Victor & Toni Jo Friedmann

Default Brisket Recipe

I would like a recipe for barbecued brisket that is as good as the juicy,
tasty brisket I had at the Salt Lick in Austin, TX. Anyone out there?

Thanks,

Vic

BOB

Victor Friedmann typed:
> I would like a recipe for barbecued brisket that is as good as the juicy,
> tasty brisket I had at the Salt Lick in Austin, TX. Anyone out there?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Vic

It's probably more of the cooking technique than any recipe.
I don't really want to duplicate anything that I've eaten from any
restuarant, because I know I can do better.

Rub the brisket with the dry rub of your choice. This past weekend, I used a
commercial rub for the first time. We attended a Q-fest where we all cooked
on ceramic smokers, and my nephew won a basket of "Dizzy Pig" rubs. (
http://www.dizzypigbbq.com/) We used the "Cow Lick" rub for the brisket that
I started cooking @ about 10 PM. Fat side *DOWN* towards the heat. Set the
Kamado to about 225 and let it do the hard work with a couple of chunks of
apple wood. At about 8:30 the next morning, when I drove up, people were
telling me that the brisket was tyhe best breakfast that they'd had in a long
time (thanks, RumRunner).
I checked the internal temps...199 in the flat. Time to remove it from the
K.
171 in the point...let it continue.
I sliced the flat (sometimes across the grain, sometimes not quite across)
and left to go back to the cabin for other things for the day's cooking. I
got to taste one slice from the flat before I left. Good thing, too because
they had eaten the whole thing before I got back.
(That's what I like about Q-Fest/cook-ins...cook gets the first bite, but he
better be quick, because it's fair game after that)
The brisket was so juicy that when I cut the flat from the point, a stream of
juice poured out, killing half the fire.
Later, when the point reached 195, I removed it and sliced. It was
excellent, but not as juicy as the flat. Might have been because the juice
drained out, maybe because I stopped @ 195. I suspect a combination of both.

Like I said, though, cook low and slow, fat towards the fire, until the
internal temp reaches about 199. The particular rub isn't as important as
the technique. But the "Dizzy Pig" Cow Lick" was excellent. For those of
you that frequent other forums, that's Nature Boy's rub.

BOB

butch burton

snip

> Like I said, though, cook low and slow, fat towards the fire, until the
> internal temp reaches about 199. The particular rub isn't as important as
> the technique. But the "Dizzy Pig" Cow Lick" was excellent. For those of
> you that frequent other forums, that's Nature Boy's rub.
>
> BOB

Smoke my brisket fat side up and it works very well because of the
full set of baffles in the beast-smoke and heat come down from above.
Very tasty and juicy. I would suggest making your own rubs-most of
them contain way too much sugar and salt. Great recipes in the
faq-and blending your own spices is kinda cool. Grind some of my
spices in a whirly bird/blade grinder.

Will probably smoke a 10#+ brisket and a 20#+ ham on Friday-just
finishing up insulating my offset smoker with fiberglass-will see how
that goes.
BOB

butch burton typed:
> snip
>>
>> Like I said, though, cook low and slow, fat towards the fire, until the
>> internal temp reaches about 199. The particular rub isn't as important as
>> the technique. But the "Dizzy Pig" Cow Lick" was excellent. For those of
>> you that frequent other forums, that's Nature Boy's rub.
>>
>> BOB

> Smoke my brisket fat side up and it works very well because of the
> full set of baffles in the beast-smoke and heat come down from above.
> Very tasty and juicy. I would suggest making your own rubs-most of
> them contain way too much sugar and salt. Great recipes in the
> faq-and blending your own spices is kinda cool. Grind some of my
> spices in a whirly bird/blade grinder.
>
> Will probably smoke a 10#+ brisket and a 20#+ ham on Friday-just
> finishing up insulating my offset smoker with fiberglass-will see how
> that goes.

We're saying the same thing...fat towards the heat source.

I do usually make my own rubs, but this was a "Door Prize" and reading the
labels Saturday night (I don't have them now, my nephew won them and took
them home with him) salt is down the list in the "Dizzy Pig" rubs that I
used. There were lots of commercially made samples, and most of them had
salt first. Almost nobody used the salty ones.

Good luck with the insulation, but keep it away from the food! Brisket and
ham will be great.

BOB

Brisket Recipe Kent[_2_] Barbecue 8 06-03-2010 07:10 AM
RECIPE FOR BRISKET? TINKERBELL CSN General Cooking 3 17-01-2008 07:16 AM
Recipe: Rev. Belly's Beef Brisket Mike \Piedmont\ Barbecue 0 30-10-2005 11:25 AM
Braised brisket recipe??? Paul & Robin Barrett General Cooking 3 13-11-2004 01:22 AM
Excellent Brisket Recipe Alan S Barbecue 2 22-06-2004 08:23 PM