FoodBanter.com

-   -   Make charcoal in a Kamado? (https://www.foodbanter.com/barbecue/19098-make-charcoal-kamado.html)

James Emanuel 18-10-2003 05:37 PM

Make charcoal in a Kamado?

has anyone tried this?

It seems to me that you might be able to make a really hot wood fire, maybe
start with charcoal first. Get the temp up pretty high, let the K heat
soak, then shut it down. Does anyone know how hot it has to be to make
charcoal out of oak or almond, I have plenty.

Jim Emanuel

Monroe, of course... 18-10-2003 06:45 PM

Make charcoal in a Kamado?

In article . net>,
"James Emanuel" > wrote:

> has anyone tried this?
>
> It seems to me that you might be able to make a really hot wood fire, maybe
> start with charcoal first. Get the temp up pretty high, let the K heat
> soak, then shut it down. Does anyone know how hot it has to be to make
> charcoal out of oak or almond, I have plenty.

My smokechunks wrapped in foil turn into charcoal. i don't know how
productive it would be doing this on a large scale.....

monroe(makin lump a handful at a time)

JM 18-10-2003 11:11 PM

Make charcoal in a Kamado?

I use a baking tin with a perforated foil cover on my Charbroil gas grill. I
"cook" the hickory chunks on the lowest setting and depending on the size of
the chunk, it will be fully charcoaled in about 30 minutes. I save the
charcoal and either use it myself in a hibachi out the lake or give it away
to a friend who uses a charcoal fired smoker. Bread bags make a good
container. I use the bags whole wheat bread comes in, for some reason the
plastic is thicker and more durable.

John

B.Server 20-10-2003 01:18 PM

Make charcoal in a Kamado?

On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 17:11:41 -0500, "JM" > wrote:

>I use a baking tin with a perforated foil cover on my Charbroil gas grill. I
>"cook" the hickory chunks on the lowest setting and depending on the size of
>the chunk, it will be fully charcoaled in about 30 minutes. I save the
>charcoal and either use it myself in a hibachi out the lake or give it away
>to a friend who uses a charcoal fired smoker. Bread bags make a good
>container. I use the bags whole wheat bread comes in, for some reason the
>plastic is thicker and more durable.
>
>John

I would think that there is some risk of filling your K with tar and
other noxious, unburned byproducts distilled from the wood. That is,
after all, the way turpentine and coal tar were traditionally made.
No doubt it depends on the wood, temp, ventilation, etc. But the
product does not seem to be worth the risk to me.

Jason 20-10-2003 04:29 PM

Make charcoal in a Kamado?

Jim,

It'd probably be easier to just use the 55 gallon steel drum method*
since you can seal that up completely air tight. The K seals up well,
but it's not absolutely a 100% seal. Now, whether or not that makes a
difference, I can't tell since I've never made charcoal. My #7 will
definitely seal up well enough to kill a charcoal fire, but I don't
know if it would let in enough air to keep the wood fire going and let
the wood turn to ashes instead of charcoal.

You'd also get a lot more charcoal for your trouble.

In Mexico, they dig a big pit, fill it with mesquite, set it on fire,
cover it up except for one or two holes, then cover those to smother
the fire when it's just right. That would explain the occasional rock
in my bags of Mexquite, but at $9 for 40#, I'm not complaining.

* I think I read about that in a pryotechnics book or newsgroup. I
came up with
http://tinyurl.com/rlpx after a google.

Jack Schidt® 21-10-2003 03:02 AM

Make charcoal in a Kamado?

"James Emanuel" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> has anyone tried this?
>
> It seems to me that you might be able to make a really hot wood fire,

maybe
> start with charcoal first. Get the temp up pretty high, let the K heat
> soak, then shut it down. Does anyone know how hot it has to be to make
> charcoal out of oak or almond, I have plenty.
>
> Jim Emanuel

I wouldn't bother on a grand scale. Just let your wood burn to coals when
you cook and you've got the charcoal you need.

Jack

Edwin Pawlowski 21-10-2003 03:50 AM

Make charcoal in a Kamado?

> "James Emanuel" > wrote in message
> ink.net...
> > has anyone tried this?
> >
> > It seems to me that you might be able to make a really hot wood fire,

> maybe
> > start with charcoal first. Get the temp up pretty high, let the K heat
> > soak, then shut it down. Does anyone know how hot it has to be to make
> > charcoal out of oak or almond, I have plenty.
> >
> > Jim Emanuel

It does not have to be all that hot, just burning well. No, you don't have
to start with charcoal, just get the wood going. Then you have to shut it
down and restrict oxygen, let it cool down. Easily done in a metal drum. I
do have instructions if you are interested.
Ed