FoodBanter.com

-   -   grilling on the K (https://www.foodbanter.com/barbecue/19082-grilling-k.html)

Jeneen Sommers 16-10-2003 08:23 PM

grilling on the K

Hi Everyone -

I've had a Kamado for a few years now, and have
smoked some _great_ food. But I have little experience
grilling on it, mainly because the grate is a little
too far from the coals (or maybe I just don't know
what I'm doing).

Despite that, I've promised to grill some beef for
friends this weekend and was hoping to find a good
recipe on kamado.com where the grate-to-coals distance
might have been worked into the recipe technique.
I can't find the recipe link. Sigh. Can some kind
soul out there either point me to the Kamado recipie
link, or post a favorite recipe? I'm looking for
something flavorful, but not too spicy.

Thanks guys!

Jeneen

BOB 16-10-2003 08:37 PM

grilling on the K

Jeneen Sommers typed:
> Hi Everyone -
>
> I've had a Kamado for a few years now, and have
> smoked some _great_ food. But I have little experience
> grilling on it, mainly because the grate is a little
> too far from the coals (or maybe I just don't know
> what I'm doing).
>
> Despite that, I've promised to grill some beef for
> friends this weekend and was hoping to find a good
> recipe on kamado.com where the grate-to-coals distance
> might have been worked into the recipe technique.
> I can't find the recipe link. Sigh. Can some kind
> soul out there either point me to the Kamado recipie
> link, or post a favorite recipe? I'm looking for
> something flavorful, but not too spicy.
>
> Thanks guys!
>
> Jeneen

Just fill it up with lump, and the fire will be closer to the grill.
Here's the link you asked for, I think:
http://www.kamado.com/cgi-bin/discus/discus.cgi
Maybe, more specifically this:
http://www.kamado.com/discus/message...tml?1066173013

You have to register to post there, (not to read) but ask any and all
questions and you'll get more answers than you can use.

BOB

Kevin S. Wilson 16-10-2003 08:38 PM

grilling on the K

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 12:23:18 -0700, Jeneen Sommers
> wrote:

>I've had a Kamado for a few years now, and have
>smoked some _great_ food. But I have little experience
>grilling on it, mainly because the grate is a little
>too far from the coals (or maybe I just don't know
>what I'm doing).
>
>Despite that, I've promised to grill some beef for
>friends this weekend and was hoping to find a good
>recipe on kamado.com where the grate-to-coals distance
>might have been worked into the recipe technique.
>I can't find the recipe link. Sigh. Can some kind
>soul out there either point me to the Kamado recipie
>link, or post a favorite recipe? I'm looking for
>something flavorful, but not too spicy.

Don't have a recipe, just some general advice. You don't say what kind
of Kamado you have, but I'm guessing it's either a 5 or a 7 if you're
concerned about the distance from the fire to the grill. Either way,
you don't have a problem.

The distance isn't too great; your fire is too small. You want to get
the dome temp up to 550 or 600 F for grilling. Fill up the firebox
with lump, add a couple chunks of hardwood or fruitwood, and then open
top and bottom dampers all the way. In 20 minutes or so, you should be
well on your way to 550 or 600 F.

Try grilling a tri-tip, dusted with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a University Somewhere in Idaho

Jeneen Sommers 16-10-2003 09:09 PM

grilling on the K

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003, Kevin S. Wilson wrote:

> The distance isn't too great; your fire is too small. You want to get
> the dome temp up to 550 or 600 F for grilling. Fill up the firebox
> with lump, add a couple chunks of hardwood or fruitwood, and then open
> top and bottom dampers all the way. In 20 minutes or so, you should be
> well on your way to 550 or 600 F.

Ahh...I knew you guys would have the secret. It's a #7, and you're right -
I make the fire too small for grilling, probably out of fear of the air
holes plugging up. I managed to do that shortly after I got it, and when
I opened the top giant flames came out, inscinerating my pork and taking
several tiles off. I haven't had that happen since, so I guess it's time
to get over it and start piling the wood in.

