Bob

Default use of Rosemary herb

We have a Rosemary bush in the back yard. It is a couple years old and
doing quite well. I love the
aroma. Was wondering if anyone knows any good uses for it in Q'ing. I
thought about putting a
few sprigs on the coals, but really don't think that would do much.

Also thought about cutting a few limbs and drying it and then crushing it
with a rolling pin. Then what?

Anyone have any good ideas? Thanks

Jack Schidt®

"Bob" > wrote in message
nk.net...
> We have a Rosemary bush in the back yard. It is a couple years old and
> doing quite well. I love the
> aroma. Was wondering if anyone knows any good uses for it in Q'ing.

> thought about putting a
> few sprigs on the coals, but really don't think that would do much.
>
> Also thought about cutting a few limbs and drying it and then crushing it
> with a rolling pin. Then what?
>
> Anyone have any good ideas? Thanks

A little rosemary goes a long way so think pinches and not tablespoons. It
especially shines when used with lamb or pork and even better if used
together with garlic (which a little goes some way, but a lot goes a lot
longer!). Another good combo is chicken-lemon-garlic-rosemary.

Jack

BOB

Bob typed:
> We have a Rosemary bush in the back yard. It is a couple years old and
> doing quite well. I love the
> aroma. Was wondering if anyone knows any good uses for it in Q'ing.

> thought about putting a
> few sprigs on the coals, but really don't think that would do much.
>
> Also thought about cutting a few limbs and drying it and then crushing it
> with a rolling pin. Then what?
>
> Anyone have any good ideas? Thanks

Throw the dry limbs on the fire with fish or lamb.

BOB

Bill

BOB wrote:

> Bob typed:
> > We have a Rosemary bush in the back yard. It is a couple years old and
> > doing quite well. I love the
> > aroma. Was wondering if anyone knows any good uses for it in Q'ing.

> > thought about putting a
> > few sprigs on the coals, but really don't think that would do much.
> >
> > Also thought about cutting a few limbs and drying it and then crushing it
> > with a rolling pin. Then what?
> >
> > Anyone have any good ideas? Thanks

> Throw the dry limbs on the fire with fish or lamb.
>
> BOB

I have seen several recipes where the sprigs are skewered thru what is being
cooked like a kabob stick. Never tried it but if you like rosemary taste I
suspect that would give you a large dose of it.

Graeme Walker

"Jack Schidt®" > wrote in message .com>...
> "Bob" > wrote in message
> nk.net...
> > We have a Rosemary bush in the back yard. It is a couple years old and
> > doing quite well. I love the
> > aroma. Was wondering if anyone knows any good uses for it in Q'ing.

> > thought about putting a
> > few sprigs on the coals, but really don't think that would do much.
> >
> > Also thought about cutting a few limbs and drying it and then crushing it
> > with a rolling pin. Then what?
> >
> > Anyone have any good ideas? Thanks
> >

> A little rosemary goes a long way so think pinches and not tablespoons. It
> especially shines when used with lamb or pork and even better if used
> together with garlic (which a little goes some way, but a lot goes a lot
> longer!). Another good combo is chicken-lemon-garlic-rosemary.
>
> Jack

Bob,
A particular favourite in the UK is to get a lamb shoulder (or 1/2 a
leg). Have your butcher bone & tie it and make about 20-30 small
incisions all over the meat. Push a small sprig of rosemary and a
small piece of garlic into each incision (You'll find that the garlic
pushes the rosemary into the meat) Marinate in olive oil for an hour
or so then roast in the oven for about 1 hour then finish off on the
BBQ.
Works well with mint sauce.
Also, your rosemary bush will benefit from a good pruning each autumn.
This encourages new growth in the spring and stops your bush becoming
to "woody". Dry the cuttings and keep for further use

Tom72735

wonderful with lamb, use the branches as skewers for scallops and shrimp
Prettyn good rubbed on roast chicken too Italians use it a lot in cooking
Graeme Walker

Bill > wrote in message >...
> BOB wrote:
>
> > Bob typed:
> > > We have a Rosemary bush in the back yard. It is a couple years old and
> > > doing quite well. I love the
> > > aroma. Was wondering if anyone knows any good uses for it in Q'ing.

> > > thought about putting a
> > > few sprigs on the coals, but really don't think that would do much.
> > >
> > > Also thought about cutting a few limbs and drying it and then crushing it
> > > with a rolling pin. Then what?
> > >
> > > Anyone have any good ideas? Thanks

> > Throw the dry limbs on the fire with fish or lamb.
> >
> > BOB

> I have seen several recipes where the sprigs are skewered thru what is being
> cooked like a kabob stick. Never tried it but if you like rosemary taste I
> suspect that would give you a large dose of it.

The Kabob stick (or Kabab stick) should use small square cuts of lamb,
skewered with the rosemery impregnated in the lamb prior to putting on
the BBQ Its whats the turks and greeks know as a rosemary shish kebab
Kent H.

Leg of Lamb on the grill

Bob wrote:

> We have a Rosemary bush in the back yard. It is a couple years old and
> doing quite well. I love the
> aroma. Was wondering if anyone knows any good uses for it in Q'ing. I
> thought about putting a
> few sprigs on the coals, but really don't think that would do much.
>
> Also thought about cutting a few limbs and drying it and then crushing it
> with a rolling pin. Then what?
>
> Anyone have any good ideas? Thanks

Kswck

Bob wrote:

> We have a Rosemary bush in the back yard. It is a couple years old and
> doing quite well. I love the
> aroma. Was wondering if anyone knows any good uses for it in Q'ing. I
> thought about putting a
> few sprigs on the coals, but really don't think that would do much.
>
> Also thought about cutting a few limbs and drying it and then crushing it
> with a rolling pin. Then what?
>
> Anyone have any good ideas? Thanks

A couple of things. How about alternating the fresh rosemary with

lamb chunks and cooking on a skewer? Or imbedding the lamb with the
rosemary?
I've seen packages of dried & ground rosemary you can add to smoking
woods while soaking, but I really don't know if that works.

Olde Hippee

Put a whole sprig of it under the skin of chicken before roasting, and
remove before serving. It gives the chicken a wonderful flavor. I also
put, under the skin, a marinade of basil, balsamic vinegar, garlic,
adolphs meat tenderizer, freshly ground pepper and a tsp of sugar. Then
baste the bird with the same marinade.try it, you'll like it!!!
Marinate just a few hours or overnight.

--
Olde Hippee
Life's Riches Other Rooms Adorn,

Rosemary Steve B[_7_] General Cooking 47 10-03-2010 03:14 AM
Why is rosemary ............. Steve B[_6_] General Cooking 27 29-12-2009 02:25 AM
Rosemary uses? cshenk General Cooking 44 16-03-2009 06:54 PM
rosemary Gill Smith General Cooking 42 12-02-2009 07:14 PM
Rosemary-Herb Roasted Turkey Sandy U. Recipes (moderated) 0 04-12-2006 03:33 AM