BOB

Default The shame of it all

Just returned from Sam's. Their chicken is all that Perdue brined crap now.
In the past, it wasn't pre-brined.

Yes, I complained in the meat department, they had not noticed the change and
told me that their chickens were "all natural".
I handed them a package and told them to read. Shrugged shoulders. I then
explained that basically, we (as customers) are paying 12% of our chicken
money for salt water. Another shrug.

When I explained that my mother was on a sodium restricted diet, and couldn't
eat that stuff, they began to listen.

At the service counter, I complained again, explaining that we were paying
for salt water, and several other customers were listening intently, and we
all filled out the comment cards.

When I got home, I called and spoke to a manager. He was surprised, and
seemed even more surprised that the people in the meat department hadn't
noticed the difference. (yeah, right!)

I am doing my part. One person can't make a change, but the squeaky wheel...

BOB

Jack Schidt®

" BOB" > wrote in message
> Just returned from Sam's. Their chicken is all that Perdue brined crap

now.
> In the past, it wasn't pre-brined.
>
> Yes, I complained in the meat department, they had not noticed the change

and
> told me that their chickens were "all natural".
> I handed them a package and told them to read. Shrugged shoulders. I

then
> explained that basically, we (as customers) are paying 12% of our chicken
> money for salt water. Another shrug.
>
> When I explained that my mother was on a sodium restricted diet, and

couldn't
> eat that stuff, they began to listen.
>
> At the service counter, I complained again, explaining that we were paying
> for salt water, and several other customers were listening intently, and

we
> all filled out the comment cards.
>
> When I got home, I called and spoke to a manager. He was surprised, and
> seemed even more surprised that the people in the meat department hadn't
> noticed the difference. (yeah, right!)
>
> I am doing my part. One person can't make a change, but the squeaky

wheel...

> BOB

Good on you, amigo. It doesn't change if everyone stays silent.

Jack

Reg

BOB wrote:

> I am doing my part. One person can't make a change, but the squeaky wheel...

Good job, Bob. I've been doing this at my local supermarkets for
some time now, with the same results. The staff usually doesn't
know what I'm talking about.

I doubt any of my complaints will have any effect, and I'll still
have to get my meat from the only butcher left in my area. It's
worth trying though.

John O

>but the squeaky wheel...

....gets replaced first.

Oh, uhhh, nevermind. :-)

John O

notbob

On 2003-10-16, BOB > wrote:
> Just returned from Sam's. Their chicken is all that Perdue brined crap now.
> In the past, it wasn't pre-brined.
>
> I am doing my part....

I'm the local Safeway gadfly. The staff is relieved when I'm not
bitching about something. As for the brine, no doubt it's just an
excuse for the water, a cheap weight adding device used to spike ham for
decades. Now that they've taken the first step, they're not likely to
back down. I'm also starting to see "color added" on fresh(?) salmon.

I'm about ready to take up hunting, again. Shoot me a pig. Pheasant season
is next month. Any states have a wild steer season?

nb

barry

> I'm the local Safeway gadfly. The staff is relieved when I'm not
> bitching about something. As for the brine, no doubt it's just an
> excuse for the water, a cheap weight adding device used to spike ham for
> decades. Now that they've taken the first step, they're not likely to
> back down. I'm also starting to see "color added" on fresh(?) salmon.

Adding salt and water to hams and other meats is "approved" by the
government.

As for the color in salmon, there is a method I've read about whereby they
can feed the salmon a special diet for a week or two, I think, to change the
color of the meat to approximate that of wild salmon.

Ain't (the misuse) of science wonderful?

Barry

Jack Curry

Lock and load, BOB, you rock. Go forth and kick ass and don't forget to
mention that the salty ribs I got at MalWart suck too.
Jack Curry

Ben Southard

I agree; you are paying for salt water. But what is even more
important, is the texture of the meat. I can tell it apart from the
non-brined. In the area of the country that I live in, all of Kroger's
(large supermarket chain) pork products are soaked in a sodium
solution. They suck! It greatly changes the texture. The butts don't
come out the same. I have made it a habit for some time now, not to
buy any meat products that have been injected. You will see a
difference!
David Spradling

" BOB" > wrote in message
> Just returned from Sam's. Their chicken is all that Perdue brined crap

now.
> In the past, it wasn't pre-brined.
>
> Yes, I complained in the meat department, they had not noticed the change

and
> told me that their chickens were "all natural".
> I handed them a package and told them to read. Shrugged shoulders. I

then
> explained that basically, we (as customers) are paying 12% of our chicken
> money for salt water. Another shrug.
>
> When I explained that my mother was on a sodium restricted diet, and

couldn't
> eat that stuff, they began to listen.
>
> At the service counter, I complained again, explaining that we were paying
> for salt water, and several other customers were listening intently, and

we
> all filled out the comment cards.
>
> When I got home, I called and spoke to a manager. He was surprised, and
> seemed even more surprised that the people in the meat department hadn't
> noticed the difference. (yeah, right!)
>
> I am doing my part. One person can't make a change, but the squeaky

wheel...

> BOB
>
> Wal-Mart is the same everything I saw even the beef and pork had 8-12%

added.
I now buy all from local shop.

Matthew L. Martin

BOB wrote:

> Just returned from Sam's. Their chicken is all that Perdue brined crap now.
> In the past, it wasn't pre-brined.

