FoodBanter.com

-   -   Waring MG100 meat grinder (https://www.foodbanter.com/barbecue/19032-waring-mg100-meat-grinder.html)

Spam Magnet 08-10-2003 11:59 PM

Waring MG100 meat grinder

I'd like to get started making sausage. I'd prefer to buy a grinder
locally and about all I've come up with is the Waring MG100 shown he

http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=prod...3681-576-MG100

Has anyone used this grinder? How do you like it?

Thanks.

notbob 09-10-2003 03:09 AM

Waring MG100 meat grinder

On 2003-10-08, Spam Magnet > wrote:

> Has anyone used this grinder? How do you like it?

I don't have one, but I saw it in Lowe's yesterday. While it looks
impressive, I think it's bogus packaging. That big 'ol case hides a
measly 150w motor. I can't imagine a motor that small hanging in
there when pushed. It might be adequate for grinding a couple chicken
breasts for chicken salad or enough beef for a few burgers, but I
can't see it pulling the load if you want to grind 10 lbs of sausage
and push it into a casing. I've got an old Sears grinder that's
barely adequate and it's got a 370w motor. Now, the drive goes
through a 90 deg set of bevel gears, but even with 30% power loss,
that's still 250w for grinding. And mine is half the size of the
MG100.

You might look at these grinders if you want some serious power.

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/meatgrinders.html

nb

notbob 09-10-2003 04:17 PM

Waring MG100 meat grinder

On 2003-10-09, Steve Wertz > wrote:

> My 300W Kitchenaid starts to overheat and barf after about 6lbs of
> brisket or butt chunks. 150W does seem a little weak.

Definitely. In fact, mine is not really any good at making sausage,
either. Running meat out of a grinder into a sausage tube is
basically a marketing gimmick, anyway. Real sausage making requires a
dedicated sausage stuffer, not a grinding/stuffing compromise. OTOH,
if one is just going to grind up a couple pounds of round for meat
loaf, these lightweight grinders may cut it, although 150w still
sounds pretty damn wimpy to me. I think I have a cocktail stirrer
with more muscle than that! :)

nb

Pierre 09-10-2003 07:36 PM

Waring MG100 meat grinder

(Spam Magnet) wrote in message news:<3F0hb.525704$cF.189530@rwcrnsc53>...
> I'd like to get started making sausage. I'd prefer to buy a grinder
> locally and about all I've come up with is the Waring MG100 shown he

http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=prod...3681-576-MG100

> Has anyone used this grinder? How do you like it?
>
> Thanks.

Based on notbobs recommendation of the innadequacies of a 370 w motor,
this site might offer some beefier <caugh> alternatives. Their recipe
book, available free online in pdf format, also offers tips, recipes,
etc. that look great for the first time sausage maker. (not affilated,
just a customer).

http://www.sausagesource.com/Merchan...tegory_Code=EG

Pierre

M&M 06-02-2004 09:47 AM

Waring MG100 meat grinder

On 8-Oct-2003, notbob > wrote:

> You might look at these grinders if you want some serious power.
>
> http://www.chefknivestogo.com/meatgrinders.html

That link doesn't go to grinders. (At least not anymore). I use
a Rival Model 2100M with a 225 Watt motor. It has no trouble
with ten pound batches. Mine is pretty old and has a solid
cast aluminum grinder housing with a plastic auger. I think
they're mostly all plastic now.

M&M

Bill 06-02-2004 06:52 PM

Waring MG100 meat grinder

In article m>,
says...

> On 8-Oct-2003, notbob > wrote:
>
> > You might look at these grinders if you want some serious power.

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/meatgrinders.html

> That link doesn't go to grinders. (At least not anymore). I use
> a Rival Model 2100M with a 225 Watt motor. It has no trouble
> with ten pound batches. Mine is pretty old and has a solid
> cast aluminum grinder housing with a plastic auger. I think
> they're mostly all plastic now.
>
> M&M

I've got a Krups 150 watt grinder. Woefully underpowered.
I fully expect it to burn up every time I use it, but so
far it just keeps turning, although slowly. I have a #22
cast iron hand cranker. They're a lot of work. My next one
will probably be a long the lines of:

http://www.butcher-packer.com/pg_gri...ctric_beem.htm

or something of similar size.

Bill