Graeme Walker

Default How do I make Suitable Chips for my smoker?

I have kindly been offered 2 scotch whisky barrels from the
Glenmorangie Distillery in Scotland for use as an experiment on
smoking trout. One is ex Sherry Cask used to blend whisky, the other
has just been used for whisky.
How should I break these down for use in my CharBroil H2O Charcoal
Smoker, and What size would be best suited
All advice & tips welcome
Graeme in London
Michael

"Graeme Walker" > wrote in message
om...
> I have kindly been offered 2 scotch whisky barrels from the
> Glenmorangie Distillery in Scotland for use as an experiment on
> smoking trout. One is ex Sherry Cask used to blend whisky, the other
> has just been used for whisky.
> How should I break these down for use in my CharBroil H2O Charcoal
> Smoker, and What size would be best suited
> All advice & tips welcome
> Graeme in London

I would begin with a large hammer. A table saw is then used to cut them
into 50mm X 50 mm pieces. Soak for a while in water before putting them on
the fire. We cut up an old bourbon barrel that way a few years ago.

Scott Post

In article >,
Michael > wrote:

>"Graeme Walker" > wrote in message
. com...
>> I have kindly been offered 2 scotch whisky barrels from the
>> Glenmorangie Distillery in Scotland for use as an experiment on
>> smoking trout. One is ex Sherry Cask used to blend whisky, the other
>> has just been used for whisky.
>> How should I break these down for use in my CharBroil H2O Charcoal
>> Smoker, and What size would be best suited
>> All advice & tips welcome
>> Graeme in London

>I would begin with a large hammer. A table saw is then used to cut them
>into 50mm X 50 mm pieces. Soak for a while in water before putting them on
>the fire. We cut up an old bourbon barrel that way a few years ago.

As a woodworker, let me suggest a bandsaw, jigsaw, or sawzall instead.
Tablesaws should be reserved for dead flat, straight boards otherwise
you risk a barrel stave through the stomach when the blade catches and
throws it at you.

--
Scott Post http://home.insightbb.com/~sepost/
JBSummer