Fyrepup

Default WSM Questions

Hi All!

Took everyone's advice and bought a WSM (through Virtual Weber Bullet). It
had been awhile since I'd smoked with charcoal seeing that I had used an
electric smoker for the past few years.

Smoked my first ribs on it this past weekend. They turned out better than I
had expected. Used Oak and Pecan for my smoking woods.

Outdoor Temp was 70 degrees with a slight wind. A beautiful day.

A couple of questions...

I used quite a bit of charcoal (around 10 lbs.) to keep my fire at 250.
Every time I closed my lower vents, my temp went way down. My top vent
stayed open throughout. For the most part, my lower vents stayed open
throughout also.

I was always under the impression that the good thing about the WSM was that
once you filled the charcoal pan, it was fine for several hours.

Did I just goof up or what?

Thanks guys

Fyrepup

blues Lyne

"Fyrepup" > wrote in message
> Hi All!
>
> Took everyone's advice and bought a WSM (through Virtual Weber Bullet). It
> had been awhile since I'd smoked with charcoal seeing that I had used an
> electric smoker for the past few years.
>
> Smoked my first ribs on it this past weekend. They turned out better than

> had expected. Used Oak and Pecan for my smoking woods.
>
> Outdoor Temp was 70 degrees with a slight wind. A beautiful day.
>
> A couple of questions...
>
> I used quite a bit of charcoal (around 10 lbs.) to keep my fire at 250.
> Every time I closed my lower vents, my temp went way down. My top vent
> stayed open throughout. For the most part, my lower vents stayed open
> throughout also.
>
> I was always under the impression that the good thing about the WSM was

that
> once you filled the charcoal pan, it was fine for several hours.
>
> Did I just goof up or what?
>
> Thanks guys
>
> Fyrepup

Hmm. I've done a 7.5 hour cook on one chimney of charcoal in my WSM. I
often only have the bottom vents open 1/4 to 1/3 of the way for a good bit
of the smoke. I don't have tons of experience like some here. I've only
had the WSM since mid summer, but it's seen a lot of use in that time. From
my experience and from the research that I've done, your situation seems a
little odd. But unfortunately this won't help you figure out why.

Good luck,
Blues

Thomas Mooney

Fyrepup > wrote in message
> Hi All!
>
> Outdoor Temp was 70 degrees with a slight wind. A beautiful day.

1) My experience is that the wind has a significant impact on temperature
maintenance and hence fuel usage.

2) Lump or briquettes? FYI: We're predominantly lump fans around here.

--
TFM3

Note: Spam-resistant e-mail address

Buzz1

"Fyrepup" > wrote in message
> Hi All!
>
> A couple of questions...
>
> I used quite a bit of charcoal (around 10 lbs.) to keep my fire at 250.
> Every time I closed my lower vents, my temp went way down. My top vent
> stayed open throughout. For the most part, my lower vents stayed open
> throughout also.

I don't measure the temp as a rule--just fill the pan with lump, add about a
1/4 chimney or so of lump--leave all the vents open for about 20 min or
so--add the meat, then I shut the bottom vents (they do leak) and walk away
from the wsm. Can usually tell by how hot the lid is if the temp is aobut
what ya want and don't even look at your butt, brisket or whatever 'till the
time you think it should be done. Of course at a contest I do pay much
closer attention--but it isn't necessary for good 'que

> I was always under the impression that the good thing about the WSM was

that
> once you filled the charcoal pan, it was fine for several hours.

you should beable to get at least 12 hrs on a load of lump and even more on
Kinsford

all of the above is the way it is done in my yard--experimenting a good part
of the fun!!

Buzz

JL

"Fyrepup" > wrote in message
> I used quite a bit of charcoal (around 10 lbs.) to keep my fire at 250.
> Every time I closed my lower vents, my temp went way down. My top vent
> stayed open throughout. For the most part, my lower vents stayed open
> throughout also.
>
> I was always under the impression that the good thing about the WSM was

that
> once you filled the charcoal pan, it was fine for several hours.
>
> Did I just goof up or what?

Use the Minion method.

Oncler

>> I used quite a bit of charcoal (around 10 lbs.) to keep my fire at
>> 250. Every time I closed my lower vents, my temp went way down. My
>> top vent stayed open throughout. For the most part, my lower vents
>> stayed open throughout also.

I keep my top vent all the way open, and 2 of the three bottom vents open a
crack--adjusting as needed... closing the bottom vents down all the way
would snuff the fire...(that's what I do when I'm done cookin')

Questions for all [email protected] Barbecue 4 22-01-2011 07:26 PM
Questions for all Pico Rico Barbecue 7 16-01-2011 12:30 AM
After the Deletion of Google Answers U Got Questions Fills the Gap Answering and Asking the Tough Questions Linux Flash Drives General Cooking 0 07-05-2007 06:38 PM
So hey, I have a few questions Peri Meno General Cooking 17 07-10-2006 08:30 PM
2 questions Steph G.B General Cooking 8 20-01-2004 03:48 AM