Johnny

Default Another Pork Butt Question

Is the fat cap on top during smoking?

Johnny in Huntsville

Jimbo

makes it self basting yes !!!

"Johnny" > wrote in message
> Is the fat cap on top during smoking?
>

> Johnny in Huntsville

Buzz1

"Johnny" > wrote in message
> Is the fat cap on top during smoking?
>

> Johnny in Huntsville

I almost always take the capff--more than enuf internal fat to keep the
meat moist--imo of course

Buzz

Ricky

"Johnny" > wrote in message
> Is the fat cap on top during smoking?
>

> Johnny in Huntsville

Always fat on top.

Jack Schidt®

"Johnny" > wrote in message
> Is the fat cap on top during smoking?
>

> Johnny in Huntsville

I do the cap on top and score it with a knife so it's all purty with that
diamond pattern.

Jack

Cuchulain Libby

"Johnny" > wrote in message
> Is the fat cap on top during smoking?

Depends. Where is the heat coming from in your cooker?

-Hound

JOE MCC

"Cuchulain Libby" > wrote in message

> "Johnny" > wrote in message
> > Is the fat cap on top during smoking?

> Depends. Where is the heat coming from in your cooker?
>
> -Hound

I have to ask....what does that change? I think gravity would play the
largest role. You have me thinking now.

JoeMcc

Cuchulain Libby

"JOE MCC" > wrote
> I have to ask....what does that change? I think gravity would play the
> largest role. You have me thinking now.

Put the fat between the heat and the meat. Garavity is only part of it,
liquid runs from heat. Next time you grill a steak, look at the top, see the
juices? Ever pan-fried a steak, chicken?

-Hound

F.G. Whitfurrows

"Cuchulain Libby" > wrote in message

> "JOE MCC" > wrote
> > I have to ask....what does that change? I think gravity would play the
> > largest role. You have me thinking now.

> Put the fat between the heat and the meat. Garavity is only part of it,
> liquid runs from heat. Next time you grill a steak, look at the top, see

the
> juices? Ever pan-fried a steak, chicken?
>
> -Hound

Damn, Hound! You go to college or somethin'? I never figgered that shit out,
and I was recently elevated to BBQ God status. Damn. Guess I still gotta lot
to learn, after all.

--
Fosco Gamgee Whitfurrows
and his 6" boner

Cuchulain Libby

"F.G. Whitfurrows" > wrote
> Damn, Hound! You go to college or somethin'? I never figgered that shit

out,
> and I was recently elevated to BBQ God status. Damn. Guess I still gotta

lot
> to learn, after all.

Nah, just concentrated on what the hell I wuz doing. Welcome to BBQ PhD...

-Hound

Look, not to brag, but I just cooked three slabs in the LazyQ for 6 hours
(top right quadrant - the hottest shelf I'm guessing). Checked the ribs
thrice for the **** of it it ( bone up ) and monkeyed with the fire about 5
times. It gets easier the more you know/do. Those that et 'em proclaimed
'em... Oh yea, used mesquite too <G>

Brick

<snipped a bunch of stuff>

and then hound said,

> Look, not to brag, but I just cooked three slabs in the LazyQ for 6

hours
> (top right quadrant - the hottest shelf I'm guessing). Checked the

ribs
> thrice for the **** of it it ( bone up ) and monkeyed with the fire

about 5
> times. It gets easier the more you know/do. Those that et 'em

proclaimed
> 'em... Oh yea, used mesquite too <G>

Glad to hear someone is having some success. Did a briskette flat and
rack of beef back ribs last friday. Used all wood logs in the NB pit.
Combination of oak and orange. The ribs came off in under three hours.
The flat took eight to reach 190°. Lousiest (sic) 'Q' I ever cooked.
The ribs were over cooked and the flat wouldn't pull, tasted like
cardboard
and had a consistency to match. I shoulda took pic's and just lied
about
the result. The meat *looked* good when I took it off.

Hound, what size wood do you prefer? I think my stuff is too big to be
useful in a small fire. (3 to 4" diameter.) I'm thinking 2" diameter
would
be easier to control.

Brick

frohe

Brick wrote:
> Combination of oak and orange.
> Hound, what size wood do you prefer? I think my stuff is too big to be
> useful in a small fire. (3 to 4" diameter.) I'm thinking 2" diameter
> would be easier to control.

Brick - I think it's the orange wood not the size of your chunks.
--
-frohe
Life is too short to be in a hurry

BOB

"Cuchulain Libby"...

me thinking now.

