FoodBanter.com

-   -   Own Reasons (https://www.foodbanter.com/barbecue/19088-own-reasons.html)

IBSinger 17-10-2003 07:20 PM

Own Reasons

"The animals of the world exist for their own reasons. They were not
made for humans any more that black people were made for white, or
women created for men." -- Alice Walker

JoeMcc 17-10-2003 07:44 PM

Own Reasons

Need some good barbecued veggie recipes? I could dig up a few. Please post
some of your favorites. I would love to try them.

Joe

Bill 17-10-2003 08:07 PM

Own Reasons

IBSinger wrote:

> "The animals of the world exist for their own reasons. They were not
> made for humans any more that black people were made for white, or
> women created for men." -- Alice Walker

I tend to stay out of the melees that trolls like this generate
preferring instead to spend my time here learning from masters of a
unique and wonderful cooking method. However your post piqued my
interest. Do not the phrases "exist for their own reasons" and "were
not made for" contradict each other by presenting diametrically opposed
views of the world?

[email protected] 17-10-2003 09:30 PM

Own Reasons

"JoeMcc" > wrote:
> Need some good barbecued veggie recipes? I could dig up a few. Please
> post some of your favorites. I would love to try them.

good barbecued veggie recipe:

Grow veggies.
Feed veggies to animals.
Slaughter and dress out animals.
Rub, marinate, mop to yer liking.
BBQ to desired doneness. Mmmmm!

> > "The animals of the world exist for their own reasons. They were not
> > made for humans

They exist for and were made in the same way as humans . . .
DNA uber alle!

--
Nick, Retired in the San Fernando Valley www.boonchoo.com
"Giving violent criminals a government guarantee that their intended

Condor Chef 17-10-2003 10:00 PM

Own Reasons

"IBSinger" > wrote in message
> "The animals of the world exist for their own reasons. They were not
> made for humans any more that black people were made for white, or
> women created for men." -- Alice Walker

If they weren't made for human consumption, why are they made out of meat?

(ba-da-bum)

CC

Kevin S. Wilson 17-10-2003 10:41 PM

Own Reasons

On 17 Oct 2003 11:20:11 -0700, (IBSinger)
wrote:

>"The animals of the world exist for their own reasons. They were not
>made for humans any more that black people were made for white, or
>women created for men." -- Alice Walker

Please continue this list of Dumb Things Celebrity Writers Have Said.

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a University Somewhere in Idaho

barry 17-10-2003 11:16 PM

Own Reasons

I used to have a whole book of dumb things famous people said. Things like,
"The world demand for computers is probably 4." The title was something
like "The Experts Speak."

Barry

Edwin Pawlowski 18-10-2003 03:25 AM

Own Reasons

"IBSinger" > wrote in message

> "The animals of the world exist for their own reasons. They were not
> made for humans

Can you verify that? Animals become food for bigger animals. That is how
they survive.

Maybe we should issue birth control to robins so they will cease to exist
and stop eating all the good worms.
Ed

Thomas Mooney 18-10-2003 03:49 AM

Own Reasons

barry > wrote in message
. net...
> I used to have a whole book of dumb things famous people said. Things

like,
> "The world demand for computers is probably 4." The title was something
> like "The Experts Speak."
>
> Barry

Wasn't that uttered by Thomas Watson Sr., founder of IBM?

--
TFM3

Note: Spam-resistant e-mail address

Lori 18-10-2003 03:19 PM

Own Reasons

"barry" > wrote in message .net>...

> I used to have a whole book of dumb things famous people said. Things like,
> "The world demand for computers is probably 4." The title was something
> like "The Experts Speak."

I have a book called "303 of the World's Worst Predictions" by Wayne
Coffey. According to him, in 1958, Thomas J. Watson of IBM said "I
think there is a world market for about five computers." Sure am glad
he was wrong.
_____

Lori

If we are what we eat, and animals are too, then the pig I'm smoking
today is really corn, right? That would make me an indirect
vegitarian.

Matthew L. Martin 19-10-2003 02:40 AM

Own Reasons

Lori wrote:

> "barry" > wrote in message .net>...
>

>>I used to have a whole book of dumb things famous people said. Things like,
>>"The world demand for computers is probably 4." The title was something
>>like "The Experts Speak."

> I have a book called "303 of the World's Worst Predictions" by Wayne
> Coffey. According to him, in 1958, Thomas J. Watson of IBM said "I
> think there is a world market for about five computers." Sure am glad
> he was wrong.

AIUI, they based the lease model and commission scheme based on that
prediction. When AT&T placed there first order for six computers, the
salesman was able to retire.

Matthew

--
<http://www.mlmartin.com/bbq/>

Thermodynamics For Dummies: You can't win.
You can't break even.
You can't get out of the game.

