Ch

Default Tabasco Wood Chips

Any one try the Tabasco Wood Chips? (From the barrels used to ferment
Tabasco Sauce)
If so, what kind of taste does it impart?
Thanks.

Jack Schidt®

"Ch" > wrote in message
> Any one try the Tabasco Wood Chips? (From the barrels used to ferment
> Tabasco Sauce)
> If so, what kind of taste does it impart?
> Thanks.

If you can get them for free, tastes great. If you have to pay, it tastes
mighty gimmicky.

Jack

21Twelve

"Ch" > wrote in message
> Any one try the Tabasco Wood Chips? (From the barrels used to ferment
> Tabasco Sauce)
> If so, what kind of taste does it impart?
> Thanks.

As Mr. Schidt implied, it's a marketing gimmick...I picked some up cheap on
closeout. I couldn't tell any difference between them and regular oak (I
think they're oak) chips.

David

Jack Curry

Jack Schidt® wrote:
> "Ch" > wrote in message
>> Any one try the Tabasco Wood Chips? (From the barrels used to ferment
>> Tabasco Sauce)
>> If so, what kind of taste does it impart?
>> Thanks.
>>

> If you can get them for free, tastes great. If you have to pay, it
> tastes mighty gimmicky.
>
> Jack

Same as the Jack Daniels wood chips. They smell great unburned, but when
they hit the flames, the bourbon smell is gone in a flash.
Jack Curry

John O

> > If you can get them for free, tastes great. If you have to pay, it
> > tastes mighty gimmicky.
> >
> > Jack

> Same as the Jack Daniels wood chips. They smell great unburned, but when
> they hit the flames, the bourbon smell is gone in a flash.

I picked up a couple bags at Walmart for $1 each. That's pretty close to
free.

They smell like stale bourbon, that's for sure.

John O

Jason

"21Twelve" > wrote in message news:<yEzib.16579$hp5.2991@fed1read04>...
> As Mr. Schidt implied, it's a marketing gimmick...I picked some up cheap on
> closeout. I couldn't tell any difference between them and regular oak (I
> think they're oak) chips.

I concur, sadly and wholeheartedly.

It just makes sense that it would work as described. I mean, this wood
has been in contact with an extremely flavorful and strong substance
for years. Yet, I could tell no difference whatsoever between Tabasco
and regular oak chips.

I guess it also makes sense that the process of burning removes all of
that flavor or those flavors just don't make the "smoke to meat"
transition, too.

Get them, but don't pay any more than regular oak chips for them.
Phil Anderson

"Jason" > wrote in message
om...
> "21Twelve" > wrote in message

> > As Mr. Schidt implied, it's a marketing gimmick...I picked

some up cheap on
> > closeout. I couldn't tell any difference between them and

regular oak (I
> > think they're oak) chips.

> I concur, sadly and wholeheartedly.
>
> It just makes sense that it would work as described. I mean,

this wood
> has been in contact with an extremely flavorful and strong

substance
> for years. Yet, I could tell no difference whatsoever between

Tabasco
> and regular oak chips.
>
> I guess it also makes sense that the process of burning removes

all of
> that flavor or those flavors just don't make the "smoke to meat"
> transition, too.
>
> Get them, but don't pay any more than regular oak chips for

them.

Oh, I dunno, I detected a difference. Cain't say as I liked the
difference, since things mostly just tasted 'dirtier,' but I
thought there was a difference.

Wood chips on gas Dasco[_2_] Barbecue 7 20-08-2008 12:56 AM
making wood chips hankus Barbecue 5 11-08-2006 09:41 PM
How often to add wood chips? ceed Barbecue 13 02-08-2005 03:46 AM
Wood chips for smoke? mtbchip Barbecue 7 18-01-2005 11:09 AM
Wood Chips Mick Barbecue 13 01-02-2004 09:13 PM