FoodBanter.com

-   -   Pulled Pork (yet again) (https://www.foodbanter.com/barbecue/19089-pulled-pork-yet-again.html)

Steve Nunn 17-10-2003 07:48 PM

Pulled Pork (yet again)

Last weekend done my first pulled pork following the Renowned Mr Brown
recipe, absolutely spot on. Took about 11 hrs in the smoker ar approx
230-240 deg (we keep pigs so it was a pretty big butt) until it got to 180
deg, pulled apart and tasted fantastic.

SMoker, by the way is an ECB modified as per the FAQ's and all the
suggestions on the newsgroup. Only instead of using the firepan, cut the
bottom off an old propane cylinder (make sure you know what you are doing if
you attempt this), put it on legs, cut 3 large vents in the bottom with
flaps on, a grid inside. Itll run for approx 11 hrs without any attention at
all. Itll also hold any temp from about 200 to 500 the highest I have had it
(although I think it would probably go higher).

Going to do another one this weekend. Question is:

Are you supposed to leave the skin on?

We left the skin on and it came out great, but the skin was just like rubber
and only fit for the bin anyway. Is it supposed to come out crunchy?

Steve

BOB 17-10-2003 08:30 PM

Pulled Pork (yet again)

Steve Nunn typed:
> Last weekend done my first pulled pork following the Renowned Mr Brown
> recipe, absolutely spot on. Took about 11 hrs in the smoker ar approx
> 230-240 deg (we keep pigs so it was a pretty big butt) until it got to 180
> deg, pulled apart and tasted fantastic.
>
> SMoker, by the way is an ECB modified as per the FAQ's and all the
> suggestions on the newsgroup. Only instead of using the firepan, cut the
> bottom off an old propane cylinder (make sure you know what you are doing

if
> you attempt this), put it on legs, cut 3 large vents in the bottom with
> flaps on, a grid inside. Itll run for approx 11 hrs without any attention

at
> all. Itll also hold any temp from about 200 to 500 the highest I have had

it
> (although I think it would probably go higher).
>
> Going to do another one this weekend. Question is:
>
> Are you supposed to leave the skin on?
>
> We left the skin on and it came out great, but the skin was just like

rubber
> and only fit for the bin anyway. Is it supposed to come out crunchy?
>
> Steve

Two additions/changes for you to try.
1. Go to about 195 internal. I've just had better results. It pulls
easier.
2. After you get the internal temp to about 180, you can raise the
temperature in the smoker to at least 350 with no ill effects. It'll get you
to 195 internal quicker, and it'll help crisp the skin.
OK, Three additions.
3. Keep the skin, and either fry it, or put it back in the cooker with
higher temperature (try your 500+ degrees)

BOB