Is there a BJ's Club nearby. They carry a small amount of pre-brined
Perdue and the rest of the chicken is unbrined Perdue. Take your
business to those that sell what you want to buy.

Hopefully, your volume will ramp up so you can buy direct from the
wholesalers.

Matthew

--
<http://www.mlmartin.com/bbq/>

Thermodynamics For Dummies: You can't win.
You can't break even.
You can't get out of the game.

Spud

Our Sam's (Fresno CA) sells locally killed, fresh Foster Farms chickens.
You pay the postage, I'll mail you a twin pack.

Spud

Jack Schidt®

"Spud" > wrote in message
> Our Sam's (Fresno CA) sells locally killed, fresh Foster Farms chickens.
> You pay the postage, I'll mail you a twin pack.
>
> Spud

Thanks, but the FedEx overnight would double the price.

Jack

Big Jim

" BOB" > wrote in message
> Just returned from Sam's. Their chicken is all that Perdue brined crap

now.
> In the past, it wasn't pre-brined.
>
> Yes, I complained in the meat department, I then
> explained that basically, we (as customers) are paying 12% of our chicken
> money for salt water
> At the service counter, I complained again, explaining that we were paying
> for salt water, and several other customers were listening intently, and

we
> all filled out the comment cards.
>
> When I got home, I called and spoke to a manager. He was surprised, and
> seemed even more surprised that the people in the meat department hadn't
> noticed the difference. (yeah, right!)
>
> I am doing my part. One person can't make a change, but the squeaky

wheel...

> BOB

OK here is another view. I too bitched about paying for the 12% solution.
But it didn't do any good. Then one of the meat people brought to my
attention that if they weighed the chickens, I would have to pay more for
them. Then I noticed that all the packs of chickens were priced the same.
$5.13 per pack of 2 birds. The weight printed on the bag is 7.66 pounds. I
pulled a bag out of the case and had them weigh it. 9.6 pounds, 2 pounds
more than the package said. Pulled one at the store and weighed it this
morning and it was 8# 12 oz. All the cases are marked at $29.33 per case.
Had them weigh a case, it would have cost me $33.47 if they weighed and
priced the case. Sure don't look like they charging us for the change. I
have had several people say they don't know what I am doing to the chicken
but don't change it.
Looks like in my case it is to my benefit. I am cooking 5-6 case's a week,
so looks like I am saving a few bucks.

--
Big Jim

www.lazyq.com

Bill Funk

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 22:48:58 GMT, "Big Jim" >
wrote:

>" BOB" > wrote in message
.. .
>> Just returned from Sam's. Their chicken is all that Perdue brined crap

>now.
>> In the past, it wasn't pre-brined.
>>
>> Yes, I complained in the meat department, I then
>> explained that basically, we (as customers) are paying 12% of our chicken
>> money for salt water
>> At the service counter, I complained again, explaining that we were paying
>> for salt water, and several other customers were listening intently, and

>we
>> all filled out the comment cards.
>>
>> When I got home, I called and spoke to a manager. He was surprised, and
>> seemed even more surprised that the people in the meat department hadn't
>> noticed the difference. (yeah, right!)
>>
>> I am doing my part. One person can't make a change, but the squeaky

>wheel...
>>
>> BOB
>>

>OK here is another view. I too bitched about paying for the 12% solution.
>But it didn't do any good. Then one of the meat people brought to my
>attention that if they weighed the chickens, I would have to pay more for
>them. Then I noticed that all the packs of chickens were priced the same.
>$5.13 per pack of 2 birds. The weight printed on the bag is 7.66 pounds. I
>pulled a bag out of the case and had them weigh it. 9.6 pounds, 2 pounds
>more than the package said. Pulled one at the store and weighed it this
>morning and it was 8# 12 oz. All the cases are marked at $29.33 per case.
>Had them weigh a case, it would have cost me $33.47 if they weighed and
>priced the case. Sure don't look like they charging us for the change. I
>have had several people say they don't know what I am doing to the chicken
>but don't change it.
> Looks like in my case it is to my benefit. I am cooking 5-6 case's a week,
>so looks like I am saving a few bucks.

So they are falsely labeling the chickens.
Yeah, *this time* it's in the customer's favor.
If they do this on purpose, what's in it for them?
Where are they making it up? What are they mislabeling *in their
favor*?
Yup, I'm a spoiler.

Big Jim

"Bill Funk" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 22:48:58
>
> So they are falsely labeling the chickens.
> Yeah, *this time* it's in the customer's favor.
> If they do this on purpose, what's in it for them?
> Where are they making it up? What are they mislabeling *in their
> favor*?
> Yup, I'm a spoiler.

Meat guy says they averaged the chicken weights (Perdue, not Sam's) to come
up with the weight. The 7.66 # is printed on the bag not on the price
sticker.
I have no clue why they are doing it this way. I will find out more
tomorrow when I go pick up my chicken for the weekend.
--
Big Jim

www.lazyq.com

aussie Shame Aussie Hero General Cooking 2 01-02-2011 05:59 PM
Shame on McDonalds! Corey Richardson[_3_] General Cooking 45 14-10-2008 01:47 PM
Shame on you Hormel Dave[_25_] General Cooking 71 14-02-2008 10:23 PM
hurricane shame NJ Brown Barbecue 0 14-08-2004 01:10 AM
The Shame BOB General Cooking 9 21-10-2003 05:43 AM