Thanks Kevin & Bob!

Jeneen

Jack Curry 16-10-2003 09:10 PM

grilling on the K

Jeneen Sommers wrote:
> Hi Everyone -
>
> I've had a Kamado for a few years now, and have
> smoked some _great_ food. But I have little experience
> grilling on it, mainly because the grate is a little
> too far from the coals (or maybe I just don't know
> what I'm doing).
>
> Despite that, I've promised to grill some beef for
> friends this weekend and was hoping to find a good
> recipe on kamado.com where the grate-to-coals distance
> might have been worked into the recipe technique.
> I can't find the recipe link. Sigh. Can some kind
> soul out there either point me to the Kamado recipie
> link, or post a favorite recipe? I'm looking for
> something flavorful, but not too spicy.
>
> Thanks guys!
>
> Jeneen

BOB and Kevin have already given you good advice on temperatures and fire
management, so here's a favorite of mine when it comes to cooking a steak.
Soak it in Lauriat dark soy sauce from the Phillippines for about 15 minutes
before cooking. That's all it takes. Not spicy, but a terrific flavor.
Jack Curry

Louis Cohen 17-10-2003 02:52 AM

grilling on the K

550-600° is great for grilling thin stuff, like chicken breasts, steaks (1-1
1/2" thick), burgers, etc. But isn't that a bit too hot for a thick
tri-tip? I like to do mine at around 400°.

--

Regards

Louis Cohen
Living la vida loca at N37° 43' 7.9" W122° 8' 42.8"

JBSummer 17-10-2003 03:21 AM

grilling on the K

Jeneen, go to the Kamado forum and bookmark it. Tons of great advice there.

Jim

Oncler 17-10-2003 03:23 AM

grilling on the K

Jack Curry wrote:
> Jeneen Sommers wrote:
>> Hi Everyone -
>>
>> I've had a Kamado for a few years now, and have
>> smoked some _great_ food. But I have little experience
>> grilling on it, mainly because the grate is a little
>> too far from the coals (or maybe I just don't know
>> what I'm doing).

Should have bought a WSM ??? :-)

BOB 17-10-2003 03:52 AM

grilling on the K

In ,
Oncler > typed:
> Jack Curry wrote:
>> Jeneen Sommers wrote:
>>> Hi Everyone -
>>>
>>> I've had a Kamado for a few years now, and have
>>> smoked some _great_ food. But I have little experience
>>> grilling on it, mainly because the grate is a little
>>> too far from the coals (or maybe I just don't know
>>> what I'm doing).

> Should have bought a WSM ??? :-)

Phhggbbtttttt!---

BOB

Olde Hippee 26-10-2003 03:27 PM

grilling on the K

that was called a backflash, and you avoid it by opening the lid just an
inch or so and wait 30 seconds and then open it real slow the rest of the
way. Don't know why the guys didn't tell you that, but we girls'll stick
together!!
I just did my first turkey on the k, a #5, Friday. Stuffed it just like i
do inside, and it was the best bird I've ever had. this was a dry run for
Thanksgiving and it was a huge success. Juicy, tender, falling off the
bones. hooray for me. The gas attachment makes it so easy for me to
light it. Now I know I can do ribs, or even a brisket before hubby gets
home. Whoopee!! And I ordered him the bbq guru(see website
www.bbqguru.com ) for Christmas. I'm sure I'll enjoy it too, now that
I've done it by myself once.
Nanzi

Kevin S. Wilson 26-10-2003 04:19 PM

grilling on the K

On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 15:27:45 GMT, "Olde Hippee" >
wrote:

>that was called a backflash,

Or "flashback."

For everything you need to know about flashback and how to avoid it,
see the following site:

http://www.geocities.com/thenakedwhiz/flash.htm

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a University Somewhere in Idaho
"Who put these fingerprints on my imagination?"