> Put the fat between the heat and the meat. Garavity is only part of it,
> liquid runs from heat. Next time you grill a steak, look at the top, see

the
> juices? Ever pan-fried a steak, chicken?
>
> -Hound

YES! YES!YES!

What Hound said.
Fat between the meat and the HEAT

BOB

BOB

Cuchulain Libby typed:
> Look, not to brag, but I just cooked three slabs in the LazyQ for 6 hours
> (top right quadrant - the hottest shelf I'm guessing). Checked the ribs
> thrice for the **** of it it ( bone up ) and monkeyed with the fire about 5
> times. It gets easier the more you know/do. Those that et 'em proclaimed
> 'em... Oh yea, used mesquite too <G>

LOL!

I just cooked 3 slabs on my K5 directly over the fire, and I guess they were
OK, my SIL cut them into single ribs as I unloaded them. I never got a
chance to taste. I think they evaporated.

BOB
practice, practice. PRACTICE!

bbq

BOB wrote:
> Cuchulain Libby typed:
>
>>Look, not to brag, but I just cooked three slabs in the LazyQ for 6 hours
>>(top right quadrant - the hottest shelf I'm guessing). Checked the ribs
>>thrice for the **** of it it ( bone up ) and monkeyed with the fire about 5
>>times. It gets easier the more you know/do. Those that et 'em proclaimed
>>'em... Oh yea, used mesquite too <G>

> LOL!
>
> I just cooked 3 slabs on my K5 directly over the fire, and I guess they were
> OK, my SIL cut them into single ribs as I unloaded them. I never got a
> chance to taste. I think they evaporated.
>
> BOB
> practice, practice. PRACTICE!

Just remember "The cook eats first".

Happy Q'en,
BBQ

Cuchulain Libby

"Brick" > wrote>
> Hound, what size wood do you prefer? I think my stuff is too big to be
> useful in a small fire. (3 to 4" diameter.) I'm thinking 2" diameter
> would
> be easier to control.

The LazyQ would eat up lesser stuff, I use 18" 1/4 or 1/8 splits. I have a
bunch off half-split oak that gets the little pit way to hot.

-Hound

BOB

,
bbq typed:
> BOB wrote:
>> Cuchulain Libby typed:
>>
>>> Look, not to brag, but I just cooked three slabs in the LazyQ for 6 hours
>>> (top right quadrant - the hottest shelf I'm guessing). Checked the ribs
>>> thrice for the **** of it it ( bone up ) and monkeyed with the fire about

5
>>> times. It gets easier the more you know/do. Those that et 'em proclaimed
>>> 'em... Oh yea, used mesquite too <G>

>> LOL!
>>
>> I just cooked 3 slabs on my K5 directly over the fire, and I guess they

were
>> OK, my SIL cut them into single ribs as I unloaded them. I never got a
>> chance to taste. I think they evaporated.
>>
>> BOB
>> practice, practice. PRACTICE!
>>

> Just remember "The cook eats first".
>
> Happy Q'en,
> BBQ

This was at a Q-Fest. I was also cooking in 2 other smokers at the time.
Those vultures just swooped down on my ribs, but I snagged some shrimp and
scollops that were awfully good!

BOB
who was well fed on many different grilled/smoked/barbecued foods all weekend

Brick

"Cuchulain Libby" > wrote in message

> "Brick" > wrote>
> > Hound, what size wood do you prefer? I think my stuff is too big

to be
> > useful in a small fire. (3 to 4" diameter.) I'm thinking 2"

diameter
> > would
> > be easier to control.

> The LazyQ would eat up lesser stuff, I use 18" 1/4 or 1/8 splits. I

have a
> bunch off half-split oak that gets the little pit way to hot.
>
> -Hound

I guess I don't understand what you mean by 1/4 or 1/8 split. The wood
I'm working from originates from eighteen inch to two foot diameter
trunk
sections. Even a 1/8 split would be a big SOB. My fire box will
accomodate
only about a sixteen inch length. But I think I get the message. I
have to find
the size that accomodates the size fire I'm trying to maintain. I've
seen the
pic's you posted of your fire box. And it's much larger then mine. Of
course
your pit is much larger as well. I'll post a pic on abf so you can see
what
I'm working with.

Brick.

Pork Butt ?? Sky General Cooking 63 06-05-2009 12:28 AM
Pork Butt/Slow Cooker Question ms. tonya General Cooking 79 11-09-2008 10:13 PM
Boneless Pork Butt Question Bruce K. Barbecue 5 27-06-2004 04:16 PM
Pork Butt Question Mark Barbecue 37 12-03-2004 07:45 PM
First Pork Butt- Thank You All Robert Lusk Barbecue 1 16-12-2003 09:24 PM