Old 20-10-2003, 03:56 PM
Jason

Default Chef Juke's Raspberry-Chipotle Barbecue Sauce

"Red" wrote in message gy.com...

I've only made it with seeds and my biggest complaint is
dealing with the number of requests to make more.

Here, here!

It's now my family's favorite sauce, but it has to be toned down since
most of them don't like good (read that as "hot") food.

I screwed up my last batch, though. I got in a hurry and didn't
measure out the preserves, assuming that the "about half a jar" was
two cups. Since we hadn't used the preserves for anything but that
sauce, I figured it was OK.

Eh...there was probably a bit more than 2 cups in there. This batch of
sauce is too thick at refrigerator temperature. Heated, it's fine, but
there's just too damned much jelly in there. It's still great, but you
don't expect to "scoop" BBQ sauce.

Is there any chance of fixing it?

Old 20-10-2003, 04:25 PM
John O

there's just too damned much jelly in there. It's still great, but you
don't expect to "scoop" BBQ sauce.

Is there any chance of fixing it?

The jelly is pectin. Good stuff if you want jelly.

When I make wine, I use pectinase, which breaks up the natural pectin in
each grape that makes them remain a jellied mass after crushing. The idea is
you get more liquid, and more wine.

Maybe you can pick up some pectinase at a wine-making place. Might cost a
couple bucks for a 2 oz. bottle. A drop might be a good place to start, but
I have no idea if this will really work. Maybe test it on some regular jelly
and see what happens.

-John O
--double yer money back guarantee on this advice. :-)