F.G. Whitfurrows 20-10-2003 04:20 AM

Own Reasons

"IBSinger" > wrote in message
> "The animals of the world exist for their own reasons. They were not
> made for humans any more that black people were made for white, or
> women created for men." -- Alice Walker

FOOD CHAIN!
--
Fosco Gamgee Whitfurrows
and his 6" boner

doyle 20-10-2003 06:08 AM

Own Reasons

"F.G. Whitfurrows" > wrote in message

> "IBSinger" > wrote in message
> > "The animals of the world exist for their own reasons. They were not
> > made for humans any more that black people were made for white, or
> > women created for men." -- Alice Walker

> FOOD CHAIN!
> --
> Fosco Gamgee Whitfurrows
> and his 6" boner

Alice Walker is a Feminist writer.
She isn't qualified to proclaim animals are not for food.

Kevin S. Wilson 20-10-2003 04:04 PM

Own Reasons

On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 22:08:14 -0700, "doyle" > wrote:

>Alice Walker is a Feminist writer.

Which part do you object to?

>She isn't qualified to proclaim animals are not for food.

What would constitute qualifications for doing so?

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a University Somewhere in Idaho
"Who put these fingerprints on my imagination?"

doyle 21-10-2003 03:53 AM

Own Reasons

"Kevin S. Wilson" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 22:08:14 -0700, "doyle" > wrote:
>

> >Alice Walker is a Feminist writer.

> Which part do you object to?

I simply made a statement.
> >She isn't qualified to proclaim animals are not for food.

> What would constitute qualifications for doing so?

Suppose you tell me.

Kevin S. Wilson 21-10-2003 06:08 AM

Own Reasons

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 19:53:12 -0700, "doyle" > wrote:

>"Kevin S. Wilson" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 22:08:14 -0700, "doyle" > wrote:
>>

>> >Alice Walker is a Feminist writer.

>> Which part do you object to?

>I simply made a statement.

A statement with no logical relation to the statement that follows?
How odd.

My dog has a cold nose. Snowmobiles are a problem in Yellowstone.

If you choose to respond to that, I'll just say that I simply made a
statement.

>> >She isn't qualified to proclaim animals are not for food.

>> What would constitute qualifications for doing so?

>Suppose you tell me.

Extensive knowledge of ethics and the study thereof, for starters. But
you're the one who proclaimed her unqualified, so you take it from
there.

doyle 21-10-2003 12:45 PM

Own Reasons

"Kevin S. Wilson" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 19:53:12 -0700, "doyle" > wrote:
>

> >"Kevin S. Wilson" > wrote in message
> .. .

> >> Which part do you object to?

> >I simply made a statement.

> A statement with no logical relation to the statement that follows?
> How odd.
>
> My dog has a cold nose. Snowmobiles are a problem in Yellowstone.
>
> If you choose to respond to that, I'll just say that I simply made a
> statement.

> >> What would constitute qualifications for doing so?

> >Suppose you tell me.

> Extensive knowledge of ethics and the study thereof, for starters. But
> you're the one who proclaimed her unqualified, so you take it from
> there.

Who's ethics? Isn't that something that varies by culture?

Kevin S. Wilson 21-10-2003 02:33 PM

Own Reasons

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 04:45:19 -0700, "doyle" > wrote:

>"Kevin S. Wilson" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 19:53:12 -0700, "doyle" > wrote:
>>

>> >"Kevin S. Wilson" > wrote in message
>> .. .

>> >I simply made a statement.

>> A statement with no logical relation to the statement that follows?
>> How odd.
>>
>> My dog has a cold nose. Snowmobiles are a problem in Yellowstone.
>>
>> If you choose to respond to that, I'll just say that I simply made a
>> statement.

>> >Suppose you tell me.

>> Extensive knowledge of ethics and the study thereof, for starters. But
>> you're the one who proclaimed her unqualified, so you take it from
>> there.

>Who's ethics? Isn't that something that varies by culture?

The study of ethics is an academic disicipline, and yes it does
include multiple cultures. I would find an ethicist much more
persuasive from the standpoint of qualifications than I would Alice
Walker. But to dismiss her as unqualified to speak on the subject of
ethics because she is a "feminist writer" strikes me as an
unsupportable position.

doyle 22-10-2003 04:18 AM

Own Reasons

"Kevin S. Wilson" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 04:45:19 -0700, "doyle" > wrote:
>

> >"Kevin S. Wilson" > wrote in message
> .. .

> >> .. .

> >> A statement with no logical relation to the statement that follows?
> >> How odd.
> >>
> >> My dog has a cold nose. Snowmobiles are a problem in Yellowstone.
> >>
> >> If you choose to respond to that, I'll just say that I simply made a
> >> statement.

> >> Extensive knowledge of ethics and the study thereof, for starters. But
> >> you're the one who proclaimed her unqualified, so you take it from
> >> there.

> >Who's ethics? Isn't that something that varies by culture?
> >

> The study of ethics is an academic disicipline, and yes it does
> include multiple cultures. I would find an ethicist much more
> persuasive from the standpoint of qualifications than I would Alice
> Walker. But to dismiss her as unqualified to speak on the subject of
> ethics because she is a "feminist writer" strikes me as an
> unsupportable position.

My statement was, "She isn't qualified to proclaim animals are not for
food".
Maybe it wasn't perceived the way it was intended. IBwhatshername quoted
Alice Walker's poem.
Without authority, the proclamation is meaningless to those with opposing
opinions.

Okay, go ahead and pick this one apart too.