barry

Default Temperature plateau at 170F

Several people have commented that a brisket or pork butt will cook until it
hits 170F, then the temperature will stay at this level for a while, then
begin to rise again.

I've observed this to a limited extent. Is there a reason for this plateau?
My initial thought was that this was the temperature that caused the fat to
melt and flow out, but I really haven't a clue.

Does anyone know the answer?

Barry

BOB

barry typed:
> Several people have commented that a brisket or pork butt will cook until

it
> hits 170F, then the temperature will stay at this level for a while, then
> begin to rise again.
>
> I've observed this to a limited extent. Is there a reason for this

plateau?
> My initial thought was that this was the temperature that caused the fat to
> melt and flow out, but I really haven't a clue.
>
> Does anyone know the answer?
>
> Barry

Collagen (connective tissue, that makes the cuts of meat tough) is breaking
down, and liquifying. Yes, also the fat is melting out, too.

BOB

barry

Bingo! This is why, when I stopped cooking at around 170F, thinking the
meat was done, it turned out to be a bit tough.

Thanks a bunch for the info.

Barry

" BOB" > wrote in message
.. .
> barry typed:
> > Several people have commented that a brisket or pork butt will cook

until
> it
> > hits 170F, then the temperature will stay at this level for a while,

then
> > begin to rise again.
> >
> > I've observed this to a limited extent. Is there a reason for this

> plateau?
> > My initial thought was that this was the temperature that caused the fat

> > melt and flow out, but I really haven't a clue.
> >
> > Does anyone know the answer?
> >
> > Barry

> Collagen (connective tissue, that makes the cuts of meat tough) is

breaking
> down, and liquifying. Yes, also the fat is melting out, too.
>
> BOB

BOB

barry typed:
> Bingo! This is why, when I stopped cooking at around 170F, thinking the
> meat was done, it turned out to be a bit tough.
>
> Thanks a bunch for the info.
>
> Barry
>
> " BOB" > wrote in message
> .. .
>> barry typed:
>>> Several people have commented that a brisket or pork butt will cook until

it
>>> hits 170F, then the temperature will stay at this level for a while, then
>>> begin to rise again.
>>>
>>> I've observed this to a limited extent. Is there a reason for this

plateau?
>>> My initial thought was that this was the temperature that caused the fat

>>> melt and flow out, but I really haven't a clue.
>>>
>>> Does anyone know the answer?
>>>
>>> Barry

>> Collagen (connective tissue, that makes the cuts of meat tough) is

breaking
>> down, and liquifying. Yes, also the fat is melting out, too.
>>
>> BOB

<vbg>

Edwin Pawlowski

"barry" > wrote in message
. net...
> Bingo! This is why, when I stopped cooking at around 170F, thinking the
> meat was done, it turned out to be a bit tough.
>
> Thanks a bunch for the info.
>
> Barry

I had to learn that in the beginning.
Yes, it is "done", as in "cooked meat", but it is not barbecue yet. Once
you learn that, you are on your way to making great barbecue.
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

barry

Great? Heavens, I'll settle for pretty good for now. <vbg>

Barry

> I had to learn that in the beginning.
> Yes, it is "done", as in "cooked meat", but it is not barbecue yet. Once
> you learn that, you are on your way to making great barbecue.
> Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

Temperature [email protected] Cooking Equipment 0 24-04-2008 09:05 PM
Hot Temperature !!!! Pandora General Cooking 58 24-07-2007 01:13 AM
what temperature Me Wine 13 09-05-2004 10:34 PM
Must Temperature Don Winemaking 6 10-03-2004 12:35 AM
Temperature Amadeu Winemaking 3 09-12-2003 02:25 AM