Old 21-10-2003, 06:08 AM
Kevin S. Wilson

Default Own Reasons

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 19:53:12 -0700, "doyle" wrote:

"Kevin S. Wilson" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 22:08:14 -0700, "doyle" wrote:

Alice Walker is a Feminist writer.

Which part do you object to?

I simply made a statement.

A statement with no logical relation to the statement that follows?
How odd.

My dog has a cold nose. Snowmobiles are a problem in Yellowstone.

If you choose to respond to that, I'll just say that I simply made a
statement.

She isn't qualified to proclaim animals are not for food.

What would constitute qualifications for doing so?

Suppose you tell me.

Extensive knowledge of ethics and the study thereof, for starters. But
you're the one who proclaimed her unqualified, so you take it from
there.

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a University Somewhere in Idaho

Old 21-10-2003, 12:45 PM
doyle

[...]

Who's ethics? Isn't that something that varies by culture?

Old 21-10-2003, 02:33 PM
Kevin S. Wilson

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 04:45:19 -0700, "doyle" wrote:

[...]

The study of ethics is an academic disicipline, and yes it does
include multiple cultures. I would find an ethicist much more
persuasive from the standpoint of qualifications than I would Alice
Walker. But to dismiss her as unqualified to speak on the subject of
ethics because she is a "feminist writer" strikes me as an
unsupportable position.

Old 22-10-2003, 04:18 AM
doyle

[...]

My statement was, "She isn't qualified to proclaim animals are not for
food".
Maybe it wasn't perceived the way it was intended. IBwhatshername quoted
Alice Walker's poem.
Without authority, the proclamation is meaningless to those with opposing
opinions.

Okay, go ahead and pick this one apart too.

The Meat-Free Life: Five Reasons to be a Vegetarian and Ten Reasons Against Eating Meat Dr. Jai Maharaj[_1_] Vegan 9 25-02-2013 11:30 PM
Top Three Reasons to Eat Pie? Andy[_2_] General Cooking 61 08-06-2007 12:18 AM
top 10 reasons not to eat pigs t.racer Vegan 13 23-08-2006 01:00 PM
Own Reasons walker Barbecue 32 24-02-2006 01:16 AM
Two reasons Tech_Fiddle Vegan 20 31-10-2004 11:43 PM