
about. I have participated in groups with more activity than this one,
and never had a problem simply skipping over posts I didn't want to
read.

> membrane...I like to think removing it lets more fat out and
> smoke in. But, I sure liked ribs even before I know it could be
> removed.

There you go.

In the end this thread turned out very informative (at least to me).
It's not due to any help from me, but at least it branched out from my
ranting. That's gotta count for something.

Duwop

"Matthew L. Martin" > wrote in message
> Jack Schidt® wrote:
>

> > I don't get it at all, and maybe somebody could 'splain it, but I've

never
> > seen anyone pull the membrane off a rack of ribs before cooking them,

other
> > than some city boys trying to be scientists.
> >

> The only thing I can figure is that the fat will render out of the ribs
> more quickly if the membrane isn't there to contain it. While I apply
> rub to the inside of the ribs, I really don't expect it to do much to
> the flavor with or without a membrane

Ah, ok, since the only part that's ever too fatty for my taste is the fat
attached to the bottom flap I won't bother then. The main meat's never been
overly fatty in my experience.
I remain of the opinion that this is a Q contest thing that's escaped the
madhouse and infected the general public. <bg>

Dale

Piedmont

I have peeled, it isn't too hard but I have also done without peeling,
the only problem is if the cooking didn't go real well, the membrane is
noticable. I'd say if you leave it on, it for sure can be edible if done
right. The last time I took the time to peel I thought, this is a pain,
just have to kick it up a notch and not peel plus cook it right!

--
Regards, Mike Willsey (Piedmont)

Please visit my MSN Group: "The Practical Bar B Q'r", A great barbecue
resource; Filled with links and down-loadable documents on building or
buying a cooker, recipes, and links to other great bbq sites. Free
membership to all!

http://groups.msn.com/ThePracticalBa...ewwelcome.msnw

Jack Schidt®

"Duwop" > wrote in message

> I remain of the opinion that this is a Q contest thing that's escaped the
> madhouse and infected the general public. <bg>

IAWTP

Jack

TFM®

Jack Schidt® wrote:
> "Brick" > wrote in message

>>> I will spend no more than 30 seconds per slab attempting to remove
>>> the membrane. If it comes off easily, off it comes. Otherwise I
>>> don't lose any sleep over it.
>>>
>>> Matthew
>>>

>> I've tried a few times to get the membrane off and have never
>> succeeded. I've never been able to pull it loose. I've even gone so
>> far as to employ a
>> pair of pliers to hang on to it. Finally, I said F$%^ it. Once
>> cooked, the ribs never last long enough to even discuss it.
>>

> I don't get it at all, and maybe somebody could 'splain it, but I've
> never seen anyone pull the membrane off a rack of ribs before cooking
> them, other than some city boys trying to be scientists.
>
> Jack

I've pulled a few off in my time. It lets the seasoning get in the
backside.

Looking back at what I just typed..........it sounds pretty ***, but I *was*
talking about rib membranes.

IMNSHO, it don't matter. Ribs are thin.

Let those that are anal retentive peel their ribs. The rest of us should
just cook and eat them.

It is teh suxor typing like this. I have 6 fingers and 2 thumbs available.

TFM®

Jack Schidt®

"TFM®" > wrote in message
. ..
> Jack Schidt® wrote:

>>> I've tried a few times to get the membrane off and have never
>>> succeeded. I've never been able to pull it loose. I've even gone so
>>> far as to employ a
>>> pair of pliers to hang on to it. Finally, I said F$%^ it. Once
>>> cooked, the ribs never last long enough to even discuss it.
>>>

>> I don't get it at all, and maybe somebody could 'splain it, but I've
>> never seen anyone pull the membrane off a rack of ribs before cooking
>> them, other than some city boys trying to be scientists.
>>
>> Jack

> I've pulled a few off in my time. It lets the seasoning get in the
> backside.
>
> Looking back at what I just typed..........it sounds pretty ***, but I
> *was*
> talking about rib membranes.
>
> IMNSHO, it don't matter. Ribs are thin.
>
> Let those that are anal retentive peel their ribs. The rest of us should
> just cook and eat them.
>
> It is teh suxor typing like this. I have 6 fingers and 2 thumbs
> available.
>

> TFM®

L0L @ j00!

Jack

Dana H. Myers

TFM® wrote:

> It is teh suxor typing like this. I have 6 fingers and 2 thumbs available.

I recently saw a little Honda driven by a 19-20 year old kid
in the local college parking lot - with the license plate:

ROXOR

I bet he thinks he was clever.

Dana

How to peel garlic Silvar Beitel[_3_] General Cooking 35 04-04-2013 04:28 AM
peel F Murtz[_2_] General Cooking 1 07-01-2012 06:05 PM
New Best Way to Peel Eggs cybercat General Cooking 128 20-09-2009 11:21 PM
Peel vs. Candied Peel Dee.Dee General Cooking 28 08-01-2008 03:20 PM
PEEL MOMPEAGRAM Sourdough 8 08-10-2004 01:04 PM